Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I haven't felt unsafe (but also not been out around the area at night). It's just on a busy street/highway as many have noted. If you go a few streets behind the hotel there are some little grocery stores and residential area. Seems pretty safe to me.

Breakfast is buffet on the 8th floor. You still have to wear gloves when picking out food. No option to order off a menu that I could find. The buffet food is fine but nothing impressive.

I don't think the property is as bad as others have said. It isn't fantastic, I would say it should be a Regency rather than a Grand to be honest.

I took a taxi/Uber in to the Acropolis this morning for 3 Euro. I've been taking the bus as well just because I enjoy public transit.
Wow that is cheap for transit, I plan to stay here soon too and plan on visiting acropolist. How do you get your transportation? Is it thru Uber app
Old Aug 27, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
I booked five nights at the Grand Hyatt Athens at the "Member Bed and Breakfast" rate of 107 Euros a night. After reading these posts for the past month, I was really second-guessing my decision to stay there and briefly considered booking the Hilton instead to take advantage of my Diamond status. I decided to stick with the Grand Hyatt, and I am glad I did. I have to say a lot of the concerns brought up in this forum were not issues for me.

I checked in around 11 p.m. my arrival night, taking "Athens Airport Taxi" from the airport. The lobby was lively, and the agent who checked me in welcomed me as a Globalist and explained the benefits: upgraded room upon availability (but none were, which I verified at Hyatt.com), bonus points, etc., plus the 20 Euro/day credit at the lobby bar, restaurant on the 8th floor, and at the pool. He also explained breakfast would be served on the 8th floor restaurant between 7 - 11 a.m.

My room was a deluxe king. It faced another building to the south, opposite the north side where the construction might be an issue. The room was a good size with wood floors, basic furniture, and a bath with shower (no tub). There were two bottles of water on each night stand, and there was a welcome note on the table next to the window. In addition, there was a large bottle of still water, a mini bottle of ouzo, and some dried fruits. Most important, the bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked well, a big issue with the 108-degree temperatures Athens recorded two of the days I was there. Noticeably missing were a refrigerator (which I suspect was the hotel's attempt to get guests to use the minibar) and a teapot. (I didn't use a suite upgrade when I booked because I didn't have any; this is the stay that puts me over 50 nights for the year.)

I enjoyed breakfast each morning. Perhaps it has changed a bit since previous posters commented on it, but there was a wide selection of hot food, fruits, pastries, and other foods. The hot foods were not outstanding: scrambled eggs, fried eggs, plain omelets, bacon, tiny sausages, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, beans... the standard breakfast buffet fare. The cold side had fresh fruits (watermelon, sliced peaches, pineapple chunks) as well as some fruit cups. There were also salads (greens, traditional Greek, quartered tomatoes, etc.), cheeses, cold meats, spreads, assorted yogurts, and toppings. There was also a station with sweet pastries (including mini apple tarts and lemon tarts) and another with savory pastries, including a very good spinach pie cut into squares and small cheese pies. There were also pancakes, but I did not look closely at them.

The staff in the breakfast room was always pleasant and attentive, even when the place was crowded. I did not mind having to wear the blue gloves, and I saw staff members remind guests who approached the buffet without them to put them on. I arrived at 9:30 a.m. the first morning, closer to 7 a.m. the others. Arriving earlier meant better seating (next to a window), but the buffets did not look any more picked over at 9:30 a.m. than they did at 7 a.m.

Other than breakfast, I did not eat at any of the restaurants, but I did visit the lobby bar each evening while I was there. The bartenders were always sociable and attentive. The prices were pretty high, but my 20 Euro per day Globalist credit was enough to get two glasses of Nissos and leave a tip.

Regarding the location, I did not have a problem with it. Yeah, there are a few night clubs across Andrea Syngrou Avenue from the hotel, but there are also some hotels, a Mikel coffee shop, and other businesses. I never crossed the busy avenue, nor did I go south of the hotel on the avenue. As you walk north (northeast actually) on Syngrou Avenue, there is the construction site, the Onassis Stegi (performing arts center), another construction site, a conference center, the Intercontinental Athenaeum Hotel, and then some smaller business. A little farther up (about 10 minutes from the hotel by foot) is the National Museum of Contemporary Art, which I highly recommend. It's in what used to be a brewery for Fix beer and has an interesting collection. It's not exactly the Tate Modern (it does charge 8 Euros), but it's worth a long browse. The rooftop has nice views of the Acropolis. The museum is next to a metro station, which would be the closest one to the hotel. I never took public transportation, so I cannot speak for how easy it is to use.

The Plaka is about 30 minutes by foot from the hotel. Yes, I did walk it a few times in the heat. 100+ degrees in Athens is actually not as bad as 90 degrees in Tampa (or Washington, New York, or Nashville, for that matter). I also took Ubers (which are actually taxis) to the Plaka and back a few times, and I think the most expensive fare I ever paid to the Plaka was 6 Euros. I did summon a taxi from Monastirika one afternoon, and the fare to the hotel was 8 Euros. Other than rides from/to the airport, that was my most expensive fare.

I know we all have our preferences about this, but I actually prefer staying a little out of the touristic centers of cities. As an example, my spouse and I did a trip to Madrid in early July. We spent 4 nights at the Hyatt Centric Gran Via, which we enjoyed, but I actually preferred the two nights we spent at the Hyatt Regency Hesperia because it was away from the crowds of Gran Via. (In fairness, the Hyatt Regency is next to a metro station so still convenient to everything in Madrid).

I did not notice any large tourist groups while I was at the Grand Hyatt, but it was definitely full of tourists. Most seemed to be from the US from the conversations I heard and people I spoke to in the elevator. One evening in the bar, I overheard a middle-aged foursome discussing their cruise, so I assume it is a hotel for many passengers pre/post-cruise. There were also families and couples who seemed to be interested in sightseeing. I assume the hotel's low rates, which had risen to the 150 Euro range by the time of my stay, attracted many of them.

One of the reasons I did not eat any meals besides breakfast at the hotel was because there are some wonderful tavernas in the neighborhood behind the hotel. I imagine most guests never explore the tree-lined residential streets behind the hotel. Just exit the hotel's front door, turn right onto Leontiou (the street between the hotel and the construction). Walk one block and there is Naif, a nice coffee shop that seemed to have a heavily LGBT clientele. I went there twice for coffee and another time for a sandwich. Walk another block to my favorite taverna, Kalamakeri. An ice cold Fix beer, an order of tzatziki with pita, and a Greek salad is about 10 Euros. They also had more substantial meals that were priced reasonably, but I stuck mostly to cooler foods while I was in Athens because of the heat. I also tried Ta Filarakia, which was a few blocks from Naif. The fried meatballs with potatoes, bread, Greek salad, and 1/2 liter of wine were 15 Euros. Both places appeared to be sole proprietorships where one person took the order, prepared it, and served it to you while you sit at a table under a tree on the sidewalk. To me, that's a much better experience than eating at a hotel restaurant or even the most highly-recommended restaurant in a tourist center.

For those who want to self-cater (even though my room lacked a refrigerator), a Lidl supermarket is a five-minute walk from the hotel.

There is one feature of the hotel that stands out in today's COVID world: COVID testing is available between 10-11 a.m. and 4-5 p.m. The hotel partners with a local clinic, and the prices are reasonable. The PCR test is 60 Euros and the rapid antigen test is 30 Euros. If you go to the clinic in Piraeus, the costs are 40 and 15 Euros, respectively. I did the rapid test one morning at about 10:15 a.m. and received the results by email at 12:45 p.m. My wait was only about five minutes and the test itself was over in a minute, including having the nurse record my information. The hotel was also happy to print my results, as well as my UK Passenger Locator Form.

Overall, this is a good, not great, property. There were some housekeeping inconsistencies: no fresh towels one day, and water was not replenished two days. In addition, just about any tourist activity requires a taxi/Uber or a long walk. However, at the rate I paid, I would consider it a bargain. I would stay again without hesitation even if the rate were a little higher, especially if I could use a suite upgrade.
Did you use credit card when eating at those places or cash?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
Wow that is cheap for transit, I plan to stay here soon too and plan on visiting acropolist. How do you get your transportation? Is it thru Uber app
Yes, use the Uber app. The cars are all taxis, but you'll pay less (and not have to worry about paying in cash since you pay through the app).
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 12:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a chance to stay here a couple of days ago- made a full property video tour. 2nd time staying here, Club lounge still closed, but breakfast being served on the rooftop in the restaurant via buffet. Nice welcome amenity and 50 euros a night toward food/beverage as a Globalist.

janehoya and SharkyTheArchae like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by happyvoid
Did you use credit card when eating at those places or cash?
Sometimes cash, sometimes credit card. I think most neighborhood tavernas accept credit cards.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 6:26 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I agree. We are currenty at this hotel, on our 5th night. We have a very nice Grand Executive Suite, the breakfast has been good, the staff has been very friendly, and we have received a 40 Euro per day F&B credit which can be used in the hotel's two restaurants. Yes, the hotel's location is on a busy, noisy road with crappy sidewalks, but that doesn't bother us. We have only one complaint -- the in-room espresso cartridges are 3 euros each. That is nonsense, and we haven't used any of them.

If you are hesitating to say here because of some of the earlier reviews, ignore those reviews and stay here anyways.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
I agree. We are currenty at this hotel, on our 5th night. We have a very nice Grand Executive Suite, the breakfast has been good, the staff has been very friendly, and we have received a 40 Euro per day F&B credit which can be used in the hotel's two restaurants. Yes, the hotel's location is on a busy, noisy road with crappy sidewalks, but that doesn't bother us. We have only one complaint -- the in-room espresso cartridges are 3 euros each. That is nonsense, and we haven't used any of them.

If you are hesitating to say here because of some of the earlier reviews, ignore those reviews and stay here anyways.
For me...Athens is one of those cities were brand loyalty should be ignored especially when the hotel location is inferior to so many others. There are great hotels in wonderful historic neighborhoods that offer the same amenities and a real Athenian experience.
estnet, mcgahat and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by david55
For me...Athens is one of those cities were brand loyalty should be ignored especially when the hotel location is inferior to so many others. There are great hotels in wonderful historic neighborhoods that offer the same amenities and a real Athenian experience.
Glad I decided to go with this advice to be honest.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Different people have different definitions of what an inferior hotel location is. While being a five-minute walk from the Acropolis or the Plaka is desirable, so is being a five-minute Uber ride from them while being a five-minute walk from neighborhood tavernas that are frequented primarily by locals. I would consider eating at those tavernas and chatting with their owners to be a more authentic Athenian experience than going to crowded restaurants in the more touristy areas. Again, each traveler has to decide what's best for them.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:06 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Check-in yesterday after telling the hotel I would be getting in the morning and not the evening before. This seems to have confused the front desk although I was picked up by the car service.
The suite is on the 2nd floor facing the incredibly noisy road. Barely any sleep last night as the traffic goes 24/7 and you certainly won't get me back here.
The Club Lounge is still closed but the credit is now only EUR20 per day to be used in the restaurants and not room service.
The breakfast is still on the top floor with the buffet - you are required to wear disposable gloves which they provide. Range of food is good. Nothing cooked to order. Coffee ordered from staff.
Room Service was good using my Prive credit ($100/EUR90). The costs are still on my folio so I anticipate a discussion with the Front Desk.
The car service from the airport is EUR80 (before midnight) but worked seamlessly.
Espresso capsules still EUR3 each!
No welcome amenity as not part of Prive.

In summary, ok stay spoiled by the noise and now a property I would not come back to.

Last edited by Markie; Oct 18, 2021 at 12:15 am
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:27 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I spend four nights at this property last week. For me the location was convenient, as I had to spend time in Pireaus (€6-8 with Uber). It took about 10 minutes to walk towards downtown for a nice residential area with lots of cafes/restaurants/terraces. Brisk walk to Syntagma Square was 25 minutes. Quite nice in October, perhaps not so nice in August...

For me the sound proofing was enough in the rooms, but YMMV. Buffet breakfast was pretty good. Service was very good throughout.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'm seeing 70 euro nightly rates here. Has their club opened?
Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Had a chance to stay here a couple of days ago- made a full property video tour. 2nd time staying here, Club lounge still closed, but breakfast being served on the rooftop in the restaurant via buffet. Nice welcome amenity and 50 euros a night toward food/beverage as a Globalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7m08Q0IWp0
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'm checking out today. I booked a Hyatt Privé rate on a weekend at 120 euros per night and it was overall a very decent value. I got upgraded to a Parthenon Suite, which is a Premium Suite. As others reported, the location is not ideal, but 30 minutes to the city by walk was still acceptable to me. The real issue can be the noise from the road/highway if you're a light sleeper. I found service to be excellent.

The Grand Club is still closed. My stay included a Saturday night and the hotel felt empty, I guess they're at about 10-20% of occupancy, which is nothing. You get 20 euros per person per night for F&B, however do note that room service is not included.. which doesn't make much sense as the 90 euros credit from Hyatt Privé

Also only the indoor pool was open, against a fee (I haven't seen this in any location so far). I guess it's because the spa is 3rd party operated, but it sill sounds a bit greedy.. same goes for the 3 euros coffee pods.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by llb09
....You get 20 euros per person per night for F&B.......Also only the indoor pool was open, against a fee (I haven't seen this in any location so far). I guess it's because the spa is 3rd party operated
Are the prices reasonable for their F&B? Is it truly 20 Euro per person per day or can we deduct 100 Euro in one meal on our final 5th night? Do you recall the price to access the indoor pool and their jacuzzi?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by 168
Are the prices reasonable for their F&B? Is it truly 20 Euro per person per day or can we deduct 100 Euro in one meal on our final 5th night? Do you recall the price to access the indoor pool and their jacuzzi?
20 euros is not enough for a main dish and a beer. Their below average rooftop place is overpriced

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.