Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bali REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Bali REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Managed to upload some pics

Some breakfast fruits

Daybed/sofa in the living room

Large TV in living room

Luggage room/closet

Guest bathroom

Small table in living room

Bedroom

Breakfast in lounge

Drinks

Some more breakfast items

Tub

Fresh honeycomb in the club lounge

View from club lounge
tkelsay likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by superbobx2
We stayed in a family suite, top floor of the second building. It was plenty of room for us (family of four with a 1 and a 3 year old). You enter and there is a full bathroom with shower on the Left. Then comes a small table with two chairs, then the sitting area with a large (full size bed equivalent) daybed/sofa with coffee table and a huge TV. Not exactly expansive but more than adequate and nice to have some extra room.

Then on to the bedroom and between the two rooms there's a huge walk in closet where you can store your luggage - lot of space here, we really appreciated this feature. Then is the bedroom with good space - they provided a crib which tucked into the side of the bed area. The bathroom is quite large, with double vanities/toilet/shower/tub. Two balconies total. I don't know what we would have done with more space, it was more than enough for us.

Still haven't gotten around to uploading photos, sorry... if you have any specific questions happy to try to answer also.
thanks so much. I think we will just keep what we have considering both the regency suite and the family suite have regency club access. We have 10 people so two regency suite, one family suite, and one standard room should be enough. Each of the suites we put 3 adults so at least 9 people can get into the regency club
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:53 pm

Have a longer stay coming up at this property. Booked in a regency suite. Would the ideal room assignment at this point be a room with ocean views in building 2 or one with ocean views in building 3?
Old May 1, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mster
Have a longer stay coming up at this property. Booked in a regency suite. Would the ideal room assignment at this point be a room with ocean views in building 2 or one with ocean views in building 3?
Are there rooms with ocean views at this property? I didn't see that option on the website and my room certainly didn't have that.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:54 pm

Had a one night stay here. Nice property just on the edge of town. The club was really nice atmosphere. Food selection was decent. Not the biggest food selection I have seen in a lounge but still more than adequate. Breakfast was ok but didn't impress me as much. They clean the beach which is nice. Only time I saw the dogs was on the beach when I went down there before dawn. One of the dogs was a bit aggressive when I approached the beach. Eventually the dogs moved further down the beach but you would think they would have an employee out there shortly before dawn getting those dogs to move away from the hotel's beach. Once daybreaks the staff is out cleaning the pools etc and there is a lot of activity. I didn't swim in the pools but they are a nice design.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Red259
Had a one night stay here. Nice property just on the edge of town. The club was really nice atmosphere. Food selection was decent. Not the biggest food selection I have seen in a lounge but still more than adequate. Breakfast was ok but didn't impress me as much. They clean the beach which is nice. Only time I saw the dogs was on the beach when I went down there before dawn. One of the dogs was a bit aggressive when I approached the beach. Eventually the dogs moved further down the beach but you would think they would have an employee out there shortly before dawn getting those dogs to move away from the hotel's beach. Once daybreaks the staff is out cleaning the pools etc and there is a lot of activity. I didn't swim in the pools but they are a nice design.
Edge of town? It might have been that 30 years ago, but much of Bali is pretty built up.

If you read the whole thread, you’ll see comments about which buildings and floors have an ocean view.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Edge of town? It might have been that 30 years ago, but much of Bali is pretty built up.

If you read the whole thread, you’ll see comments about which buildings and floors have an ocean view.
Yes edge of town. Its on the edge of town like a five minute walk vs being in the center of everything.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
We found the room (Regency Suite) pretty good all around some smaller design flaws aside (who picked / signed off on the faucets I wonder, too short, haha).
​​​
The Club lounge was underwhelming to us. Breakfast okayish, bread is nice. Bali Alm yoghurt is nice. Asked for freshly squeezed OJ as the one in the fridge is apparently squeezed in the main kitchen 2-3 days in advance and then filtered to remove pulp as some guests didn't like it. Okay, but should be able to do fresh daily. Coffee is a bit meh, it is an automated Saeco which is not properly used in my book (cappuccino and latte come out exact same sad looking way in same cups). Is it that hard to get a proper machine and spend a little more effort here?

