Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 59Impala
There is a Hyatt sub-forum for everything related to SLH, benefits, reviews, etc...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/small-luxury-hotels-slh-772/

would be nice if the forum would get a boost Cheers 59Impala

Paid stays are 10%+ cheaper if booked as an SLH member on its website. It, also, includes continental breakfast. (note from @59impala. I paid a 30% premium for The Plymouth Southbeach.) (antonius66 I observed 10-30% premiums for 2 hotels in Portugal over SLH direct, closer to 50% over OTAs)
A limited number of reviews of SLH properties may be found in the Other Hotel Chains Forum.
World of Hyatt members can earn 5 Base Points for every $1 USD spent on qualifying room rates and can redeem points for free nights at participating SLH hotels. It doesn't stop there, members can also enjoy exclusive in-hotel benefits when staying at a participating SLH hotel.
Complimentary continental breakfast for two
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
One category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)

Review Master Threads:
HGU New York: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1958701-hgu-new-york-slh-hotel.html
Byblos Art Hotel, Villa Amist, Verona, Italy: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ing-hotel.html
SINA Centurion Palace - Venice, Italy - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...l#post31441012
Hotel Ranga - Iceland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1984015-hotel-ranga-iceland-small-luxury-hotel.html#post31442837
137 PIllars House, Chiang Mai, Thailand https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...hiang-mai.html
1906 Lodge Coronado (San Diego), CA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sland-slh.html
137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2007231-137-pillars-bangkok-small-luxury-hotel.html
Akyra Thonglor Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Opus XIV Bergen, Norway : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1983274-hotel-opus-xvi-small-luxury-hotels-bergen-norway.html
Ambassador Zurich, Switzerland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Inverlochy Castle, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-scotland.html
Cromlix, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...-scotland.html
Print Wikipost

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by krazieman
Has anyone stayed in an SLH hotel since the acquisition yet? I'm debating on moving my Shanghai stay on 1/10 to THE SUKHOTHAI SHANGHAI. But other than breakfast, it doesn't seem like I'd be getting any benefit as a Globalist.
And maybe a late checkout.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Not to be argumentative, but just curious ... was I reading right that via Hyatt, late check-out when available is 2pm ... versus 3pm under the SLH program?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by sapguy
So looks like we are still not completely very clear about the relationship between Hyatt and SLH, aside from the speculations?

I am not in the 'complaining' camp and view this partnership as positive.

In fact, I am considering using my Globalist Promo Night at SLH's Les Etangs de Corot near Paris, to sample its Michelin-starred restaurant. Anyone has any experience with this property and especially how Globalists are treated?
I have been looking at this place ... I like the area; will be in Versailles in March and will stop in to check it out.

But one thing I think I like about it is that it's fairly cheap -- I was just looking at 189euros/night via Hyatt (less under SLH?) in May... would not use the Globalist cert (cat 7) at those prices. In fact, using the Globalist cert at PHV during March trip....
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:54 pm

So as a globalist we can get 2 pm checkout and use points at SLH hotels. We don't get night credit for requal donwe?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I have been looking at this place ... I like the area; will be in Versailles in March and will stop in to check it out.

But one thing I think I like about it is that it's fairly cheap -- I was just looking at 189euros/night via Hyatt (less under SLH?) in May... would not use the Globalist cert (cat 7) at those prices. In fact, using the Globalist cert at PHV during March trip....
Just checked the rates at Corot and you are right in that they are quite low! Will save the Globalist cert for more a more pricey property.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:49 pm

Anyone know/have a list of SLH properties that are opting out of WOH?

I have a friend that works at SLH and he told me that his hotel (in SF) just opted out of Hyatt. He said it sucks cause he wanted to lateral to a SLH prop overseas and now is uncertain of the situation.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
Anyone know/have a list of SLH properties that are opting out of WOH?.....
Only a small number of SLH properties have signed on with WoH. I don't know if there is a list other than searching on hyatt.com. More properties may join as contracts are negotiated with individual properties.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:30 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by TerryK
Only a small number of SLH properties have signed on with WoH. I don't know if there is a list other than searching on hyatt.com. More properties may join as contracts are negotiated with individual properties.
I also used the list on their page https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/promo/sm...s-of-the-world for my map. They also state there that "This is only the beginning, new SLH hotels are being added so keep checking back."
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist and HHonors Diamond
A quick question for those looking to book SLH properties this year - the rate offered via Hyatt in some cases (I am looking at Pangkor Laut) is significantly higher than restricted or flexible rates offered by the hotel itself.

Does anyone have a sense if Hyatt will be trying to get closer to the hotel's rates else the Hyatt benefits seem trivial (Pangkor Laut offers breakfast on all bookings) relative to the price difference.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:03 am

It's a head-scratcher. I'm a big Hyatt fan and normally go well out of my way to stay / book via Hyatt. I would normally write, "It's always worth it," but this SLH thing has me puzzled. So far, I have not seen cases (where I was actually looking for rooms, not searching widely to make or refute a point) where it makes sense to book through Hyatt. The Globalist benefits don't carry over in any reasonable way, especially given the existing SLH benefits. In fact, if I was reading correctly, the late checkout is 2pm via Hyatt ... and 3pm via SLH. I mean, sure -- when it gets late in the year, and one is counting down toward 55 or 60 nights, or some other specific target, a calculation of excess hotel room cost vs. opportunity cost / annoyance of manufacturing key end-year nights via Chase WoH credit card spend might tip the balance to booking via Hyatt instead of SLH. But this early in the year, I am disinclined to pay extra as against that event.

