Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC fall on a budget

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

NYC fall on a budget

I need some advice for an upcoming four night stay this October in NYC on a budget. I am not looking to exceed more than low $300s / night.

This is is a leisure trip for vacation and sightseeing. Just my wife and I and we are globalist if that makes any difference. Where would you recommend between the below options:

grand Hyatt $304/night or $269/night for 3 nights and 1 night at HH Jersey city for $224.

Hyatt centric TS $295/night

Hyatt herald square: $260/night.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by slm9555; Sep 18, 2018 at 12:11 am
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I'd skip the Grand Hyatt. Centric TS is pretty OK.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by slm9555
I need some advice for an upcoming four night stay this October in NYC on a budget. I am not looking to exceed more than low $300s / night.

This is is a leisure trip for vacation and sightseeing. Just my wife and I and we are globalist if that makes any difference. Where would you recommend between the below options:

grand Hyatt $304/night or $269/night for 3 nights and 1 night at HH Jersey city for $224.

Hyatt centric TS $295/night

Hyatt herald square: $260/night.

Thanks for the advice!
HH Jersey City is quite spacious and some rooms have views if you don't mind taking the train. Agree with other poster than the Centric is okay for the price and location. Herald Square is way too small.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
What is the price for the HR Jersey City during your stay? If that is lower than the Manhattan prices (which it often is) then I would suggest 2 nights there and 2 nights at the Centric. As Diamond/Globalist I have consistently had great rooms at the HR JC with amazing views of the city and I really like their breakfast - again with amazing views of the city. It's an easy trip into NY - Path to WTC then subway - but kind of nice to get away and have such great views. And then you'd have 2 nights in the middle of Times Square - I really like the Centric also.

(I have not yet stayed at the HH JC so can't comment on that property..)
95037 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NJNY
What is the price for the HR Jersey City during your stay? If that is lower than the Manhattan prices (which it often is) then I would suggest 2 nights there and 2 nights at the Centric. As Diamond/Globalist I have consistently had great rooms at the HR JC with amazing views of the city and I really like their breakfast - again with amazing views of the city. It's an easy trip into NY - Path to WTC then subway - but kind of nice to get away and have such great views. And then you'd have 2 nights in the middle of Times Square - I really like the Centric also.

I concur - I've been at HR Jersey City twice. Once on a TSU, my normal suite got upgraded to their largest suite (directly over the restaurant, massive ~800sf deck that you have amazing views of downtown). The other time got a nice upgrade from basic room to a better view room.

Also concur that they have a great breakfast.

And, the PATH is ~100 yards from the hotel, so as the above poster mentioned, it's a really easy trip across to WTC station.
95037 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:35 am
Formerly known as joannerose66

Programs: Gold BA Exec, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NJNY

HR Jersey City was my initial thought when I saw NY on a budget. Reasonably priced rooms, great view, and so easy to get across into Manhattan. Would recommend a stay there.
95037 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you will have lounge access at the Grand Hyatt, your food costs drop to close to $0.

Also, consider what you are doing in NYC. It's a big place and whether you spend 50% of your time on subways and buses can really change the dynamics and ability to get done what ever it is you want to do.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Of those choices, I'd take the Centric. It's far enough from TS to be okay.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I was able to book some weekday nights at the Hyatt Place LIC for $184 in Oct. I know is no where at the same level as the ones on your list but you are saving lots $$$ over 4 nights. And. is only 4 subway stops to Midtown...

This is the best HP in NYC.. rooms are relatively new and the windows keep the noise out. Parking is $20 if you have a vehicle.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! The HR JC is a good idea but for this trip my parents will be staying at the Sofitel NYC so the commuting time would be a deterrent.

Between thr Centeic TS and Grand Hyatt is the Centric the clear winner? Is the GH lounge half decent in terms of food?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by slm9555
Thanks for all the advice! The HR JC is a good idea but for this trip my parents will be staying at the Sofitel NYC so the commuting time would be a deterrent.

Between thr Centeic TS and Grand Hyatt is the Centric the clear winner? Is the GH lounge half decent in terms of food?
Between those two I don't think you have much a contest unless you REALLY care about free lounge food. The Centric is a nice hotel, in the most central location imaginable. They are also very good about Globalist perks, including upgrades. I have gotten 1 bedroom suites on two stays over the past year, including my last one on the 50th floor. Amazing view. The rooms are a tad dated and ready for a remodel, but still very nice, with floor to ceiling windows and great bathrooms. Service is good to excellent (especially for NYC) and the breakfast in the restaurant is cooked to order, and they are very liberal about writing off whatever you want.

I haven't stayed at the Grand but have heard mostly mediocre to negative reviews. Keep in mind it is an OLD building with a glass front (put on by Donald Trump himself), so you'll have smaller windows, smaller rooms, a worse-off location, etc., etc., etc....

For me, no contest.

Also - I wouldn't completely write off Herald Square. Yes the rooms are pretty small but not horrible. On the plus side, it's a GREAT location near but outside the hustle of Times Square. Herald Square itself is very nice. The service here is also very good, and the cooked-to-order breakfast is unlimited (and in my experience they will keep bringing you food such as fruit and pastries until you tell them to stop).

Both Centric and Herald Square (I prefer Herald Square in this regard) have AWESOME top floor observation deck/lounge areas that you can bring your family up to for a free view of the city. Herald Square is literally in the shadow of the Empire State Building...

Finally, IF playing with points (and I know you aren't) then the Park Hyatt New York is a crazy awesome value and IMHO the best of all the Hyatt's in NYC by a wide margin. I'd stay there every time if I could....
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
NYGH food is above half decent when compared to other US lounges. Breakfast have lots of variety. Evening can hold its own. If you never tried the NYGH lounge, you will enjoy it. Us frequent NYGH guest find it to be boring though. The convenience of having a lounge is a big + over not having one IMHO.

If you decide to stay at the NYGH, ask for room facing the back which have less traffic noise. Room numbers ending in 30 to 40 .
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For $9 (plus tax?) difference per night, surely the GH is the better value (than the Centric) due to its lounge offerings.

Isn't there a Hyatt right off Union Square? To me, that would be a better location than TS, although it won't have a lounge either.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For $9 (plus tax?) difference per night, surely the GH is the better value (than the Centric) due to its lounge offerings.

Isn't there a Hyatt right off Union Square? To me, that would be a better location than TS, although it won't have a lounge either.
Have you stayed at both hotels? My understanding is that GH is rather dingy (see Tripadvisor reviews) and the location is certainly not as good as the Centric which can matter greatly in NYC.

To each their own, but I personally value a cooked-to-order restaurant breakfast greater than a continental-style free for all buffet in the club lounge.... if you care all about the evening offerings (alcohol isn't free, and I don't eat dinner in the club lounge) then I suppose that might tip the scale in favor of the lounge....
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I think the GH and Centric are comparable location wise. In fact, I'd prefer the Grand-Central adjacent GH to the Centric, which is closer to Times Square, which is just... euugh. In all other ways, the Centric is far, far superior. The GH NY is a really poor hotel in Hyatt's portfolio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.