Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

About to hit 80 nights, any difference?

Old Oct 5, 18, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp. SPG Platinum, UA 2MM, Hyatt Plat, others of no/little significance

I was going to post this in the newbie thread but then thought that was ridiculous.

Im a globalist and not much of a points person. I'm about to hit 80 nights this year, which is slightly embarrassing, but true. Mostly in higher end hotels (Tokyo, London, Vienna, New York, Chicago). I think I'm close to $40K this year, probably more.

Is is there some point at which it's reasonable to expect differentiated treatment? I'm not thinking about red carpets and someone peeling my grapes, more like rooms with a view and maybe a welcome drink at the bar. The hotels I stay in don't usually have Hyatt Lounges (or whatever they're called) and I don't usually like them anyway.

Between now now and the end of the year, I have five nights in NYC ((Union Square) and seven nights at the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. Maybe a couple of nights at the PH Chicago.

Just remembered: I've got 5 nights in Mexico City (Hyatt Regency) too.

Whats reasonable to expect? To ask for? I was a super duper platinum at SPG, but their "concierge" was worthless. The Hyatt one seems slightly better, but I don't really know what to ask for. I've got about 500k points, not really sure what to do with them since whenever I try to use them it only gets me a tiny room with a view of an air shaft. That just seems sad.

Points gurus: what would you do?

Last edited by embarcadero1; Oct 5, 18 at 12:48 am Reason: Remembered Mexico City
Old Oct 5, 18, 4:26 am
formerly a193991
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Elephant (formerly known as Diamond)
There is a thread on this. I did not read in detail, as I tend to just reach GLOB again year over year. but I don't think there is much more to expect other than a TSU
70 - 80 - 90 - 100 Nights: Suite Upgrade or Points

Originally Posted by embarcadero1 View Post
I was going to post this in the newbie thread but then thought that was ridiculous.

Im a globalist and not much of a points person. I'm about to hit 80 nights this year, which is slightly embarrassing, but true. Mostly in higher end hotels (Tokyo, London, Vienna, New York, Chicago). I think I'm close to $40K this year, probably more.

Is is there some point at which it's reasonable to expect differentiated treatment? I'm not thinking about red carpets and someone peeling my grapes, more like rooms with a view and maybe a welcome drink at the bar. The hotels I stay in don't usually have Hyatt Lounges (or whatever they're called) and I don't usually like them anyway.

Between now now and the end of the year, I have five nights in NYC ((Union Square) and seven nights at the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. Maybe a couple of nights at the PH Chicago.

Whats reasonable to expect? To ask for? I was a super duper platinum at SPG, but their "concierge" was worthless. The Hyatt one seems slightly better, but I don't really know what to ask for. I've got about 500k points, not really sure what to do with them since whenever I try to use them it only gets me a tiny room with a view of an air shaft. That just seems sad.

embarcadero1 likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Oct 5, 18 at 5:32 am
Old Oct 5, 18, 4:51 am

Well, at your pace, in four years, you will be a Lifetime Globalist.

In the meantime, use your suite upgrades and then points to upgrade, and you should never be in a small room again.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 18, 7:26 am

Truly hard to believe they give you views of "the air shaft." I've been Globalist since it started and that's never happened to me. VIP treatment is the norm, as are lots and lots of complimentary upgrades. I realize some just don't seem to get this kind of treatment, but it's odd as I practically always do.

In terms of extra VIP treatment there is a higher level than Globalist/Lifetime Globalist (which is nominally higher) and that is called Courtesy Card. This is the non-published level similar to Global Services/Concierge Key at United and American. It's fairly mysterious what the criteria for earning a Courtesy Card is, but you might inquire with your Concierge about it.... surely they (or their manager) have an idea as to how you get one. Past rumors have been it's all about "who you know" but I also know it's about spending.... people who simply spend a lot of money with Hyatt (and aren't connected to an owner or executive) do have them. In order to get the treatment you desire, you probably need to figure out how to get one of these OR switch back to Marriott which has higher levels and presumably plans to offer commensurate levels of service (but we'll see if that really happens.)