Which brings me to your question: I'm guessing that, no, Hyatt isn't going to move in that direction. I'm thinking both parties were / are trying to get something for close to nothing without getting too far into other's business -- thus, that this isn't that important to Hyatt.

But -- seriously -- what do I know?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Anyone have experience with the legacy SLH properties in London? The wife and I are going for 3 nights in early May to get away from the kiddos and want to use Hyatt points. I am a Globalist. We are looking st the Andaz Liverpool or one of the SLH properties (which would be charming but with less Globalist frills) anyone have experiences or opinions between the Andaz and SLH in London?

We value location, breakfast quality, charm, and comfort.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beofotch
Anyone have experience with the legacy SLH properties in London? The wife and I are going for 3 nights in early May to get away from the kiddos and want to use Hyatt points. I am a Globalist. We are looking st the Andaz Liverpool or one of the SLH properties (which would be charming but with less Globalist frills) anyone have experiences or opinions between the Andaz and SLH in London?

We value location, breakfast quality, charm, and comfort.
No experience but I'm interested in this as well.

I'm doing two overnight layovers in London within a week of each other (one in each direction of a trip) The "real" Hyatts don't seem to be particularly conveniently located (particularly for my first stay, where I have a 6:15am flight out of LGW, and the closest real Hyatt is the regency, 25 miles from the airport -- staying closer might buy me some extra sleep)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
It's a head-scratcher. I'm a big Hyatt fan and normally go well out of my way to stay / book via Hyatt. I would normally write, "It's always worth it," but this SLH thing has me puzzled. So far, I have not seen cases (where I was actually looking for rooms, not searching widely to make or refute a point) where it makes sense to book through Hyatt. The Globalist benefits don't carry over in any reasonable way, especially given the existing SLH benefits. In fact, if I was reading correctly, the late checkout is 2pm via Hyatt ... and 3pm via SLH. I mean, sure -- when it gets late in the year, and one is counting down toward 55 or 60 nights, or some other specific target, a calculation of excess hotel room cost vs. opportunity cost / annoyance of manufacturing key end-year nights via Chase WoH credit card spend might tip the balance to booking via Hyatt instead of SLH. But this early in the year, I am disinclined to pay extra as against that event.

Which brings me to your question: I'm guessing that, no, Hyatt isn't going to move in that direction. I'm thinking both parties were / are trying to get something for close to nothing without getting too far into other's business -- thus, that this isn't that important to Hyatt.

But -- seriously -- what do I know?
I agree. I've been impressed with most Hyatt decisions over the past year or so, except the C&P devaluation (another one I don't understand... why not let the properties decide what they want to offer as many were happy to offer C&P at the previous rates), but anyway, but this one blows, too.

For us loyalists, its a slap in the face that they expect us to book at Hyatt.com and the rates don't AT LEAST mirror those available from SLH directly... How stupid do they think we are? The tiny number of participating properties is also a major disappointment and it's hard to understand why they AREN'T participating! Even with a % going to Hyatt it looks like they are getting the same or better rates than they get from their own reservation system! Who wouldn't want that?

All hype and no substance/value. Thanks Hyatt!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:30 am

I'm shocked that this turned out to be a big underwhelming "meh" so far.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
SPG had a similar arrangement with Desgn Hotels, as Marriott does now since the Marriott SPG acquisition.

There were and still are many instances where Design Hotels booked Independently or through the Design channel we’re and are less expensive than those booked via SPG and now Marrriott. That’s the small price one pays by earning elite nights and points, I suppose. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether or not the additional cost is worth it.

Even today, Marriott Design Hotels do not provide more than basic elite benefits for Marriott elites even when booked through Marriott. Platinum suite upgrades and breakfast benefit are not on offer.

For Marriott elites, Design hotels are another option available to us that allow us to earn points and nights if the value proposition works for us. In some locations, the Design hotel can be the only hotel option available for us and so may be worth it to spend a bit more for some. In other locations, the Design hotel is one of many other Marriott options, and onky those who particularly appreciate the Design property for various reasons may be so inclined to choose that over a regular Marriott options.

But in all cases, most of us think it’s better to have the Design option—even if we don’t use it because it’s too expensive or doesn’t offer benefits—than to not have the option at all. No one is forced to stay at a Design hotel, after all.

The SPG arrangement also began with just a handful of properties that signed onto the SPG platform. Most didn’t. But in time, most of the Design hotels have moved to being available on the now Marriott platform. So be patient. They are independent hotels that require more time to be added to broad hotel chain systems!

I think Hyatt elites should be looking at the SLH arrangement in similar fashion. It’s better to at least have an option where no other Hyatt option exists (which is unfortunately true in far too many locations) than to not have the option at all. Everyone can decide for themselves whether the value-add and possible additional cost is worth it for their own stays. If the SLH options don’t appeal, then Hyatt elites are no worse off than they were otherise.

Thus far, despite many years of 100+ nights, I’ve now only stayed twice at a Design hotel: the La Bandita Townhouse in Pienza, Italy, where there was no other Marriott option at all, and Atlantis by Giardino in Zurich, because it seemed more luxurious and more appealing than the Marriott Autograph property also available. We would stay again at La Bandita in a heart beat. And Atlantis, despite some air con and Swiss service issues and fails, truly is a magnificent property that we could consider again. (Though I might prefer the Park Hyatt for our next stay!)

SLH is an added option for Hyatt members. Sometimes it will work for you. Sometimes it won’t.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:27 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.