Wiki Posts
Search

Leaked: Fall WOH promotion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:38 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I’m trying to max our this promo and may hit 40N by the skin of my teeth. Two questions:

1. I know award stays count, I assume promo nights using a cert is the same thing?

2. Stays from Nov 30 - Dec 1 count right?
There are conflicting reports in recent posts here about whether or not stays that "straddle" the promo period will count. If you want to be certain you hit the 40 nights, I wouldn't count on the 30 Nov-1 Dec stay counting. Historically, Hyatt has always looked at the checkout date. Hyatt may have changed their IT system in the past 3 months, but other than an anecdote here, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:50 am

I have a 3 night stay nov 29-dec 2. Safe
to say I probably will not get any promo points?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:42 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slm9555
You said up-thread that you didn't get any credit toward the promo when you had a stay that straddled the beginning of the promo period. If it was me, I wouldn't count on getting any credit for a stay that straddles the end of the period.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

according to the ToS, this will count for 2 nights (Nov 29 and 30). Unlike other promos, there is nothing in the ToS of this promo that mentions checkout date, so you should be good. Every night during the offer period counts, regardless of checkout date.

If it doesn't happen automatically, you have 6 months to request that they fix it. This seems unlikely though because they successfully credited the correct number of nights for stays that straddled the beginning of the promo period; I don't see why the end would be any different. But, again, if they do mess it up... just fire an email within 6 months.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is a penalty because it does not qualify for the promo that requires a check out by 8/31 (andaz 2x) and the current promo that starts 9/1. My andaz stay 8/30 to 9/2 got neither promo.
If you're sure about this, you should email them. I had an 8/31 - 9/3 stay and it counted 2 nights. Your stay should count 1 night towards the promo. It's only 1 night though... are you sure it's not counting? You only get pts when you cross a threshold (5/10/20/...). Did you later have a stay of exactly 4 nights and not get any bonus pts?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you're sure about this, you should email them. I had an 8/31 - 9/3 stay and it counted 2 nights. Your stay should count 1 night towards the promo. It's only 1 night though... are you sure it's not counting? You only get pts when you cross a threshold (5/10/20/...). Did you later have a stay of exactly 4 nights and not get any bonus pts?
Yes, that is correct, and it was at the Andaz when they had the double credit promo.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that is correct, and it was at the Andaz when they had the double credit promo.
The Andaz promo did not overlap with this one.

I stayed:

8/31 - 9/3 (3 nights total, 2 inside promo period)
9/14 - 9/17 (3 nights). Got 2500 bonus pts.
10/6 - 10/8 (2 nights).
10/27 - 10-29 (2 nights)
11/9 - 11/12 (3 nights) Got 5000 bonus pts.

This confirms that my initial stay counted exactly 2 (not 0, not 3) nights towards the promo. I have a 6 night stay booked near the end of November. I also booked 2 nights locally this weekend to get me to 20.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
according to the ToS, this will count for 2 nights (Nov 29 and 30). Unlike other promos, there is nothing in the ToS of this promo that mentions checkout date, so you should be good. Every night during the offer period counts, regardless of checkout date.

If it doesn't happen automatically, you have 6 months to request that they fix it. This seems unlikely though because they successfully credited the correct number of nights for stays that straddled the beginning of the promo period; I don't see why the end would be any different. But, again, if they do mess it up... just fire an email within 6 months.
Do we have any confirmation that the night on Nov 30th DOES COUNT towards this promotion? Because a Hyatt Concierge flat out told me I "must be checked out on November 30th" (exact quote) for this promotion, which was so ridiculous I assumed the concierge was wrong, but I wouldn't want to risk 25k points on it.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There can't be any confirmation until after nov 30. I'd trust the terms of the offer over a concierge though. Employees generally don't know what's going on and give wrong answers to questions like this all the time.

I also would absolutely not ask a concierge this question under any circumstances. You already have something in writing (the terms of the offer) giving you the answer that you want. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong and you have to ask them to fix something, why would you risk getting something in writing with the answer that you don't want?

Read the terms, follow them, and if you don't get what you are supposed to, complain.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jn in ca
Do we have any confirmation that the night on Nov 30th DOES COUNT towards this promotion? Because a Hyatt Concierge flat out told me I "must be checked out on November 30th" (exact quote) for this promotion, which was so ridiculous I assumed the concierge was wrong, but I wouldn't want to risk 25k points on it.
Not ridiculous. This has been my assumption all along (check out by 30 Nov), although ultimately it's nowhere to be found in the T&Cs.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Not ridiculous. This has been my assumption all along (check out by 30 Nov), although ultimately it's nowhere to be found in the T&Cs.
Just because that's how past promos have worked doesn't mean it isn't ridiculous But reality can be ridiculous sometimes.

Did previous promos handle stays that straddled the start of the offer period in a way that made sense?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
There can't be any confirmation until after nov 30. I'd trust the terms of the offer over a concierge though. Employees generally don't know what's going on and give wrong answers to questions like this all the time.

I also would absolutely not ask a concierge this question under any circumstances. You already have something in writing (the terms of the offer) giving you the answer that you want. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong and you have to ask them to fix something, why would you risk getting something in writing with the answer that you don't want?

Read the terms, follow them, and if you don't get what you are supposed to, complain.
I have the exact opposite view. I am not a kid trying to "get away" with something. I am an adult spending my money in their hotels. When they make an offer I expect them to to give me clear answers about their own offer, or I'll stay with a competitor instead.

The last thing I would consider is NOT asking the concierge when I'm uncertain, spending my money anyway and then "hoping for the best." If I had an employee who acted that way, I'd probably fire them.

Just because that's how past promos have worked doesn't mean it isn't ridiculous But reality can be ridiculous sometimes.

Did previous promos handle stays that straddled the start of the offer period in a way that made sense?
Ha ha ha. Yeah, Hyatt has been all over the map for previous promos.

So I went ahead and asked the Hyatt Concierge again, and sure enough, this time I got the opposite answer.

Last edited by jn in ca; Nov 23, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jn in ca
So I went ahead and asked the Hyatt Concierge again, and sure enough, this time I got the opposite answer.
This is why I wouldn't answer. I'm not trying to get away with anything either.

The problem is, the employees don't know what they are talking about. You might think that it's their job to know, but that's not really how it works. It's not like they have a team meeting before each new promo to go over the details about how to answer customer questions. This is not unique to Hyatt.. it's true everywhere.

Now, the terms explain exactly what is supposed to happen. But suppose there is some IT screw-up and to don't get your points. So you send an email to ask for them, pointing to the T&C, saying that you are supposed to get them. The person reading to your email doesn't know how it's "supposed" to work any more than the first two people who have given you different answers to the same question. What they probably DO have is a record of the past emails that they have sent you. You really want them to give you what you are SUPPOSED to get (ie, what's detailed in the T&C), not some canned response that says, sorry, we already told you that that stay wouldn't count.

I'm not trying to get away with anything. I'm just keeping it simple. Follow the T&C; expect to get what's in the T&C, and, if you don't, ask for it (quoting the T&C as justification for your request). Anything else would just make things more difficult than they need to be.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by mnredfox
2. Stays from Nov 30 - Dec 1 count right?
Bonus points just posted from reaching one of the thresholds from a one night stay Nov 30-Dec 1.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ

Bonus points just posted from reaching one of the thresholds from a one night stay Nov 30-Dec 1.
NICE! So the T&C were right and they finally fixed this checkout requirement on promos?

If like to hear from someone who passed a threshold with Nov night but didn't check out until Dec 2 or later... (so there was a Dec night in the stay as well)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.