Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Extending expiration on free hyatt nights?

Extending expiration on free hyatt nights?

Old Jul 18, 19, 12:05 pm
  #46  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,731
The Milestone reward nights are only 6 months or so. This is Hyatt's way to push you to use it as you go. No saving for holidays for longer trips etc.
RedSun is offline  
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:35 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SFO
Posts: 282
Cat 1-4 expiring in under 2 weeks, last time I was able to get 20k points for my cat1-7, will see if I can get 10k for cat1-4.
BaconSF is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 1:42 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,150
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Called to ask about an expired Cat 1-4 Chase free night certificate and was told this isn't possible since it's a Chase certificate (and not their own certificate) but later asked for points courtesy, was transferred to the manager and they were happy to issue this one-time courtesy credit of 10,000 points.

It used to be their policy but is no longer, so the managers are nice to do this credit as a one-time point courtesy. It looks like it will work for most of 2019.
Anyone done this more recently? I have one expiring in two weeks and had to cancel the rez I had b/c kid school start date is an entire WEEK earlier than last year. WTH. It is possible I could use it on the exact date of the expiration (a rez starting that day), but I'm not sure yet.
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 2:00 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,150
Originally Posted by BaconSF View Post
Cat 1-4 expiring in under 2 weeks, last time I was able to get 20k points for my cat1-7, will see if I can get 10k for cat1-4.
Were you successful?
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 2:18 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New York City
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 161
Are there any DPs about extending the night? I want to use mine ~5 days after it expires; my understanding is that the actual stay has to occur while the certificate is valid...
morphogencc is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 2:31 pm
  #51  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
None. Hyatt has never extended these other than a one-month courtesy window, and even that went away years ago.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 2:50 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,580
Originally Posted by morphogencc View Post
Are there any DPs about extending the night? I want to use mine ~5 days after it expires; my understanding is that the actual stay has to occur while the certificate is valid...
None.

And as I found out last year you have to check out before or on the expiry date.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:46 pm
  #53  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 30,328
My husband called just yesterday for a cert expiring next week and was refused.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Aug 2, 19, 7:23 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 38
I had 2 cat 1-4 certs from the credit card (anniversary and $15k), one expired in June and one in August. I used one of them in March and didn't pay attention but it used the one that expired in August as opposed to the one in June. Not sure why that happened. I went to use my Aug cert in July when I noticed it.

I asked on twitter for compensation and they said "yeah that's weird but we can't do anything"
Waited a few days and tried facebook messenger and they said "no idea why it happened but here's 5000 points"
I took it and moved on.
brclark82 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 19, 7:32 pm
  #55  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post
I had 2 cat 1-4 certs from the credit card (anniversary and $15k), one expired in June and one in August. I used one of them in March and didn't pay attention but it used the one that expired in August as opposed to the one in June. Not sure why that happened. I went to use my Aug cert in July when I noticed it.

I asked on twitter for compensation and they said "yeah that's weird but we can't do anything"
Waited a few days and tried facebook messenger and they said "no idea why it happened but here's 5000 points"
I took it and moved on.
I'm guessing you canceled a reservation in there somewhere. Hyatt's system attaches specific awards to specific reservations, which can result in a newer award being used despite an older one becoming available after a cancellation. If you're Globalist and have a concierge, I bet you'd get at least another 5,000 points, if not 10,000, if you email and explain what happened. This shouldn't really count as an expired award, since it's a glitch in Hyatt's system. (If you have to deal with regular customer service, you might keep getting the runaround.)
joe_miami is offline  
Old Aug 2, 19, 7:32 pm
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,547
Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post
I had 2 cat 1-4 certs from the credit card (anniversary and $15k), one expired in June and one in August. I used one of them in March and didn't pay attention but it used the one that expired in August as opposed to the one in June. Not sure why that happened. I went to use my Aug cert in July when I noticed it.......
Did you make a reservation using a cert than cancelled? Certs are supposed to be attached in sequence of reservation, not date of reservation, but cancelled reservation don't adjust cert sequence. For example, if you make a reservation for February stay, it will attach to June cert. Then, you make second reservation for March stay, it will attach to August cert. If you cancel February stay, June cert will be released but no adjustment is made to March reservation. March stay will use up August cert.
TerryK is online now  
Old Aug 2, 19, 7:56 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 38
You guys are probably right about the cancellation thing I just don't remember. I did cancel a stay in January but I didn't think I had booked another stay using a cert until the one I used in March. Anyway, I'm only Explorist and I'm probably not gonna push the issue and just take the 5000 points and pay more attention next time.

I'm currently have 5x 1-4 certs ($15k spend from last year, this year card anny, this year $15k, brand explorer, 30 nights) as well as 4 club upgrades. I'm going to have to manage those better I suppose.

It sure would be easier if they would just issue points instead of nights.
brclark82 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 19, 8:35 pm
  #58  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,731
Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post
You guys are probably right about the cancellation thing I just don't remember. I did cancel a stay in January but I didn't think I had booked another stay using a cert until the one I used in March. Anyway, I'm only Explorist and I'm probably not gonna push the issue and just take the 5000 points and pay more attention next time.

I'm currently have 5x 1-4 certs ($15k spend from last year, this year card anny, this year $15k, brand explorer, 30 nights) as well as 4 club upgrades. I'm going to have to manage those better I suppose.

It sure would be easier if they would just issue points instead of nights.
By giving out 6-month or 12-month FN and force you to use them, Hyatt flush out the system. Smart move on its side. By giving out the points, everyone would want to use points on peak season for the best properties.

I think after we get used to the new system, it works fine. Always check the FN expiration from time to time.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:48 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 852
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
And as I found out last year you have to check out before or on the expiry date.
OMG, I hope you mean you tried to use it and it would not let you. The Hyatt system should go to a screen telling a member to call the 800 number if they try to use a FN certificate for a stay too far in the future. If I made a reservation and only afterwards found out the certificate had expired, I would be livid.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
My husband called just yesterday for a cert expiring next week and was refused.
For sure World of Hyatt will not help proactively. You have to roll-the-dice and wait until it has actually expired. Many data points on this. IMHO it's infuriating. It's not like the members are children asking for another pudding cup in the high school cafeteria. It's now August and I've already stayed 100 nights. If Hyatt made me grovel to use my free night when it fits my schedule, I'd take my 100 nights back to Starriott (which has very clear rules on extending certificates).

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
By giving out 6-month or 12-month FN and force you to use them, Hyatt flush out the system. Smart move on its side. By giving out the points, everyone would want to use points on peak season for the best properties.
I'm certain the Hyatt bean counters calculate the expected breakage when deciding to expire certificates in 6 months instead of 12. When the powers-that-be set the expiration date, or any other benefit, they calculate what percentage they expect will go unredeemed.
jn in ca is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:47 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SFO
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by BaconSF View Post
Cat 1-4 expiring in under 2 weeks, last time I was able to get 20k points for my cat1-7, will see if I can get 10k for cat1-4.
Asked for 10k, for expired cat 1-4 cert. unsuccessful on both twitter and Facebook. ...
BaconSF is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: