Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How many globalists are left? Anyone know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm a second year Globalist (following two years as Diamond), and from my non-scientific observations, it really seems like there are WAY fewer top-tier folks. Anyone experience similar?

I base my observations on:
1. VERY easy upgrades (I'm basically 90% in terms of suite upgrades - and no I'm not complaining). This is a lot higher rate than last year. I know part of it is the properties "getting used" to handing out free upgrades to suites...
2. Fewer guests in the restaurants for breakfast during prime time. Anecdotal for sure, but at places like Hyatt Centric New Orleans we are frequently the only people eating breakfast, or at most there are 1-2 other groups. At Hyatt Herald Square we were the ONLY people having Globalist breakfast during prime hours on weekdays AND weekend (could tell the others were not because they had vouchers or were paying with credit card, etc.) It seemed similar at Park Hyatt NY, and other properties....
3. I stay at few Hyatt's with lounges but they seem less crowded, as well.
4. TSU's seem a bit easier to get, but why bother if you have a 90% success rate anyway? I understand their value for special occasions...

Anyone agree or disagree?

IF numbers are way down, I wonder what kinds of changes we could expect as a result? The optimist in me hopes that maybe they will make the program richer in order to stick out more from Marriott.... perhaps the return of welcome amenities and turn down service? Wishful thinking...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Hello,

I'm a second year Globalist (following two years as Diamond), and from my non-scientific observations, it really seems like there are WAY fewer top-tier folks. Anyone experience similar?

I base my observations on:
1. VERY easy upgrades (I'm basically 90% in terms of suite upgrades - and no I'm not complaining). This is a lot higher rate than last year. I know part of it is the properties "getting used" to handing out free upgrades to suites...
2. Fewer guests in the restaurants for breakfast during prime time. Anecdotal for sure, but at places like Hyatt Centric New Orleans we are frequently the only people eating breakfast, or at most there are 1-2 other groups. At Hyatt Herald Square we were the ONLY people having Globalist breakfast during prime hours on weekdays AND weekend (could tell the others were not because they had vouchers or were paying with credit card, etc.) It seemed similar at Park Hyatt NY, and other properties....
3. I stay at few Hyatt's with lounges but they seem less crowded, as well.
4. TSU's seem a bit easier to get, but why bother if you have a 90% success rate anyway? I understand their value for special occasions...

Anyone agree or disagree?

IF numbers are way down, I wonder what kinds of changes we could expect as a result? The optimist in me hopes that maybe they will make the program richer in order to stick out more from Marriott.... perhaps the return of welcome amenities and turn down service? Wishful thinking...
Only someone associated with Hyatt management would know the number. But other clues that the numbers are low are the inclusion of night redemptions in the 55/60 count, and the multiple 20-night top-tier promotions.

But the biggest issue here is that this is a boom time for travel. What has to be unsettling is what happens when the next recession hits. The promos then will put FFN to shame.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I agree with you points.

This is coming form someone who has top tier with SPG/Marriott/Hilton as well.

I'm new to Hyatt and really enjoy, wish I had joined from day 1.
LASUA1K and relidtm like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I think that people sought refuge with WOH when the Marriott-SPG merger details were unknown. Now that it's been revealed, there is more certainty about what to expect post-merger of programs.
In fact, I'm sure M-S is seeing a bump in numbers from the desperate lifers going for whatever the next level of status is in reach, given the dilution of benefits. Where does that leave WOH?
Nobody is racing to get in their Hyatt stays.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'd guess anywhere from 10 to 15, but who knows.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:13 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I'd guess anywhere from 10 to 15, but who knows.
16... you forgot to count me.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I'm all newer to this, but I haven't gotten suite upgrades much this year. To be specific, I've gotten one out of seven stays since January. I've seen both full and empty lounges too, and that's on different nights within the same stay too.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have a hard time believing that 60 nights versus 25 stays makes all that much of a difference to lounge/breakfast/suites. Why? Because 25 1-night stays weren't really spending all that much time in Hyatt hotels. And the travel hackers amongst them were probably in Vegas hopping between Excalibur / Luxor.

I suppose that a possible exception is that 25-stayers were also staying on points in NY, NOLA, etc. and without Globalist status those people are shifting their Chase points elsewhere.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does anyone know as a rough estimate how many Globs there were before or how many HGP Diamonds there were?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone know as a rough estimate how many Globs there were before or how many HGP Diamonds there were?
I recall blogs stating there were around 35k Diamonds just before the program revamp - dunno if there are updated figures for post-WoH.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
I recall blogs stating there were around 35k Diamonds just before the program revamp - dunno if there are updated figures for post-WoH.
That seems like a low number, but if it was 35K then, I bet it's under 10K now. Anyone know anyone at Hyatt they could ask? I suspect most Regency or Grand Hyatt GM's know the answer... or at least know how much it has dropped off.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:30 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much of a drop off in numbers from last year. There was the 20 night promos and the counting of free nights which helped keep up the numbers. There were also some exceptional events that added a not insignificant number of Globs. A manager at one of the Houston area Hyatt's said more than a thousand guests earned Glob status when they previously had no status due to extended stays after Harvey. These are from multiple properties across the area, and to be clear, that increase is probably meaningless, as the status was earned by spending 60+ days at a HP or HH and not from any loyalty to Hyatt.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have not seen increased suite upgrades this year. Mostly upgrades to club level.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:25 pm

As Christopher Lambert says "There can only be one!"

Sorry couldn't resist. In all seriousness though, my suite upgrade percentage is horribly low, not even double digits so if that's the leading indicator either they just hate me or there are more globalists than you think.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
That seems like a low number, but if it was 35K then, I bet it's under 10K now. Anyone know anyone at Hyatt they could ask? I suspect most Regency or Grand Hyatt GM's know the answer... or at least know how much it has dropped off.
There's simply no way Hyatt sloughed off over 70% of its top tier with the WoH changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.