FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Extending expiration on free hyatt nights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1920101-extending-expiration-free-hyatt-nights.html)

joe_miami Dec 1, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31793435)
I’ll email Globalist Concierge for a definitive answer. If you are able to successfully book it and you arrive at the hotel it should be honored. I mean what happens in that situation?

As I said above, it's not honored.

Matt4200 Dec 1, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31793521)
As I said above, it's not honored.

Meaning it shows up as booked, you receive a confirmation, it’s in your WOH account, then you show up to the property and they turn you away? Just trying to clarify.

joe_miami Dec 1, 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31793573)
Meaning it shows up as booked, you receive a confirmation, it’s in your WOH account, then you show up to the property and they turn you away? Just trying to clarify.

They won't turn you away. They'll offer you a room at the cash rate.

Matt4200 Dec 1, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31793598)
They won't turn you away. They'll offer you a room at the cash rate.

Which to me is the same as being turned away because booking a Cash Rate on the day of at most desirable properties (the ones you’d use a Certificate at) the Cash Rate wouldn’t be worth it.

For example - If I used a Cat 1-4 Cert at Manchester GH that’s due to expire on May 5th. Then the FD tells me your Certificate cannot be redeemed.

Well, by the day of I can no longer book with 15k points instead because all points rooms are booked.

The Cash Rate is roughly $400 after taxes, which makes no financial sense to pay.

I’m saying if it’s bookable and holds up (doesn’t auto cancel out and return the cert to your account) you should be granted the stay. Have you actually tried this and been denied at the hotel or are you basing it entirely on what it says?

mhdena Dec 1, 2019 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31793435)
I’ll email Globalist Concierge for a definitive answer. If you are able to successfully book it and you arrive at the hotel it should be honored. I mean what happens in that situation?

The free night is like a $100 bill up until the date of expiration, so a Dec 1 expiration when you pull out the bill on Dec 1, it no longer says $100, but now says $0 dollar. Needs to be SPENT the day before expiration date.

joe_miami Dec 1, 2019 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200 (Post 31793675)
Which to me is the same as being turned away because booking a Cash Rate on the day of at most desirable properties (the ones you’d use a Certificate at) the Cash Rate wouldn’t be worth it.

For example - If I used a Cat 1-4 Cert at Manchester GH that’s due to expire on May 5th. Then the FD tells me your Certificate cannot be redeemed.

Well, by the day of I can no longer book with 15k points instead because all points rooms are booked.

The Cash Rate is roughly $400 after taxes, which makes no financial sense to pay.

I’m saying if it’s bookable and holds up (doesn’t auto cancel out and return the cert to your account) you should be granted the stay. Have you actually tried this and been denied at the hotel or are you basing it entirely on what it says?

It’s not much different than showing up at a store with an expired coupon. The store isn’t going to honor a coupon that won’t be reimbursed by the coupon issuer.

MSPeconomist Dec 1, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31793814)
It’s not much different than showing up at a store with an expired coupon. The store isn’t going to honor a coupon that won’t be reimbursed by the coupon issuer.

OT but some stores do this as a matter of policy, just like they accept competitors' coupons but don't expect reimbursement. Similarly double/triple coupons are done at the expense of the store.

joe_miami Dec 1, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31794104)
OT but some stores do this as a matter of policy, just like they accept competitors' coupons but don't expect reimbursement. Similarly double/triple coupons are done at the expense of the store.

Which stores accept $300 or $400 coupons that won't be reimbursed?

Sophoclefr Dec 12, 2019 3:19 am

FWIW I've just got 10k points from my concierge for an expired free night voucher (category 1-4) :)

MSPeconomist Dec 15, 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Sophoclefr (Post 31831904)
FWIW I've just got 10k points from my concierge for an expired free night voucher (category 1-4) :)

One night in a cat 4 is 15,000 points, or 12,000 for category 3 and 8,000 points for category 2.

OTOH points are flexible and don't expire if the account remains active.