Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 59Impala
There is a Hyatt sub-forum for everything related to SLH, benefits, reviews, etc...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/small-luxury-hotels-slh-772/

would be nice if the forum would get a boost Cheers 59Impala

Paid stays are 10%+ cheaper if booked as an SLH member on its website. It, also, includes continental breakfast. (note from @59impala. I paid a 30% premium for The Plymouth Southbeach.) (antonius66 I observed 10-30% premiums for 2 hotels in Portugal over SLH direct, closer to 50% over OTAs)
A limited number of reviews of SLH properties may be found in the Other Hotel Chains Forum.
World of Hyatt members can earn 5 Base Points for every $1 USD spent on qualifying room rates and can redeem points for free nights at participating SLH hotels. It doesn't stop there, members can also enjoy exclusive in-hotel benefits when staying at a participating SLH hotel.
Complimentary continental breakfast for two
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
One category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)

Review Master Threads:
HGU New York: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1958701-hgu-new-york-slh-hotel.html
Byblos Art Hotel, Villa Amistŕ, Verona, Italy: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ing-hotel.html
SINA Centurion Palace - Venice, Italy - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...l#post31441012
Hotel Ranga - Iceland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1984015-hotel-ranga-iceland-small-luxury-hotel.html#post31442837
137 PIllars House, Chiang Mai, Thailand https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...hiang-mai.html
1906 Lodge Coronado (San Diego), CA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sland-slh.html
137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2007231-137-pillars-bangkok-small-luxury-hotel.html
Akyra Thonglor Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Opus XIV Bergen, Norway : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1983274-hotel-opus-xvi-small-luxury-hotels-bergen-norway.html
Ambassador Zurich, Switzerland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Inverlochy Castle, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-scotland.html
Cromlix, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...-scotland.html
Print Wikipost

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
The problem with this approach is that often times we end up having both a city thread and individual property threads in that city. Information ends up in two different spots which is not ideal.
True, but otherwise you end up with dozens of threads as everybody thinks their "GH or PH or Andaz in City X?" dilemma is worthy of its own thread.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:22 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The problem with this approach is that often times we end up having both a city thread and individual property threads in that city. Information ends up in two different spots which is not ideal.
The city threads are meant for comparison of hotels, the hotel threads are meant for reviews of individual hotels. The former helps compare, while the latter is more specific once you've narrowed down choices.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:38 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
As agreed with the moderators via PM I have started a new thread on an SLH hotel. I had issues in getting the promised benefits even when available (room upgrade)

Should you be interested... here is the link

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...l#post30775731

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by dw
One issue is that, like most hotel loyalty programs now, joining the free SLH Invited loyalty program and booking directly through SLH, loyalty program members are able to access a members only rate which is 10% discounted from the regular rate. Unfortunately, this rate is not being extended to WOH members booking through Hyatt.

(Also, note that all SLH loyalty members who book directly are granted complimentary breakfast as well.)
curious to see various DP related to booking directly via SLH (or even with TA like virtuoso) then adding hyatt number for the credits/points. im sure someone has done this already.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by helvetic
The city threads are meant for comparison of hotels, the hotel threads are meant for reviews of individual hotels. The former helps compare, while the latter is more specific once you've narrowed down choices.
Indeed in theory it's good. In practice I find many cities where there is only a "city thread" and individual comments about only one property end up there rather than in the property-specific thread, if it even exists. Myself included, if in one city there is a multi-year thread about a city and no property-specific thread for the hotel I visited because all comments about my hotel are in the city thread, I tend not to open a new thread for my review and just add my review to where all existing reviews are: the city thread. Otherwise comments about that individual hotel will end up in two different spots.

But for another city it might be that there are proper individual thread so it works fine. It is not very consistent.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
True, but otherwise you end up with dozens of threads as everybody thinks their "GH or PH or Andaz in City X?" dilemma is worthy of its own thread.
Yes this is like a virus but unfortunately even when there are city threads those pop up too. It gives work to mods...

Anyway, I will let greater powers decide on this issue
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by dw
One issue is that, like most hotel loyalty programs now, joining the free SLH Invited loyalty program and booking directly through SLH, loyalty program members are able to access a members only rate which is 10% discounted from the regular rate. Unfortunately, this rate is not being extended to WOH members booking through Hyatt.

(Also, note that all SLH loyalty members who book directly are granted complimentary breakfast as well.)
Unless booking one or a few SLH stays via Hyatt makes the difference between ending up the year at Globalist or failing to make the cut, I don't see the benefit of booking on Hyatt and pay 10% more without breakfast just to get night credits and points.

I will requalify for Globalist without the need for SLH stays, so that means any time I want to book SLH, I will do so separately from Hyatt. Before the partnership with Hyatt I rarely booked SLH and since I won't book via Hyatt, then nothing will change and I won't book at SLH more often than I did before.

The only exception to that is the opportunity to burn Hyatt points. If the points redemption is reasonable relative to cash rates, it will make sense to do it. But paying cash via a Hyatt.com? I don't see it at the moment.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:42 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Unless booking one or a few SLH stays via Hyatt makes the difference between ending up the year at Globalist or failing to make the cut, I don't see the benefit of booking on Hyatt and pay 10% more without breakfast just to get night credits and points.

I will requalify for Globalist without the need for SLH stays, so that means any time I want to book SLH, I will do so separately from Hyatt. Before the partnership with Hyatt I rarely booked SLH and since I won't book via Hyatt, then nothing will change and I won't book at SLH more often than I did before.