Evening drinks are poor in our book. Unless you like cheaper liquor (Red Smirnoff, Gordon's Gin, Johnny Walker Red) or Two Island wines incl. the sparkling one you won't be happy. I'm all for local products, but sub-par grapes from Australia shipped to Indonesia to be made into a poor wine is not our idea off that. We skipped it.

Overall, Club offering is weak we think, no afternoon tea and sandwiches / cakes either and no one ever bothered to explain the club offerings anyways (which apparently are only breakfast and evening drinks, nothing else, no laundry, no local phone calls, nothing). With some exceptions the offered products don't hold up to what should be a more premium offering.

For onsite restaurant, the Pizza at Pizzeria was very good and reasonably priced. Recommended.

Staff overall nice, a bit clueless at times. Typical, nothing bad.

Last edited by demue; May 3, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 9:06 am

How close do you want to be? View of 3rd building just off of the beach walk. Andaz/construction facing suites, but could see beach, on the right here. Ocean view would be somewhere behind the trees on the left.

View from balcony of regular room in the 3rd building. Suites facing the beach are ~3 rooms to the right of this view and set slightly forward of this. 2nd building would be ~2.5X further back as the front of building 2 connect to back of building 3. 2nd building it'd be ocean-facing and you could see the beach, but with the trees it likely would not be much of a beach view.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Any other massage recommendations besides Suar?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by demue
The Club lounge was underwhelming to us. Breakfast okayish, bread is nice. Bali Alm yoghurt is nice. Asked for freshly squeezed OJ as the one in the fridge is apparently squeezed in the main kitchen 2-3 days in advance and then filtered to remove pulp as some guests didn't like it. Okay, but should be able to do fresh daily. Coffee is a bit meh, it is an automated Saeco which is not properly used in my book (cappuccino and latte come out exact same sad looking way in same cups). Is it that hard to get a proper machine and spend a little more effort here?

Evening drinks are poor in our book. Unless you like cheaper liquor (Red Smirnoff, Gordon's Gin, Johnny Walker Red) or Two Island wines incl. the sparkling one you won't be happy. I'm all for local products, but sub-par grapes from Australia shipped to Indonesia to be made into a poor wine is not our idea off that. We skipped it.

Overall, Club offering is weak we think, no afternoon tea and sandwiches / cakes either and no one ever bothered to explain the club offerings anyways (which apparently are only breakfast and evening drinks, nothing else, no laundry, no local phone calls, nothing). With some exceptions the offered products don't hold up to what should be a more premium offering.
Here now and my experience with the club lounge is similar - same okayish breakfast offering, same substandard quality of drinks at cocktail hour. The breakfast offering in the main restaurant has a much larger selection of hot / cold buffet style prepared dishes than the club lounge so for most taking breakfast in the restaurant would be preferable. Juices seemed fresher in the restaurant too.

On the other hand the ambience in the club is dramatically better than that in the main restaurant - better location / surroundings, nicer layout, more upscale design, noticeably quieter, fewer kids etc..
sambo150 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:16 pm

Here now and my experience with the club lounge is similar - same okayish breakfast offering, same substandard quality of drinks at cocktail hour. The breakfast offering in the main restaurant has a much larger selection of hot / cold buffet style prepared dishes than the club lounge so for most taking breakfast in the restaurant would be preferable. Juices seemed fresher in the restaurant too.

