30,000 points $522 at PH Sydney

Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

30,000 points $522 at PH Sydney

Hello-

I am a Globalist currently booked for 2 nights at the PH Sydney at 30,000 points per night.
I see their rate has dropped to AUD 690/nt or USD $522/nt.
They also have Points and Cash for $300/nt plus 15,000 points per night which I don't think is such a good deal.

Would you suggest using points? I don't have any remaining Hyatt points and would have to transfer about 20% of my Chase points to my Hyatt account.

I'm just wondering if that is foolish when the rate there is $522/nt.

Being Globalist, am I likely to get a better upgrade on free nights vs. a paid night in their lowest category?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
Hello-

I am a Globalist currently booked for 2 nights at the PH Sydney at 30,000 points per night.
They also have Points and Cash for $300/nt plus 15,000 points per night which I don't think is such a good deal.

Would you suggest using points? I don't have any remaining Hyatt points and would have to transfer about 20% of my Chase points to my Hyatt account.

Being Globalist, am I likely to get a better upgrade on free nights vs. a paid night in their lowest category?

Thanks for the advice.
That's 1.7 cents point which is probably about fair market value redemption fair hyatt points. Of course you can get much higher (I think the highest I've gone is about 4 cents / point), but at that rate I'd personally burn the points if I had them and didn't have a plan to use them elsewhere in the next 18 months (unused points are worth exactly nothing). As for the P+C, the redemption rate is worse, about 1.5 cents / point, so I probably wouldn't do that.

I haven't seen a difference in upgrades for paid vs free nights lately. I don't hear the "well, you're here on a rewards stay" talk I've heard in the past.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:44 pm

As a Globalist, you would earn approximately 6,800 WoH points for the revenue stay, not including the additional points for credit card spend.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

My only thought was at times the rate can be closer to $800-900 and it's not like my points are in my Hyatt account already. They are in Chase.
I won't make Globalist next year if that matters.
In the past, I've always tried to hold my Chase for first and business on Korean and Singapore or to top off Southwest or to use for top category Hyatts like PH Paris or Sydney. I just wasn't use to seeing rates this low at PH Sydney.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
My only thought was at times the rate can be closer to $800-900 and it's not like my points are in my Hyatt account already. They are in Chase.
I won't make Globalist next year if that matters.
In the past, I've always tried to hold my Chase for first and business on Korean and Singapore or to top off Southwest or to use for top category Hyatts like PH Paris or Sydney. I just wasn't use to seeing rates this low at PH Sydney.
Was just typing out the typical 'without knowing how you usually use URs, it's impossible to ascertain the value proposition' post. But if your goal is to use URs for premium cabin awards, I think it's a no-brainer to hold off on transferring URs.

Again, it's dependent on your travel patterns but even if you're just looking to pare down the UR balance, I don't think it's that difficult to do better than 1.7 c/p at Hyatt.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Can you remind me how you are calculating 1.7 c/p?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Can you remind me how you are calculating 1.7 c/p?
Honestly, I just used ClarkGriswold's numbers from above. At $522 for 30k points, that does appear to be correct (1.74c/p really, if that sways things).

Personally, I find it pretty easy to get 2+ c/p, but again this is entirely dependent on individual travel patterns.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Priv, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Hello-

Thanks for the advice.
If you are thinking cash rate, one option would be to book the Hyatt Priv Rate (I am also seeing Priv rate at AUD 690/nt). Doing this would give you an extra $100 Property Credit, the chance of a Priv upgrade at booking, the chance of a further Globalist upgrade at check-in, full daily breakfast for two, etc... and you would earn all the usual WoH points, etc. For Priv benefits that overlap your Globalist benefits, you would receive the better of the two. This would be an easy way to add some additional value if you are going to pay cash.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, KristenNix. Is it normal they offer a Prive rate but don't start offering Virtuoso rates until higher categories?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Priv, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Thanks, KristenNix. Is it normal they offer a Prive rate but don't start offering Virtuoso rates until higher categories?
I can't answer the Virtuoso rate category question for sure. The difference between Virtuoso and Priv at the PH Sydney are: $100 Spa Credit via Virtuoso vs. $100 Property Credit via Priv. Upgrade is confirmed at booking (if available) with Priv vs. upgrade is given at checkin (if available) with Virtuoso.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a Globalist, I would want to get higher value for my points.

It's not that hard to redeem Hyatt over 2 cpp.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.