Hyatt Cancun Zilara vs Ziva

Old Aug 1, 18, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Hyatt Cancun Zilara vs Ziva

My wife and I booked a trip to the Adults only in Zilara in Cancun for 2 nights on Sept 14 using my Chase certs. We wanted to do Rose Hall, but it seems perpetually booked.

We want to extend the trip another night or two using Chase points converted to Hyatt pts (25K per night) but which hotel would be better of the Zilara vs Ziva? It seems the Ziva has some additional restaurant options such as the French La Bastille and the Tequila bar? How good are those restaurants and are they worth putting up with other people's kids vs staying at the Adult's only the whole time? (Also Zilara isn't even available the 17th so we could only stay there 3 nights max).

And how are the beaches and waves at each one?
Old Aug 1, 18, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 View Post
My wife and I booked a trip to the Adults only in Zilara in Cancun for 2 nights on Sept 14 using my Chase certs. We wanted to do Rose Hall, but it seems perpetually booked.

We want to extend the trip another night or two using Chase points converted to Hyatt pts (25K per night) but which hotel would be better of the Zilara vs Ziva? It seems the Ziva has some additional restaurant options such as the French La Bastille and the Tequila bar? How good are those restaurants and are they worth putting up with other people's kids vs staying at the Adult's only the whole time? (Also Zilara isn't even available the 17th so we could only stay there 3 nights max).

And how are the beaches and waves at each one?
Frequent guest at both. For us (no kids) there's no question - the Ziva is better but that's not to say Zilara isn't great too.

However, to your points:

Ziva has the best location of ANY resort in Cancun. Ziva sits on a peninsula with gorgeous water on three sides. It has access to TWO fantastic beaches which are the best I've ever seen in Mexico. You'll see fish and other marine life on the north side beach (not likely anywhere else nearby). You'll also have CALM clear water to bob and swim in. At Zilara, you will front a single beach and there's a good chance it will be too rough to swim or even wade in (with lifeguards there to enforce keeping you out of the water). Beyond the gorgeous unbeatable location (tons of friendly Iguanas, too!), at Ziva you are also walking distance to the heart of Cancun (shops, clubs, etc...) BUT you will never know it because the Ziva remains quiet and gorgeous at all times. Hard to overstate the Ziva's location, as it's just amazing and unbeatable....

Food/Drink:

I really think the food situation is about the same at both resorts (they are owned and managed by the same people: Playa Resorts, and a Hyatt franchise). Bastille can be VERY good.... We also absolutely LOVE Habaneros at Ziva (it's like a beach shack restaurant on that GORGEOUS beach with fish and hammocks in the water.) You'll find awesome tacos, ceviche, shrimp cocktails, and a lot more there... and theres nothing really like Habaneros at Zilara. On the flipside, I think the Zilara buffet MIGHT be a tad better, but I didn't like the Chef's Table (highest end restaurant) there at all. Many many more options at Ziva, and quality is basically the same with perhaps a few exceptions...

Kids:

Yes there are kids at Ziva, but we've never found them to be a major problem. We were just there last week (at the PEAK of kid season) and I would call it a minor nuisance at worst. At other times of year when we've been there (non-summer or school breaks) the kids have been quite scarce, and no issue at all. If you really want to avoid them, try to score an upgrade to the Turquoize Tower (adults only) and you'll also have access to the spa (no kids) (and BOY is it gorgeous!!) and also an adults-only pool area which has crazy awesome views. My guess is your looking at $50-$100 more per night for Turquoize if you bargain with them a bit upon arrival. For us, Turquoize is fun, but it's not a deal breaker (I can frequently get it for free thanks to Globalist status)...

Final notes - I hear Zilara is under renovation and this is an issue for some people. It could use a renovation as some areas are a bit outdated. Ziva still feels brand new... I will say that the nighttime entertainment at Zilara IS better - but you'll also see more completely drunk red necky types in the pools, too, and you really don't see much of that at Ziva for some reason.

