Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancun Zilara vs Ziva

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Thank you very much! This is the information I was looking for because so much disinformation on the internet, including information directly from Hyatt Ziva last year on tripadvisor. Much appreciated!

Flyer Talk rules by the way. I can receive more information here than anywhere else. I heard back from Hyatt Ziva after I sent a second email, and they said to rebook for 6 days. My problem with their customer service is they don't answer questions, they just put their two cents in about it. Why couldn't they just answer my question and say complimentary shuttle service is for bookings of 6+ days. Why was it necessary for them to type all this other nonsense. And actually, I sense some kind of attitude in their email. I sure hope the other employees are nicer. The only reason I was considering Ziva was because the prices are a lot lower for the extra days I have in Cancun or I would just extend my stay at Zilara.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Mar 10, 2021 at 12:06 pm
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Final booking will be 3 nights in TT sky, and 3 nights in a standard room and then back to the residence inn. That should give me a good idea of what to book next time.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Final booking will be 3 nights in TT sky, and 3 nights in a standard room and then back to the residence inn. That should give me a good idea of what to book next time.
I'd also be interested to hear your thoughts on the Residence Inn. It's not in the same league as the Ziva/Zilrara, but it's very cheap (~$50++ a night) and a new build. Plus the Marriott double nights promo.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I'd also be interested to hear your thoughts on the Residence Inn. It's not in the same league as the Ziva/Zilrara, but it's very cheap (~$50++ a night) and a new build. Plus the Marriott double nights promo.
Yeah, I know! Cheap plus double points. Can't beat that especially since it has a full kitchen. Not many full reviews on the internet except one guy who did post a lot of photos on google. Sounds like most people aren't too happy about breakfast or the evening snacks. I don't really care, because I can eat almost anything when I'm hungry! I'll come back and post about the Residence Inn in about 4 weeks when I arrive there. I'll post a blip here and a full review on the Marriot thread. After a year of brown paper bag breakfasts, I can eat anything.
coleslaw likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:31 pm

Just an FYI - Not sure if this will change the enviroment down here in Mexico, but the Lawmakers just tonight approved the use of marijuana nationwide in Mexico.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Just an FYI - Not sure if this will change the enviroment down here in Mexico, but the Lawmakers just tonight approved the use of marijuana nationwide in Mexico.
I feel like it might be awhile before it’s on offer at the Ziva. Maybe Zilara first.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:15 pm

currently have a booked 3-nty stay @ zilara in late april... any folks visited recently or earlier this yr that could offer info / tips how or if food & drink may be limited due to covid? was the availability worth about $400 per day? TIA
Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
was the availability worth about $400 per day?
You’ll probably need to give some more background / context if you want helpful responses on whether it’s “worth” it (e.g. how many people, what your alternatives were, why you chose Zilara vs others, etc etc etc).
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:34 pm

You’ll probably need to give some more background / context if you want helpful responses on whether it’s “worth” it (e.g. how many people, what your alternatives were, why you chose Zilara vs others, etc etc etc).
zilara has a max 2 ppl per room, right? so it's like $200 for each; chose it for an all-inclusive, adult place, food selection may be more or better than ziva's, although not sure how much or if more may be available with covid, the beach at zilara may be more open or less rocky than ziva's? thx

guess my ? is if the food selection is still fairly limited, we could either find a good-value standard hotel to stay & pay for f&b separately, or book a zilara stay at later time this yr

Last edited by danhouston; Mar 14, 2021 at 2:40 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 3:44 pm

zilara has a max 2 ppl per room, right? so it's like $200 for each; chose it for an all-inclusive, adult place, food selection may be more or better than ziva's, although not sure how much or if more may be available with covid, the beach at zilara may be more open or less rocky than ziva's? thx

guess my ? is if the food selection is still fairly limited, we could either find a good-value standard hotel to stay & pay for f&b separately, or book a zilara stay at later time this yr
Be glad you're not solo! $200 a person at a all-inclusive is CHEAP to me. I've looked at several youtube videos and it appears most people are happy with the food selections at Ziva and Zilara. However, hours have changed in different venues. Also, it depends on what room you have booked too, if its worth it or not. But, $400 for two people is worth it in any room there (in my opinion). I noticed the prices just keep going up, so I'm keeping my booking.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:08 pm

