Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Extending expiration on free hyatt nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending expiration on free hyatt nights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morphogencc
I called in just today for certificates that expired in mid-October 2018; they gave me 40k points for both certificates. I only have 9 stayed nights (so no earned status, just from the credit card). The CSA had to go get a supervisor, but the supervisor gave me the points no questions asked.
were these cat 1-4 certs or 1-7?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
were these cat 1-4 certs or 1-7?
Cat 1-7; the two certs I got as a sign-up bonus for the credit card.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by morphogencc
Cat 1-7; the two certs I got as a sign-up bonus for the credit card.
I let mine expire and contacted Hyatt Globalist concierge and was given 40k total for 2 nights
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Plat, Amtrak S+, Hilton, Starbucks Gold
I had a Cat 1-4 cert expire a few months ago. I contacted my WoH Concierge and she credited me 10k points. Seemed reasonable....more flexibility anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:33 pm

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
I have a One Night Award (Category 1-7) for reaching Globalist Status which will expire on March 22, 2019 and
I wanted to use this award at Park Hyatt Tokyo (Category 7) in the first half of May.

I have checked with Hyatt and there is nothing in the rules that would prevent a Globalist from exchanging his/her Award with another Globalist’s Award that expires at a later date. (The only caveat is that Hyatt would not be responsible in case of fraud.)

If someone has a similar award (Category 1-7) which they planned on using before March 22 and which expires after May 15, 2019 I would be willing to work out some sort of an exchange and help in the future as I will be requalifying early again.

Please let me know or send me a private message. Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi,

my chase card free night expires in 3 days. I could use it for a staycation this weekend but I'd rather get 10k points at this point... I have no status through stay. Will the points be awarded after expiration? I called for an extension but the agent said no-no. I had same issue last year and I did receive points. thanks
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Burn it, without status I doubt you’d get the points. L
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 am

My free night expired yesterday. I called today and spoke with a very nice rep, but she stated the rule changed in Nov 2018 and they no longer can award points or date extension, and that is was a Chase decision, not Hyatts'. I had managed to get a 10K courtesy a year ago the last time my cert expired. so this year, I called about 3 weeks ago and the rep then said to wait until the cert expired and call back. I wish she had told me that the rule changed last year. None the less, today, after being told no extension and that they were aware I had got the 10K last year, they could do nothing for me. So, I asked to speak with a supervisor. I started off by telling the supe that even though I did not get what I had asked for that the rep I just spoke with was very kind and professional and represented Hyatt very well. After some quick conversation, she said she could not extend the date but as a last time, one time courtesy, and she was pleasantry firm in telling me this IS the last time, she did provide 10K courtesy points saying she could do that because I had spoke with someone a few weeks ago who advised me incorrectly to call back. Low and behold, 5 or 6 minute call and I got 10K so I am happy.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by oldmanbob
My free night expired yesterday. I called today and spoke with a very nice rep, but she stated the rule changed in Nov 2018 and they no longer can award points or date extension, and that is was a Chase decision, not Hyatts'.
The rules always seem to change - and that goes for all loyalty programs, hotel or airline.

A few years ago, it was no problem at all to extend a certificate with Hyatt. That changed to a hard no, and now it sounds like it's changed at least twice since the last time I looked at it.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob
My free night expired yesterday. I called today and spoke with a very nice rep, but she stated the rule changed in Nov 2018 and they no longer can award points or date extension, and that is was a Chase decision, not Hyatts'. I had managed to get a 10K courtesy a year ago the last time my cert expired. so this year, I called about 3 weeks ago and the rep then said to wait until the cert expired and call back. I wish she had told me that the rule changed last year. None the less, today, after being told no extension and that they were aware I had got the 10K last year, they could do nothing for me. So, I asked to speak with a supervisor. I started off by telling the supe that even though I did not get what I had asked for that the rep I just spoke with was very kind and professional and represented Hyatt very well. After some quick conversation, she said she could not extend the date but as a last time, one time courtesy, and she was pleasantry firm in telling me this IS the last time, she did provide 10K courtesy points saying she could do that because I had spoke with someone a few weeks ago who advised me incorrectly to call back. Low and behold, 5 or 6 minute call and I got 10K so I am happy.
Weird that they would say the rule changed in November 2018 since DPs here show people getting points credit as recently as January 2019.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Weird that they would say the rule changed in November 2018 since DPs here show people getting points credit as recently as January 2019.
I think that they seem to let Globalists get away with it, but no one else.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that they seem to let Globalists get away with it, but no one else.
Ahh...good to know. I doubt I will have an issue with it since with a family, staying at a HP and HH is actually preferable. But it is a good lesson for me personally to use ASAP rather than wait for the best possible redemption.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's also unpublished so no guarantees. I wouldn't count on it, but it's definitely worth a shot if you don't have a chance to use it.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:57 pm

Still possible as of today

Called to ask about an expired Cat 1-4 Chase free night certificate and was told this isn't possible since it's a Chase certificate (and not their own certificate) but later asked for points courtesy, was transferred to the manager and they were happy to issue this one-time courtesy credit of 10,000 points.

It used to be their policy but is no longer, so the managers are nice to do this credit as a one-time point courtesy. It looks like it will work for most of 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.