Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Residence Presentation - Offensive comment where to report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Residence Presentation - Offensive comment where to report?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'd never think that a timeshare salesman would be offensive. I mean, they're bastions of integrity and have such a high moral code, right? Right fellas?!! Hello?

I hope you report them and make sure to point out that you didn't buy. Maybe the latter will get him in trouble if not the former.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
No, it isn't.
Do I really have to explain it for you?
OsakaWino and Stewie Mac like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Between family members and friends, I know well a solid baker's dozen gay and lesbian couples (and through them, of course I have met many more couples). I don't know any same sex couple that in any way refers to themselves as husband and wife. Always as 'husbands' or as 'wives' for same sex male and female couples respectfully. Perhaps some do, but I don't know of any in my sample size. .
I understand that the OP took offense to the comment and that was likely due to the way it was said BUT I don't agree with this comment. If you are friends with gay and lesbian couples you should have likely encountered the following:

You are at a gay male couples house for dinner...someone goes over to one of the guys and asks something like "can I help do something" and the response likely might be...."go ask my wife."

Reality is the terms are used but the context that it was used in was a problem. It's kind of like the use of other terms that are ok for some people to say and not ok for others to say.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If you can't counter such (uninformed) comments with factual corrections maybe you shouldn't live the lifestyle?

People are offensive all the time and this doesn't even come close to it unless you have extremely thin skin.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
If you can't counter such (uninformed) comments with factual corrections maybe you shouldn't live the lifestyle?
I am sorry but maybe it's time to lock this thread now that we have someone venturing down the "you have a choice to live this lifestyle" path. Seriously?
markko, SF1K and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by JackE
Do I really have to explain it for you?
You can do all the explaining (or mansplaining, if you'd rather) you want. It doesn't change anything.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
You can do all the explaining (or mansplaining, if you'd rather) you want. It doesn't change anything.
Don't worry, there are lots of people who preach about sexism who are completely unable to see it in themselves. I'm happy not to explain it to such people, as it's a waste of my time.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by JackE
Don't worry, there are lots of people who preach about sexism who are completely unable to see it in themselves. I'm happy not to explain it to such people, as it's a waste of my time.
No, we actually agree that sexism and racism (etc.) are terrible things that need to be fought. I just think it's not a good idea to label nearly everything sexist, because it numbs people's senses to actual cases of sexism with actual victims.
skywalkerLAX, MarkOK and bbbb like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by christianj
You are at a gay male couples house for dinner...someone goes over to one of the guys and asks something like "can I help do something" and the response likely might be...."go ask my wife."
Only in a catty moment maybe around friends/family. Never in any other way.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by craz
" My husband and I .." is what you wrote and " sales associate explained that the purchase would be deeded property. So we could hold the property as “husband and wife..." is what you said the presenter said. I dont get it sorry. I would understand it if he said ... So we could hold the property as male and female..."

Im out of the loop and dont mean any disrespect, but would your husband use those exact words as well when describing the 2 of you," My husband and I" which would mean there are 2 husbands and no wives in the relationship. Or would they say My wife and I? If you both would say My husband and I, is that something every same sex married couple would say.

would it be wrong to mention that theres a church nearby with Sunday noon mass, w/o thinking that most likley there are many folks who are of another religion or no religion at all. Now if the presenter said that as a slight thats a whole different matter meaning he didnt want those who practiced a different religion buying in, or in your case he didnt want any same sex couples.Otherwise according to you he said what you said you were unless there isnt any "wife" in your marriage, and how is anyone to know that?

I never said "my husband and I" to him. He was sitting in front of both of us - neither one of us has the appearance of not being a man. So saying to us "you can hold the property as husband and wife...if that's what you call it" is offensive.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

People are offensive all the time and this doesn't even come close to it unless you have extremely thin skin.
Sarcasm on -

I always say that to my Jewish/Black/Female/Asian/Muslim (feel free to fill in any other group that can be offended) friends as well. If you can't counter such (uninformed) comments with factual corrections maybe you should just stop being Jewish/Black/Female/Asian/Muslim.

Sarcasm off

Anyway - I've sent a message to my Lifetime Globalist Concierge and she said she'd pass on to corporate. I just don't think that Hyatt wants to portray this type of image, especially judging by their very inclusive ad campaign for WOH and generally huge supporters of the LGBTQ community.

I do realize "tone" is lost when writing something, but trust me I'm pretty sure the sales person meant to be offensive.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:49 pm

50 years old and just learned two years ago that there is no wife in a gay male relationship, and that its two husbands. Sorry but some of us have limited exposure and no gay friends to set us straight. I think it was his ignorance of how a gay relationship works and not the salesman trying to disrespect you in anyway.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:10 pm

I have a hard time understanding why a salesman would intentionally be offensive to a prospective customer. Seems counter-productive but I guess some people just can't help themselves.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:07 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SF1K
During the presentation the sales associate explained that the purchase would be deeded property. So we could hold the property as “husband and wife...is that what you call it?” My husband and I are a same-sex married couple.

In hind-sight I should have gotten up and asked for a manager at that time. But we were on vacation and I didn’t. However I do think this needs to be reported so that there is some sensitivity training done for this. Who should I reach out to?
First, I'm sorry you became offended. Is it possible that the sales associate had no intention of offending anyone? It seems like an innocent query to me. Surely it could have been worded better. But almost everything can be worded better, including my post. And yours. When I was a kid, we had a chant which came in handy when some other kid hurled an insult:

"Sticks and stones
may break my bones,
but words will never hurt me".

It's obvious that today's world has forgotten this chant. People are quick to interpret words as hostile remarks, when no hostility was ever intended.

Back to the infuriating question, I myself have no earthly idea whether a same-sex married couple uses the term "husband and wife". I'm mildly curious. The curiosity is NOT meant to piss anyone off, but simply to expand my own knowledge. I have zero experience in this topic, therefore I'm ignorant. Apparently other people share this same ignorance about this same topic. What's the most straight-forward way to gain knowledge? (Hint: ask questions). But apparently, in today 's society, questions are no longer welcome as a method of learning. And therein lies the paradox . Ignorance pisses us off, yet we don't allow people to cure their own ignorance by asking questions.

So ... does a same-sex married couple use the term "husband and wife"? I have no earthly idea. I'd actually like to know. But if asking the question makes people get all mad and huffy, then forget it .... because my desire to learn is not quite THAT strong.
bbbb likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:43 pm

When everything is an outrage, nothing is an outrage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.