The only exception to that is the opportunity to burn Hyatt points. If the points redemption is reasonable relative to cash rates, it will make sense to do it. But paying cash via a Hyatt.com? I don't see it at the moment.
Globalists earn 6.5 points per dollar, and let's say points are worth roughly 1.5c each. Together, that pretty much covers the 10% cost difference.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Globalists earn 6.5 points per dollar, and let's say points are worth roughly 1.5c each. Together, that pretty much covers the 10% cost difference.
This is correct, but what about other benefits? Do we get free breakfast by booking on SLH.com and no breakfast with hyatt.com? And other minor perks such as early check-in late check-out, internet access, etc. I might be wrong but I think we would miss those perks as well.

To be fair, to complete the equation particularly on the value of points, if already Globalist then each night credit is worth 1k pts since it contributes 10% to a 10 night tranche worth 10k pts at 70, 80, 90, and 100 nights. So we can add a $15 benefit per night of booking via Hyatt.com on top of the 6.5*1.5=10%.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, M&M LT SEN, AZ Plat, WoH LT Glob, HH Diam
C

Although I understand your point of view for me it is a matter of coverage.
I’m in early retirement only traveling for leisure. I live most of the year in Umbria (center of Italy) frequently driving around Italy for little 2 to 5 days trips, including 10 to 12 stays (1/2 nights) per year in Rome. Until now I had only one hotel (PH Milano) that would allow me to get nights! Now I have 24 other hotels, some of which I have been staying in the past. In fact this year I already have 6 nights with SLH in Italy, most probably I paid a little bit more than I would have in other hotels in same cities, but I got the nights. For sure since this year no more mattress run needed to requalify.
So for me it means that Italy who was almost terra incognita is now on Hyatt map. I may not qualify because of those stays but it will make it a lot more easier. As I do not depend anymore of long distance trips/vacations.
The more hotels we get the more flexibility we get, in particular outside of the USA. I only wrote about Italy but Europe now is no more only London, Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich, Milano, Vienna and Germany. More coverage more choice then it is up to each of us to decide if it make sense to stay in a SLH or not. But on my side unless the price difference is outrageous I will rather stay in a SLH than another hotel in the same city. I will get quicker requalification and quicker lifetime status...

Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Glenlivet
For sure since this year no more mattress run needed to requalify.

I agree that if it makes the difference between Glob or no Glob, then paying cash for SLH makes sense. Or if you had to go out of your way to book at some hotels just to requalify, then paying 10% extra is probably better than a mattress run.

But for someone who will stay 60+ nights in Hyatt hotels no matter what, SLH is good for points redemptions but the value for cash bookings is modest at best. Not to say that it's completely useless, after all we can just stay away from SLH if we don't like it, but I wish that 10% Hyatt surcharge did not exist. I would have been quite excited about all the new hotels without the surcharge.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:22 am
formerly a193991

based on my ecperience staying at the Plymouth in South Beach... staying at an SLH hotel only makes sense where Hyatt has no footprint. i am paying a 33% premium to get the crefits. the Confidante and Centric were only minimally more expensive, and service and quality and breakfast are much better, especially breakfast benefit for Globs.

i agree to the situation in e.g. Italy. but here in Miami you have many Hyatt options.

Hyatt however needs to get the partnership right from the beginning, else ir will be another disaster like the Oasis one...

Originally Posted by Glenlivet
C

I’m in early retirement only traveling for leisure. I live most of the year in Umbria (center of Italy) frequently driving around Italy for little 2 to 5 days trips, including 10 to 12 stays (1/2 nights) per year in Rome. Until now I had only one hotel (PH Milano) that would allow me to get nights! Now I have 24 other hotels, some of which I have been staying in the past. In fact this year I already have 6 nights with SLH in Italy, most probably I paid a little bit more than I would have in other hotels in same cities, but I got the nights. For sure since this year no more mattress run needed to requalify.
So for me it means that Italy who was almost terra incognita is now on Hyatt map. I may not qualify because of those stays but it will make it a lot more easier. As I do not depend anymore of long distance trips/vacations.
The more hotels we get the more flexibility we get, in particular outside of the USA. I only wrote about Italy but Europe now is no more only London, Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich, Milano, Vienna and Germany. More coverage more choice then it is up to each of us to decide if it make sense to stay in a SLH or not. But on my side unless the price difference is outrageous I will rather stay in a SLH than another hotel in the same city. I will get quicker requalification and quicker lifetime status...

I agree that if it makes the difference between Glob or no Glob, then paying cash for SLH makes sense. Or if you had to go out of your way to book at some hotels just to requalify, then paying 10% extra is probably better than a mattress run.

But for someone who will stay 60+ nights in Hyatt hotels no matter what, SLH is good for points redemptions but the value for cash bookings is modest at best. Not to say that it's completely useless, after all we can just stay away from SLH if we don't like it, but I wish that 10% Hyatt surcharge did not exist. I would have been quite excited about all the new hotels without the surcharge.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:15 am
formerly a193991

what I now really cherish is the FREE BOOTLE OF WATER at Hyatts
I simply will not pay 8$ for a bottle of water, just because it is "Fiji" water. Aquafina does it too....

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 14, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would expect SLH to have small luxury bottles of water for guests. Not that Aquafina/Bonaqua swill.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

clearly one factor is whether one is even interested in their top properties or not

also remains to be seen what hyatt does with two roads, and WOH in general

Originally Posted by Aventine
I would expect SLH to have small luxury bottles of water for guests. Not that Aquafina/Bonaqua swill.
fregate used to be SLH. vs the cheapest SLH. even now extremely large range for "luxury" company.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:09 pm
formerly a193991

I also ended up paying a 30$ "resort fee" which would have been waived in a Hyatt as a Glob.

I honestly doubt this partnership will work in locations where Hyatt is present. I for sure will avoid SLH in those locations and only go places where Hyatt does not have a footprint with own brands...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.