Here's some other tips:

1. As others have alluded... You can spend 6,000 points per night for a guaranteed suite upgrade. Call or message through Twitter (my favorite way) to inquire about this. There are some rate restrictions but it's not terrible. I never do this, but if you've got points to burn then why not!

2. Use your TSUs! Good lord, why aren't you doing this (assuming you aren't)? You should get 7 or 8 of them! Again, guaranteed upgrades bookable in advance and not hard to use at all BUT you do have to call in or use Twitter. Easy to see if availability exists before calling, just do a search and look for "standard suite" availability.

3. Remember that some hotels have VERY few suites. Herald Square, for example only has one. I don't think Union Square has many, either. If they don't have it you can't get it.

4. Ask politely at the desk. Yes, I do this. I'm not pushy but I regularly ask "are there any suite upgrades available?" IF I haven't been assigned one. The trick is to be very polite and I've found the answer is yes about 70% of the time when I ask (of course, I typically already know the answer from checking the Hyatt app for availability right before I walk in the door). However, I've even had this work when the app shows NO availability!

5. Take advantage of the high value redemptions. You've got tons of points - use them at Park Hyatt's and Ziva/Zilara and Andaz properties. These are Hyatt's absolute best and there are some GREAT 2-3-4 cents per point redemptions with them! That means 400,000 points is worth $8,000 - $16,000! The Ziva Cancun is an absolutely amazing place to spend a long weekend..... If you are game for the long flight then the Park Hyatt Maldives is supposedly spectacular. City person try Park Hyatt Tokyo, etc., etc..... all of these are available for 30,000 points or less per night giving you a massive value. There are also wonderful Hyatt Resorts in Texas and Florida...

6. If you have deserving friends/family then Guest of Honor will make them feel very special and is a very cheap gift for you. They get your perks at any Hyatt including free breakfast, upgrades, club lounge, etc...

Last edited by lighthouse206; Oct 5, 18 at 7:36 am
Old Oct 5, 18, 7:49 am
formerly a193991
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Elephant (formerly known as Diamond)
Originally Posted by lighthouse206 View Post
In terms of extra VIP treatment there is a higher level than Globalist/Lifetime Globalist (which is nominally higher) and that is called Courtesy Card. This is the non-published level similar to Global Services/Concierge Key at United and American. ....
From what I understand in recent discussions in this thread (Has Hyatt ended Courtesy Card (except for property owners) ?), the Courtesy Card is gone.
Can you confirm differently?
Old Oct 5, 18, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
From what I understand in recent discussions in this thread (Has Hyatt ended Courtesy Card (except for property owners) ?), the Courtesy Card is gone.
Can you confirm differently?
My understanding is that it very much still exists. However, there have been some folks complaining vehemently about being downgraded to the pithy Globalist level.
Old Oct 5, 18, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp. SPG Platinum, UA 2MM, Hyatt Plat, others of no/little significance
Thanks, this is super helpful!
LonLH likes this.
Old Oct 5, 18, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
Strange.

Although I can imagine that the service in New York and Chicago can depend on how liberally you tip versus your status, everywhere else in the world is usually quite good. Impressive upgrades - both with and without applying TSUs - complimentary bottles of wine or fruit baskets, managers scurrying over to introduce themselves to a "valued guest", etc. etc.

And the more I use my Concierge, the more I value the total conveniences of firing off a 30-second email when I need something done, rather than calling up and spending 15 minutes minimum explaining myself then waiting on hold whilst it's done.
Old Oct 5, 18, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Strange.

Although I can imagine that the service in New York and Chicago can depend on how liberally you tip versus your status, everywhere else in the world is usually quite good. Impressive upgrades - both with and without applying TSUs - complimentary bottles of wine or fruit baskets, managers scurrying over to introduce themselves to a "valued guest", etc. etc.

