Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bali REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bali REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by demue
@bhatnasx - Sorry a bit OT, but hopefully helpful.

Just a warning about transportation in Ubud area. There is a very strong "local lobby" that has made it close to impossible to get a Grab, Gojek or even Bluebird (this is an official and very good taxi company in Indonesia) in Ubud city and the surrounding area.

You may get lucky every once in a while with a Grab, but they often cancel on you when they see that you are in a "tricky" area. One example, we had to shift hotels and it was 9km distance i the Ubud area. Grab said 45k IDR, but no takers after 30mins. So the hotel got a local taxi guy who quoted 300k IDR. When I chuckled he dropped it to 250k IDR. I just told him that I didn't want to go to the airport (which costs about that much with a cab) and said no thank you. We got a free pick up from the other villa so problem solved.

I could have accepted 100k IDR given the situation, but this was a plain ripp off and very particular to the Ubud area. All the posters you see about "online taxi services being not allowed" are bogus. The police is officially supporting Grab, but Ubud is a stronghold that is resisting. You don't have such issues in Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, Sanur, Denpasar etc.
If that's the case, would you recommend just hiring a private driver every day to wait on you? The costs seem so low in Bali.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Used 35,000 points for one week in March. Used suite upgrade and got the regency suite which is $467/night. Score
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by krazieman
If that's the case, would you recommend just hiring a private driver every day to wait on you? The costs seem so low in Bali.
Depends where you stay. In Sanur area where the Hyatt is there is Bluebird and Grab and Gojek work quite well. In Ubud area a daily car & driver is a good idea if you want to head a few places. We had one for 3 out of 5 days (cost around 500-600k IDR for 10hrs).

Grab even offers an option now to book a car by the hour so if you stay in Sanur that could work well for making a day trip to Ubud or so. YMMV.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks, that's super helpful. I was just worried about the comments where Grab would cancel on you.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is always a risk that a driver cancels on you. However, outside of Ubud area I have not found that to happen too often. Occasionally only.

In the Ubud area it is very, very difficult to get a Grab. Even if one accepts, the risk of them cancelling on you is higher as it is a "problematic" area for them ruled by local drivers.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Used 35,000 points for one week in March. Used suite upgrade and got the regency suite which is $467/night. Score
I'm highly surprised you found one. I can't see a single day with suite availability.

It appears that no suites are bookable before March 1st.

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Jan 11, 2019 at 11:47 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demue
@bhatnasx - Sorry a bit OT, but hopefully helpful.

Just a warning about transportation in Ubud area. There is a very strong "local lobby" that has made it close to impossible to get a Grab, Gojek or even Bluebird (this is an official and very good taxi company in Indonesia) in Ubud city and the surrounding area.
I experienced the same when I was there and needed a ride back to the Element. In the end I just walked which was very taxing. But for a pick up from the hotel I never had a problem except when I requested a pick up from the Alila Ubud. It took me FOREVER to find a driver and then he wanted cash plus 100k or so extra to go back to Nusa Dua. I paid it but also reported that.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Any TRs with pics of the new (reopenned) HR?
Might burn some points for a March escapade, and would love to see info on:
1. Lounge offerings (BF, afternoon tea and evening cocktail hour)
2. Beach situation (loungers, cleanliness etc.)
3. Pool
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I'm highly surprised you found one. I can't see a single day with suite availability.

It appears that no suites are bookable before March 1st.
Call Hyatt. I found no suites online for my dates in late February but plentiful availability over the phone. 8K per night for the Regency Suite King (includes Club Lounge) is a steal. Apparently the balcony is almost as big as the suite itself.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold_Member

Call Hyatt. I found no suites online for my dates in late February but plentiful availability over the phone. 8K per night for the Regency Suite King (includes Club Lounge) is a steal. Apparently the balcony is almost as big as the suite itself.
Thanks I'll give my new Concierge in Japan a call and see what they can find.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

Before the remodeling, the suites had variable sized balconies. Top floor balconies were smaller than lower floors. I wouldn’t be surprised if this has stayed the same.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:20 pm

I did give Hyatt a call and the agent found availability for a Regency Club Suite for my dates in a few months time (4 nights) at 8K points per night and while on the phone I did cancel my existing Regency Club room reservations to free up the points and also topped up a few points to get the required amount (no buy points promo , but just burning some orphaned Hyatt points). Great value overall as the suite sells for ~480 USD per night over my dates plus 21% tax and service in Indonesia so ~580 USD per night. ^

Last edited by demue; Jan 14, 2019 at 9:31 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called Hyatt and the agent wasn't able to see anything. Basically the entire month of January or February. Either the agent didn't know how to search or the hotel has hidden inventory somehow.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Called Hyatt and the agent wasn't able to see anything. Basically the entire month of January or February. Either the agent didn't know how to search or the hotel has hidden inventory somehow.
Could be high season and inventory is gone?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Haven’t others written that the suites won’t be ready until March?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.