On the other hand the ambience in the club is dramatically better than that in the main restaurant - better location / surroundings, nicer layout, more upscale design, noticeably quieter, fewer kids etc..
I'f we have a recency suite can we have breakfast in the main restaurant or are we limted to the lounge unless we pay for it?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by sambo150
I'f we have a recency suite can we have breakfast in the main restaurant or are we limted to the lounge unless we pay for it?
I'm not positive, but unless you're Globalist I don't see a reason why you'd be able to take breakfast in the main restaurant club room or no club room.
sambo150 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
We used our suite upgrade in March of this year. As diamonds, we had our choice to have breakfast at the club or at the main restaurant.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:04 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just spent a few days in Bali, split between GH and HR. A couple thoughts:

GH is definitely showing its age. We were upgraded to the exact same suite we had four months ago, and some of the maintenance issues we noted then still haven't been fixed – water damage to the ceiling, a sliding door that keeps derailing. If you want an afternoon shower, you need to run the water for 10 minutes to get it to lukewarm (mornings are fine). An animal lives in the air ducts and gets active at night. Occasionally, there’s a slight sewage/rotten egg smell. To their credit, they always give us a suite (without GSU), there’s a nice welcome gift (fruit/cookies/water/book/sarongs), employees are friendly, and the club is quite good.

At HR, we also got a suite (these weren’t open during our stay in January) – much smaller than the GH one, but brand new, and (to our tastes) very beautiful. Unless you need the extra space of the GH suite, the HR is the clear winner here. We were in Building 2, top floor with ocean view. No problems with construction noise from the Andaz; really no noise at all except some lawnmowers one afternoon.

The food/beverage at the HR club has already seen a bit of a downgrade compared to January. At the evening happy hour, instead of 4 hot items there are now 2, and they’re fairly mediocre – fried spring rolls, satays, meatballs. The live cooking station is gone, replaced by a noodle soup station. I don’t know if this is some sort of brand standard (GH Bali, HR Yogyakarta, and a bunch of other Asian Hyatts have this, as well), but obviously the effect is that guests fill up on cheap food. Basic alcohol flows freely (Bacardi, Smirnoff, etc), and the wine, as pointed out above, is barely drinkable. Desserts remain a highlight. For breakfast, Globs are now allowed to eat at the restaurant if they wish (that wasn’t an option in January). The restaurant breakfast is pretty nice, but we preferred the relative quiet of the club. Breakfast, as well, has seen some slight downgrades – in January, the fish option alternated between tuna tataki and smoked seabass (both excellent) – this rotation has now been broken up with some weak smoked chicken dish and some questionable mayo-rich salad option. Still, the food is tasty for a club lounge, and the option of full restaurant breakfast is generous compared to other Hyatts. Staff are very friendly (also true of GH, of course), but perhaps a little too chatty, and sometimes lose track of orders (my sparkling water, promised with a big smile, did not arrive two mornings out of four).

Both beaches were fairly dirty this time, mostly seaweed, but also a bit of garbage. Both hotels make an effort to clean up, but GH seems more active. Both beaches have stray dogs, but at GH (and other Nusa Dua hotels) they’re more peripheral. At HR, you’ll have 20+ dogs at the beach at any time. They mostly congregate under a big tree near the Andaz construction site, but you’ll also find them taking shelter from the sun under Hyatt loungers. Both beaches are public, but the HR has a lot more locals and “low-end” tourists around – some of these people feed the dogs. I didn’t see any dog poop and dogs don’t actively roam the HR grounds, but yeah, these dogs live here, and there’s nothing the hotel can do to get rid of them.

I think the bottom line is both hotels are quite good. During the stay, I was conversing on WA with a FT friend who’s trying to burn a Marriott Cat 1-4 cert at a beach location in Asia. In Bali, all the better Marriott hotels (Westin/Laguna/etc) are grotesquely over-categorized, the only “cheap” redemptions are Courtyards/4P (and the rest of beach-y Asia doesn’t hold a lot of cheap Marriott gems either). So I’m delighted that we have two excellent Hyatts here priced at 8k points. At the pre-adjustment rate of 12k (GH) vs 5k (HR), the HR was a clear winner. Now, with both hotels priced at 8k, it’s tougher to say. We give the HR a slight edge because of the beautiful, fully operational suite, and the fact that it’s not in Nusa Dua (dreadful location in our opinion). For the rest of the year, while we have legacy 5k redemptions, we’ll return to the HR. But in the future, I’m sure we’ll alternate between hotels, as the GH also has a lot of strengths.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.