For us, it's no contest, even without kids, we strongly prefer the Ziva, and likely won't stay at Zilara again. Also, if you've never been to Playa Del Carmen, another option should be the Grand Hyatt there. It is also a WONDERFUL experience (but completely different) in a very very cool town where everything is within walking distance. Net cost is usually about the same...
Old Aug 1, 18, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Great review- thanks.

Is is it true the resorts are a half mile apart? Can we get free hotel transportation from one to the other? Also are there any cross resort privileges when staying at one like there is in Jamaica?
Old Aug 1, 18, 12:22 pm

Great review- thanks.

Is is it true the resorts are a half mile apart? Can we get free hotel transportation from one to the other? Also are there any cross resort privileges when staying at one like there is in Jamaica?
I think itís more like a mile or two. No free transportation that Iím aware of but a taxi would be about $5 each way Iíd guess.

I think there are some cross resort privileges if you ask....
Old Aug 1, 18, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 View Post

I think itís more like a mile or two. No free transportation that Iím aware of but a taxi would be about $5 each way Iíd guess.

I think there are some cross resort privileges if you ask....
I've never been to Zilara but been to Ziva twice. Ziva guests can use Zilara restaurants vice versa.
Old Aug 1, 18, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Great review- thanks.

Others are correct, it's right around two miles.
- Uber was $5 or so
- It's a pretty walk along the beach. No obstructions along the way.
- You do have ability to do lunch/dinner reservations at the other resort.
- I didn't have any problems getting drinks/snacks at the other resort either.
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Others are correct, it's right around two miles.
- Uber was $5 or so
- It's a pretty walk along the beach. No obstructions along the way.
- You do have ability to do lunch/dinner reservations at the other resort.
- I didn't have any problems getting drinks/snacks at the other resort either.
Iíve been warned repeatedly to not use Uber in Mexico. There is open physical hostility between Taxi drivers and Uber drivers and I would also be concerned about personal safety with Uber there. I donít believe the resorts allow Uber onsite, either.

Let the hotel call you a Taxi. The taxis Iíve ridden in have all been fine: cheap, safe, and clean. Rates are all published in writing, too.
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Iíve been warned repeatedly to not use Uber in Mexico. There is open physical hostility between Taxi drivers and Uber drivers and I would also be concerned about personal safety with Uber there. I donít believe the resorts allow Uber onsite, either.

Let the hotel call you a Taxi. The taxis Iíve ridden in have all been fine: cheap, safe, and clean. Rates are all published in writing, too.
I've never ridden in a taxi in any country where I didn't feel like the driver was trying to overcharge me or refused to allow Visa payment even though he had a decal on the window or refused to take my USD. This is 2018 after all and when I travel I generally prefer to pay for everything I can with a no exchange fee credit card and not have to carry foreign currency that is hard to transfer back to USD...
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:47 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I would second Lighthouse106 response. We prefer Ziva, and Turquoise is heavenly.
Old Aug 2, 18, 5:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy platinum
Frequent guest at both. For us (no kids) there's no question - the Ziva is better but that's not to say Zilara isn't great too.

However, to your points:

Ziva has the best location of ANY resort in Cancun. Ziva sits on a peninsula with gorgeous water on three sides. It has access to TWO fantastic beaches which are the best I've ever seen in Mexico. You'll see fish and other marine life on the north side beach (not likely anywhere else nearby). You'll also have CALM clear water to bob and swim in. At Zilara, you will front a single beach and there's a good chance it will be too rough to swim or even wade in (with lifeguards there to enforce keeping you out of the water). Beyond the gorgeous unbeatable location (tons of friendly Iguanas, too!), at Ziva you are also walking distance to the heart of Cancun (shops, clubs, etc...) BUT you will never know it because the Ziva remains quiet and gorgeous at all times. Hard to overstate the Ziva's location, as it's just amazing and unbeatable....

Food/Drink:

I really think the food situation is about the same at both resorts (they are owned and managed by the same people: Playa Resorts, and a Hyatt franchise). Bastille can be VERY good.... We also absolutely LOVE Habaneros at Ziva (it's like a beach shack restaurant on that GORGEOUS beach with fish and hammocks in the water.) You'll find awesome tacos, ceviche, shrimp cocktails, and a lot more there... and theres nothing really like Habaneros at Zilara. On the flipside, I think the Zilara buffet MIGHT be a tad better, but I didn't like the Chef's Table (highest end restaurant) there at all. Many many more options at Ziva, and quality is basically the same with perhaps a few exceptions...