I
You’re definitely going to be able to find better food off property.

if you want a resort vacation where you don’t really want/need to leave the property while you’re there then a Ziva/Zilara is a good choice. If you want variety and quality in food options and don’t mind leaving your hotel to find them, then an AI isn’t a great choice and you’d be better off at a non-AI in a location that’s accessible to food options.

It’s really going to come down to what your personal preferences and priorities are. $400 for two at Zilara is on the low-to-average end of the price range so if you want to try it out then go for it.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:43 pm

I was there in Feb and hopefully can give you some answers.

Right now, all dining options are open at Zilara. However they are on a rotation schedule, so certain restaurants are closed on certain days of the week. Of course if you're there for 3 nights, you probably won't miss any. The only thing closed was the bar in the Cantina, which is supposed to serve better cocktails than the lobby bar, so that was a bummer for us.

For selections, Ziva is definitely better than Zilara, with the additional Italian and French restaurants, as well as the steakhouse. We stayed 7 days at Ziva and 2 days at Zilara, which felt like a good choice. Some people do think Zilara's food quality is better, but we thought it's by only a very small margin.

For beach, Ziva has the best in the entire hotel zone IMHO. Zilara's beach is more open and less rocky, but the waves are high and almost nobody gets into the water.

If you do want to experience an all-inclusive hotel, this is a good time to do it because prices are still low. The way I see it, you shouldn't compare all-inclusive price with separate room and f&b costs, because part of the value is you can drink and eat whenever you want to. If you calculate the math down to every dollar, then all-inclusive is almost never the right choice.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:05 pm

thx to all so far for feedback & suggestions. yeah. I booked in late Jan. for Apr visit; the booked standard suite presently seems no longer available.

yea, agree that $200/for each per day at zilara is a decent deal where we just eat, drink & relax for a few days; covid testing is comp upon check in, hoping it will be negative, lol
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:07 pm

Tipping

What’s the general consensus on tipping at the Ziva/Zilara?

I know it says gratuities are included... but I also know that they’re not really included and tipping is still somewhat expected.

The other all inclusive trips I’ve done have mostly been at properties that offer all inclusive rates where you eat / drink at restaurants / bars that are a la carte and you get a check at the end where you can add 20% of the cost of the food/drink as a tip. Since you don’t get checks at Ziva / Zilara, what’s the norm when it comes to who to tip / how much?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:11 pm

What’s the general consensus on tipping at the Ziva/Zilara?

I know it says gratuities are included... but I also know that they’re not really included and tipping is still somewhat expected.

The other all inclusive trips I’ve done have mostly been at properties that offer all inclusive rates where you eat / drink at restaurants / bars that are a la carte and you get a check at the end where you can add 20% of the cost of the food/drink as a tip. Since you don’t get checks at Ziva / Zilara, what’s the norm when it comes to who to tip / how much?
I'll be following this for others suggestions. But, my thought is, I'll just tip like I normally do at any hotel throughout Mexico. I always tip for buffets and restaurants even when it's complimentary at Hilton and Marriot. I tip for each housekeeping visit. I don't get housekeeping daily, especially with covid going on. If I have a butler, I would only use them for dinner reservations, so an average tip. Other than going to a bar (like tres cervezas), there wouldn't be anybody else to tip, other than the bellhop. So, I'll just tip as I go. I rather give directly to the person who impacted my life satisfactory. I've been to hotels and haven't tipped anybody because the entire place was a disaster from the time I arrived. But, generally, I tip anybody who helps me during my stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.