And the more I use my Concierge, the more I value the total conveniences of firing off a 30-second email when I need something done, rather than calling up and spending 15 minutes minimum explaining myself then waiting on hold whilst it's done.
I agree. Strange. The treatment I recieve mirrors yours. Iíve even had great experiences in NYC (great upgrades, wonderful breakfasts, the works)... and I never tip the front desk.
Old Oct 5, 18, 9:46 am
Original Poster

In the past three months:

- View of a courtyard at the PH Vienna after I'd reserved a view of the Square. I was told this was an "upgrade". I rejected it and returned to the room type I'd booked.
- At the Andaz Fifth Avenue, a room looking directly onto a construction site where jackhammers get started at 7AM on a Sunday. I had to call to change. Rooms were same category as booked. The housekeeping staff removed the radio from my room one day, I thought I'd been robbed. House security couldn't care less. Bizarre.
- At the Hyatt Centric in Madrid, I was "upgraded" to a room directly under a night club with music loud enough to wake the dead that went on until 2AM. I called to ask to change, found out that they had no other rooms. I left the next morning.

Hyatt is generally better at higher end hotels than SPG, but if I have to pay money to the front desk to get a room where I can sleep, I'm not interested in that.

Maybe be I need to make better use of the concierge (and sent an email, per the suggestions here), but many of these things are under the control of hotel management. The complimentary breakfast is nice, but except at the PH in Vienna, I've had to ask. Otherwise, they seem reluctant to provide anything beyond the bare minimum.

Old Oct 5, 18, 10:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
In my experience (before becoming a Courtesy Card holder and since) the best upgrades go to Globalists with one or two night stays and for the frequent stayers at their property. There are obviously a number of Globalists each night that have to be prioritized. They don’t prioritize based on nights for the year nor on spend for the year. Someone has to get the best upgrades and someone the least.
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriot "member"
I'll hit 81 nights when a stay I finished yesterday posts later today. I don't have the spend the OP has though ! (My spend is ~15K I think; and 11 of my nights are from the CC)

As far as I understand it, with 40K in spend, you should at least ask if the courtesy card program still exists and if there is anything more you can do to be considered. I would surmise the number of nights doesn't mean anything compared to the spend level.

Originally Posted by mmgm View Post
In my experience (before becoming a Courtesy Card holder and since) the best upgrades go to Globalists with one or two night stays and for the frequent stayers at their property. There are obviously a number of Globalists each night that have to be prioritized. They donít prioritize based on nights for the year nor on spend for the year. Someone has to get the best upgrades and someone the least.
Agreed, which is why I pretty much never get upgraded (longer stays, and few hotels I frequent).

I was actually just thinking that a nice additional 'perk' would be a PSU (premium suite upgrade) at 100 nights or at some spend level (25K?). A lot of 'standard suites' are fairly meh....
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:37 pm

In the past three months:
While not as bad, my recent experiences as Globalist are reminiscent of yours. Substandard room assignments seem to be the norm and I am always surprised to read about the experiences of those who have high upgrade rates, sometimes approaching 100%. So, I've decided to give up and just start booking through a Hyatt Prive agent, or booking other brands (RC, FS, Shangri-La, whatever is available) and just maintain status through credit card spend on the new WOH card. Personally, the most valuable perk is the Guest of Honor, so I can gift my standard Glob benefits to friends and family who don't stay at hotels often but want a nice honeymoon or special trip. You may try looking into Courtesy Card as others have mentioned, or booking all PH, GH, Andaz, and some HR (not all HR are eligible) stays through a Hyatt Prive agent, which I believe are prioritized higher than a regular Glob booking.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 18, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, MR-SPG PP, HH Dia, WoH Glob
If you have spent 80+ nights and a large number of those nights were at one particular hotel, the hotel should already be taking care of you - they should know your room preference and likes/dislikes and pre-emptively upgrading you to suites. If the stays are spread across 20+ different properties, then it's a different story. One property may not treat you differently if they have a dozen Globalist checking in on a specific night. The properties know their frequent stay customers, but not someone that stay at their property only once or twice a year.
Old Oct 5, 18, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
don't you miss sleeping in your own bed?
embarcadero1 and JackE like this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: