FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Place Brand to Undergo Refresh (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1912590-hyatt-place-brand-undergo-refresh.html)

GUWonder Jun 4, 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 29828243)
I'm assuming that when Hyatt says members have to book "direct" to continue receiving breakfast, the exclusion is referring to OTAs and NOT corporate booking portals? (As in, WOH members booking through Concur, etc. will still receive breakfast?)

Safe assumption. But some companies that use corporate TMCs and things like Concur may at times have staff who book using methods that would be excluded (at least by this anti-customer policy) from breakfast at HP.

Hyatt used to be great about providing at-hotel elite (and/or base member) status benefits on all Hyatt stays, but it seems like those days may be numbered or eliminated given Hyatt’s attitude wirh regard to breakfast at HyattPlace.

BearX220 Jun 4, 2018 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii (Post 29827906)
Free breakfast has always been a benefit if staying at Hyatt place. They’re keeping it as a benefit for members... They’re only taking it away for those non-members.

Exactly. So this "enhancement" is objectively a narrowing / reduction of the HP experience. Which makes you look askance at the whole announcement. What else is propaganda?

I have not been in many HPs, and I know some were purpose-built, but I think every one I've checked into used to be something else: a Four Points, a Wyndham, etc. There is only so much of a "different vision" you can impose when the bones of an old vision still show through the skin.

joe_miami Jun 4, 2018 3:36 pm

For WoH members, it's not an "enhancement" by any definition of the word. Instead of simply going to breakfast like we've done for years, we'll apparently have to screw around with vouchers or some sort of breakfast check-in system. (And if people can sign up for WoH on the spot to get the free breakfast, then what the hell is the point? Hyatt is going to make us jump through daily hoops just to collect some more email addresses from infrequent customers?)

antonius66 Jun 4, 2018 4:39 pm

If they made the breakfast edible then I'd be ok with it...but I ain't holdin' out hope.

txhyattlvr Jun 4, 2018 4:43 pm

I was actually hoping they would start charging for breakfast (everyone except Globalists, of course...)

The plus side (and we may still see some of this) might be LESS crowding, and better fresher food (that inspires people to pay). Also, hoping this might discourage youth groups, sports teams, etc., who flock to the places with free breakfasts... let LaQuinta and Best Western have them!

dw Jun 4, 2018 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 29828735)
And if people can sign up for WoH on the spot to get the free breakfast, then what the hell is the point?

Presumably non-members who sign up for WOH at check in will still have to book direct for breakfast. So what this really is, is a cost savings measure for property owners.

I believe the commission paid by Hyatt to OTAs like Expedia/Hotels.com or Priceline/Booking is around 10%. On a $100 room rate that $10 per night savings is probably enough to cover the cost of the Hyatt Place breakfast.

joe_miami Jun 4, 2018 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 29829031)

Presumably non-members who sign up for WOH at check in will still have to book direct for breakfast. So what this really is, is a cost savings measure for property owners.

I believe the commission paid by Hyatt to OTAs like Expedia/Hotels.com or Priceline/Booking is around 10%. On a $100 room rate that $10 per night savings is probably enough to cover the cost of the Hyatt Place breakfast.

If that's what this is all about, Hyatt should just add $10 to its rates on the third-party sites. That seems a lot easier than trying to train infrequent guests to book directly at Hyatt.com.

GUWonder Jun 4, 2018 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 29829127)
If that's what this is all about, Hyatt should just add $10 to its rates on the third-party sites. That seems a lot easier than trying to train infrequent guests to book directly at Hyatt.com.

Hyatt wants the third party bookings too and to appear competitive on a room price basis. So “unbundling” and hotel surcharges are a way for hotels to get the business and become more profitable (at least in the short term) by providing less value to the hotel guests and third party agents for the business.

notquiteaff Jun 4, 2018 9:35 pm

I am sure the property owners are going to fall over themselves trying to get their properties refurbished and staffing the breakfast police.

And seriously, wellness/mindfulness videos? I am sooo excited.

MSPeconomist Jun 4, 2018 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 29828997)
I was actually hoping they would start charging for breakfast (everyone except Globalists, of course...)

The plus side (and we may still see some of this) might be LESS crowding, and better fresher food (that inspires people to pay). Also, hoping this might discourage youth groups, sports teams, etc., who flock to the places with free breakfasts... let LaQuinta and Best Western have them!

However, a problem is that most HP food serving areas aren't structured in a way to make it easy/possible to give breakfast to only some guests. It's just part of the lobby with no barriers to prevent the unentitled from eating.

You'd like to see higher qualify breakfasts, but I'd also be happy with lower rates (although I know it's not going to happen).

365RoadWarrior Jun 5, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 29827280)
Hyatt Place isn’t introducing free breakfast for all World of Hyatt members. Hyatt Place has had included breakfast for years now.

This is probably a true statement for the United States properties, but free breakfast is not a universal guest perk outside the United States. London Heathrow Hayes, for instance.

serfty Jun 5, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 29832710)
This is probably a true statement for the United States properties, but free breakfast is not a universal guest perk outside the United States. London Heathrow Hayes, for instance.

I have always had full, free breakfast there.

GUWonder Jun 5, 2018 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 29832710)

Breakfast there too has been included for no additional charge, even if some heated item selections involved a surcharge.

365RoadWarrior Jun 5, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 29833100)
I have always had full, free breakfast there.

...as a Globalist. People without status pay 13.5 GBP, as reported by CloudCoder, consistent with my memory.

GUWonder Jun 5, 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 29833126)
...as a Globalist. People without status pay 13.5 GBP, as reported by CloudCoder, consistent with my memory.

Even as a non-Globalist, an included breakfast was provided at that property.