FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   NYC mattress runs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1934805-nyc-mattress-runs.html)

SFOPhD Oct 9, 2018 11:36 pm

NYC mattress runs

Are there any low tier Hyatts convenient enough to NYC for a mattress run? I’m ideally looking for a tier 2 close to a train.

Meadowlands requires a cab. LIC is on the subway but tier 3...

Shuli Oct 10, 2018 12:02 am

The regency on Long Island is not close to the city at all but it's pretty, a tier 2, near lots of Apple and pumpkin picking… a good quick weekend getaway

craigthemif Oct 10, 2018 12:58 am

It depends on how many nights you need. Anywhere with public transport to NYC is going to be expensive.

You best bet might be weekend getaways, or finding a really cheap Hyatt Place somewhere farther away, but flying in and out to do a long mattress run. (leave a note or talk to the manager about how you need a "base" for the week and will be coming and going)

Aventine Oct 10, 2018 4:27 am

HR Greenwich isn't the prettiest but could fulfill your needs.

hotelfanatic Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am

there are many sub $150 properties in NJ. You would just need a car to get there though. Princeton Hyatt is $122+tax weekend end of Oct. And Greenwich is $133 +tax.

If you are willing to go as far as Virginia, there are many sub 100 places in NVA.

speedytimmy Oct 10, 2018 11:44 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic (Post 30300216)
there are many sub $150 properties in NJ. You would just need a car to get there though. Princeton Hyatt is $122+tax weekend end of Oct. And Greenwich is $133 +tax.

If you are willing to go as far as Virginia, there are many sub 100 places in NVA.

You wouldn’t necessarily need a car to get to the Hyatt in Greenwich. You can take the Metro-North Railroad right from Grand Central. Just make sure you take the train to Old Greenwich, not the Greenwich station. The Hyatt shuttle will pick you up from the former station. The Greenwich station is four or five miles away.

spgplat21 Oct 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by speedytimmy (Post 30300349)

You wouldn’t necessarily need a car to get to the Hyatt in Greenwich. You can take the Metro-North Railroad right from Grand Central. Just make sure you take the train to Old Greenwich, not the Greenwich station. The Hyatt shuttle will pick you up from the former station. The Greenwich station is four or five miles away.

I did this a few times back in the FFN, G bonus, lounge closure bonus days. I miss those days (minus the recession of course).

hotelfanatic Oct 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 30300984)
I did this a few times back in the FFN, G bonus, lounge closure bonus days. I miss those days (minus the recession of course).

Me Too!!! I took a taxi back then and was not aware they had a shuttle. I only did it a few time as I was working in midtown and it was a pain to get back and forth. I also travel to Secaucus NJ Hyatt place Meadowlands via a bus at 42nd st. That was ok as the bus stopped in front of the hotel back then. And they had the best NY bagels around.

bostonpilot Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by speedytimmy (Post 30300349)

You can do the Princeton, NJ property on the train as well.

christianj Oct 11, 2018 6:08 am

Depending on how long you want to be on the train, the HP in Milford CT typically has weekend AAA rates in the mid-$80 range.

steveholt Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am

HP Greenwich is very cheap on the weekend, as others have mentioned, and it's a delightfully underrated hotel.

Realistically, I think it might be cheaper to find a cheap block of time in Vegas, fly there, and start a long stay at the Excalibur/Luxor at $49 per night before fees before flying back. And hey, you can take the subway to LGA!

jayer Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am

LIC is on the subway but tier 3...
Could you explain which line and station and walking directions between the hotel and station. Not Manhattan, but might be a good backup.

I presume no direct shuttle service to LGA?

Thanks

skj Oct 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 30304290)
Could you explain which line and station and walking directions between the hotel and station. Not Manhattan, but might be a good backup.

I presume no direct shuttle service to LGA?

Thanks

The Hyatt Place Long Island City is 2 blocks from both the Queensboro Plaza station (7, N, and W lines) and the Queens Plaza station (E, M, and R lines). I stayed at the HP LIC for a night last month and found it a convenient location, as well as about 50% of the cost of the cheaper Manhattan properties. No shuttle to LGA but Uber Pool was less than $10.

uppereastsider Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am

Hyatt Regency Morristown. Category 2, ten minute walk from the train station. Train takes about 66-70 minutes via NJ Transit from Penn Station

MikeFromTokyo Oct 13, 2018 6:57 am

Why does the tier matter? Is there some new rule with WoH re stay credit?

For cheap and accessible by train I wouls say Greenwich, CT or Princeton, NJ.

However, why not go somewhere nice and make the mattress run into a getaway? Park Hyatt in DC is inexpensive enough, and has the Blue Duck Tavern. Also PH Chicago. Newport, Rhode Island could also be a weekend getaway combined with sightseeing.

Greenwich wouldn’t be that bad. I would eat every day at l’Escale.