Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Free parking denied on award stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat

Staying at the Hyatt House Austin Downtown- valet parking only, billed to the room, $35.

Inquired to why charged for a Globalist on award stay and told that they "are an extended stay hotel, that only counts at the main properties,thus"...then switched to "we are not owned by Hyatt, but by a management company" (yeah like 98 % of hotels).

Reading WOH, never saw an asterisk for "participating properties only". It would seem at a minimum, they would mention that on check in.

Anyone else experience this before?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by I 40
Staying at the Hyatt House Austin Downtown- valet parking only, billed to the room, $35.

Inquired to why charged for a Globalist on award stay and told that they "are an extended stay hotel, that only counts at the main properties,thus"...then switched to "we are not owned by Hyatt, but by a management company" (yeah like 98 % of hotels).

Reading WOH, never saw an asterisk for "participating properties only". It would seem at a minimum, they would mention that on check in.

Anyone else experience this before?

At a minimum, Hyatt needs to add a notation to the website and to e-mail confirmations that your award reservation does or doesn't include parking. That would help on a lot of levels, including warning people away from properties that don't include it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:58 pm

Nope. Sounds like BS from the hotel and it sounds like you should escalate and demand they remove it. Neither one of those is a reason they can use nor can they opt out of that.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Never heard of this. You can always reach out to the GM and if that doesn't work, move up the chain.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:39 pm

The terms are clear... if you can charge parking to the room, then they have to remove it for Globalists on award stays. Period. I've stayed at Hyatt's where they don't own or operate the garage, and they have paid for my parking every time. Escalate this! Call WOH or use the Twitter Concierge.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:01 pm

I would escalate this OP. They were wrong to deny you. Let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Has to be a "participating Hyatt hotel" per the T&C to which OP agreed. Was the property in question "participating"? Language of the t&c is cut & pasted below with the specific term highlighted.

(n) Free Parking: Globalists receive free parking at participating Hyatt hotels or resorts for nights during which the Globalist stays on a Free Night Award. Free parking benefit is valid at Hyatt hotels or resorts that offer parking, provided that parking charges at such hotel or resort can be billed to the guest room/folio. Not valid at Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Oasis Homes, or M life Rewards destinations. If both are offered by the applicable hotel or resort, benefit is valid for either valet or self-parking. Benefit does not apply to any night for which Globalist is not staying on a Free Night Award (e.g., any paid night’s stay) or any non-stay award redemption (e.g., Dining, Spa, and More Awards).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
Has to be a "participating Hyatt hotel" per the T&C to which OP agreed. Was the property in question "participating"? Language of the t&c is cut & pasted below with the specific term highlighted.

(n) Free Parking: Globalists receive free parking at participating Hyatt hotels or resorts for nights during which the Globalist stays on a Free Night Award. Free parking benefit is valid at Hyatt hotels or resorts that offer parking, provided that parking charges at such hotel or resort can be billed to the guest room/folio. Not valid at Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Oasis Homes, or M life Rewards destinations. If both are offered by the applicable hotel or resort, benefit is valid for either valet or self-parking. Benefit does not apply to any night for which Globalist is not staying on a Free Night Award (e.g., any paid night’s stay) or any non-stay award redemption (e.g., Dining, Spa, and More Awards).
Holy cow, I never considered that there is this participating hotels crap. How do we find out which hotels participate or not?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Has to be a "participating Hyatt hotel" per the T&C to which OP agreed. Was the property in question "participating"?
What a nonsense distraction.

"Participating Hyatt hotels" is clearly defined by the following language which follows that term:

Free parking benefit is valid at Hyatt hotels or resorts that offer parking, provided that parking charges at such hotel or resort can be billed to the guest room/folio. Not valid at Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Oasis Homes, or M life Rewards destinations.
As already stated above, if the parking was billed to your room, it is supposed to be comped. I would fight this all the way up the chain.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would interpret it as hotels that participate in the WOH program. The rest is further detail on what parking is covered.

Does it matter whether the hotel actually provides (owns) the parking itself versus using a third party contractor if the third party charges can be billed to the room? Or am I thinking of some Starwood rule?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does it matter whether the hotel actually provides (owns) the parking itself versus using a third party contractor if the third party charges can be billed to the room? Or am I thinking of some Starwood rule?
No, it doesn't. The benefit is defined by the language quoted above. If the parking can be billed to the room, it's free for Globalists on an award. Doesn't matter who owns or operates the garage.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:42 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
There are many reasons to pay $35 to Hyatt. A mistaken desk clerk, making up rules on the spot, is NOT one of those reasons.

Send a PM to My Hyatt Concierge here on FT and get it straightened out quickly and easily.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Or, I'd also suggest the twitter team.

Especially if it shows up on the bill they can see it and verify you shouldn't have been charged.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I recently stayed at this property. It was not an award stay so I paid the $35, but it was definitely billed to my room. No question this should be removed from the bill for your stay.

Anxious to hear if/how this is resolved.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:45 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Send a PM to My Hyatt Concierge here on FT ...
Originally Posted by jameswes
Or, I'd also suggest the twitter team.
Two names for the same gang of agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.