Kids:

Yes there are kids at Ziva, but we've never found them to be a major problem. We were just there last week (at the PEAK of kid season) and I would call it a minor nuisance at worst. At other times of year when we've been there (non-summer or school breaks) the kids have been quite scarce, and no issue at all. If you really want to avoid them, try to score an upgrade to the Turquoize Tower (adults only) and you'll also have access to the spa (no kids) (and BOY is it gorgeous!!) and also an adults-only pool area which has crazy awesome views. My guess is your looking at $50-$100 more per night for Turquoize if you bargain with them a bit upon arrival. For us, Turquoize is fun, but it's not a deal breaker (I can frequently get it for free thanks to Globalist status)...

Final notes - I hear Zilara is under renovation and this is an issue for some people. It could use a renovation as some areas are a bit outdated. Ziva still feels brand new... I will say that the nighttime entertainment at Zilara IS better - but you'll also see more completely drunk red necky types in the pools, too, and you really don't see much of that at Ziva for some reason.

For us, it's no contest, even without kids, we strongly prefer the Ziva, and likely won't stay at Zilara again. Also, if you've never been to Playa Del Carmen, another option should be the Grand Hyatt there. It is also a WONDERFUL experience (but completely different) in a very very cool town where everything is within walking distance. Net cost is usually about the same...
We've been to both. Hands down Ziva is better. We will never go back to Zilara. Kids aren't a problem, they seem to be on one side of the peninsula mainly and if you are in turquoise you don't even notice them. Fantastic food options! Warning, don't forget your sunscreen, it's like $22 a bottle there....
Old Feb 28, 21, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I just booked a stay at Zilara. The total amount on the Hyatt app doesn't list any tax or resort fees. Anybody know what the daily fees are and maybe the percentage of tax or any other fees?
Old Feb 28, 21, 9:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
The price you see on Hyatt.com included the tax. In my last Dec's stay, the total charge was 3,512 MXN with 3,003 MXN (US$ 149.75) eligible spend. GP base points earned: 749.

Not sure if there is a separate resort fee, so about 14.5% in tax for Diamonds.
Old Feb 28, 21, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by 168 View Post
The price you see on Hyatt.com included the tax. In my last Dec's stay, the total charge was 3,512 MXN with 3,003 MXN (US$ 149.75) eligible spend. GP base points earned: 749.

Not sure if there is a separate resort fee, so about 14.5% in tax for Diamonds.
Thanks a bunch. I'm trying to make globalist and staying at the Zilara for 15 nights will get me to globalist and complete my mission.
Old Mar 8, 21, 7:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
Thanks a bunch. I'm trying to make globalist and staying at the Zilara for 15 nights will get me to globalist and complete my mission.
Ha, I just stayed 8 nights a couple weeks ago at Ziva plus a Hyatt airport hotel stay. Bam, 9 turned into 18 nights.

I'm a few nights away from Globalist.

I will stay at Hyatts for about the next 2 yrs now. LOL
Smart move by them.

I also echo another poster above. I don't think I'll ever stay at Zilara Cancun. I see now upside. The property isn't better and I saw no kids in the south pool anyway which was closer to TT.
Old Mar 8, 21, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Busymann View Post
Ha, I just stayed 8 nights a couple weeks ago at Ziva plus a Hyatt airport hotel stay. Bam, 9 turned into 18 nights.

I'm a few nights away from Globalist.

I will stay at Hyatts for about the next 2 yrs now. LOL
Smart move by them.

I also echo another poster above. I don't think I'll ever stay at Zilara Cancun. I see now upside. The property isn't better and I saw no kids in the south pool anyway which was closer to TT.
I have since made two reservations for the Zilara. Total of 17 nights. It seems most people like the Ziva, but I'm just afraid that my time there would be totally ruin by undisciplined kids running around.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: