Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Athens REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 30, 2018, 11:08 am

Bah is that all? A few whores and skin joints? I thought you meant like drug addicts and dealers, robbers etc. I mean, the IC Budapest has an army of hookers right next to it every night and it's one of the best locations and hotels in the city.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by janehoya
Prostitutes and strip clubs. The area hasn't improved at all in 35+ years. I can't understand why the Hyatt is going into that location. My husband is a Globalist with Hyatt and a nobody with Hilton, yet we will choose the Hilton each and every time over that location.
Not really that bad. The area is perfect for a tourist looking at the sites. The area is slowly getting better and its convenient for public transportation. Prostitutes shouldnt scare anyone away. I see them at the Grand San Francisco, Singapore and many many other Hyatts. The area is a good location for a tourist! As I have plenty of family in nearby Nea Smyrni and Kalithea.

I for one am very very happy and prefer this location over the new Marriott.

The area really isnt that bad.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Prostitutes and strip clubs. The area hasn't improved at all in 35+ years. I can't understand why the Hyatt is going into that location. My husband is a Globalist with Hyatt and a nobody with Hilton, yet we will choose the Hilton each and every time over that location.
You may not have the Hilton much longer to choose from.It was bought a few years ago and now the talk is it will be converted into high end condos.

That said the only big brand hotel worth staying at in Athens is a Starwood : The Grande Bretagne. Otherwise...the smaller boutique hotels are the best bet.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by david55
You may not have the Hilton much longer to choose from.It was bought a few years ago and now the talk is it will be converted into high end condos.

That said the only big brand hotel worth staying at in Athens is a Starwood : The Grande Bretagne. Otherwise...the smaller boutique hotels are the best bet.
We are aware of the chatter and will (sadly) cross that bridge when we come to it. If the Hilton closes I suspect we will move on to the GB, as the location is beyond compare. Well, unless there is a demonstration out front, and then it's the worst location in Athens. 😉
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:39 am

We are aware of the chatter and will (sadly) cross that bridge when we come to it. If the Hilton closes I suspect we will move on to the GB, as the location is beyond compare. Well, unless there is a demonstration out front, and then it's the worst location in Athens. 😉
If you are ever looking for a smaller boutique hotel try either the AthensWas ( part of the Starwood family) or the AVA. We have stayed at the AVA twice now and will do so again next April. Huge rooms and their top floor suites have sprawling terraces looking at the Acropolis.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by david55
If you are ever looking for a smaller boutique hotel try either the AthensWas ( part of the Starwood family) or the AVA. We have stayed at the AVA twice now and will do so again next April. Huge rooms and their top floor suites have sprawling terraces looking at the Acropolis.
Thanks very much for the recommendations. I will definitely look into them when/if the Hilton closes.

Feel free to PM if you want restaurant recommendations in Athens.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Bookable from August 18. But, as others have said, not a fabulous location
janehoya likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Looking at many dates, I see it's a choice of $270/night or 12,000 points. Category 3. Seems like a great deal, though it depends on whether you think $270/night is fair.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
Looking at many dates, I see it's a choice of $270/night or 12,000 points. Category 3. Seems like a great deal, though it depends on whether you think $270/night is fair.
Booked 3 nights on C&P rate (6k points and approx. $64/night) for late May 2019. Regular rates were $233/night or $220/night with advance purchase. Will see how reviews pan out between now and then.

Last edited by Dsm2m2; Jul 8, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:23 am

While I understand loyalty, location takes precedence for me, especially in vibrant city such as Athens. Perhaps someday the Hyatt's neighborhood will have changed enough to anchor a 5* hotel, but at $230 C&P rate a night...there are so many other good hotels in the heart of the ancient city and walking distance to attractions that put the Hyatt off my list of possible choices.
janehoya likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
To clarify:

$233 was the cash member rate, with $220 being the advance purchase cash rate.

C&P was 6,000 points and approx. $64.00 / night.

Last edited by Dsm2m2; Jul 8, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
TSU

Just booked a stay around Christmas. I applied a TSU which booked into a Grand Suite King.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:38 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Hotel has officially opened.
there is an opening offer rate of 105.

http://newsroom.hyatt.com/index.php?s=20295&item=123718

CHICAGO (August 8, 2018) - Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) announced today the opening of Grand Hyatt Athens, marking the first Hyatt hotel in the Greek capital and the first Grand Hyatt branded hotel in Greece. The luxury property is located on Syngrou Avenue next to the Onassis Cultural Centre and combines dramatic architecture with innovative design, easily accessible to historic sites and best-in-class restaurants.

The vibrant city of Athens offers countless activities for all types of visitors. At the same time, it is also known as the historic capital of Europe an ancient city with rich culture, iconic sites and attractions.

Athens is fast becoming the destination of choice where ancient history sits alongside modern coffee shops and rooftop bars, said Nikos Trikourakis, general manager of Grand Hyatt Athens. Our hotel will offer guests who seek first-class hospitality unforgettable experiences and a luxurious place to stay.

Celebrating iconic Greek culture, the 309-room hotel incorporates curated art reminiscent of ancient Athens. Alongside original pieces from the Museum of Cycladic Art, the hotel also showcases a glamorous lobby with an extraordinary art installation called The Coin, which is made from replicated, ancient Athenian coins representing the Greek economic supremacy in the fifth century BC. The propertys rooftop also offers the spectacular Penthouse Restaurant and an outdoor swimming pool with impressive views of the Acropolis.

Grand Hyatt is situated within walking distance of the beautiful old town of Plaka and the infamous Acropolis site, while golf courses, the passenger port terminal of Piraeus and the golden beaches of the Athens southern suburbs are just a short car ride away.

The hotel will be managed by Kokari Limited and has been developed by the international real estate investment companies Henderson Park and Hines. It will be the second Hyatt property in Greece, joining Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki.

Accommodations

Designed with bold and vibrant features, the hotel has 309 beautifully decorated guestrooms, 38 of which are suites, including the Presidential Suite, Royal Suite and four Grand Executive Suites with terraces. The rooms feature spectacular views of either the Acropolis, the cityscape or the inner landscaped garden, and offer a spacious and luxurious stay. Additionally, suite and club room guests have exclusive access to the Grand Club Lounge, which provides lavish surroundings, personal concierge services and culinary highlights throughout the day.

Dining

The impressive rooftop restaurant is set on the hotels top floor overlooking the brightly lit Acropolis neighborhood of Athens through transparent glass surfaces and offers guests the extraordinary experience of fresh, seasonally-inspired Mediterranean cuisine. For a more relaxed environment, guests can also dine in the Aphrodite lobby lounge & bar, a modern and comfortable lounge-style restaurant offering patisserie selections, salads and deluxe sandwiches.

Wellbeing and Fitness

Grand Hyatt Athens has a stunning rooftop outdoor swimming pool with breathtaking views of the Acropolis and the Parthenon. The wellness center features four private treatment rooms, an indoor heated swimming pool, relaxation lounges, a sauna and a Turkish bath, known as a Hammam (to open in early 2019) - offering a destination of serene luxury and relaxation.

Meetings and Events

Grand Hyatt Athens offers the perfect venue for every type of event with almost 21,500 square feet of flexible event space and seven flexible multi-functional meeting spaces accommodating up to 1,000 guests. Conference facilities are equipped with the latest audio-visual technology paired with dedicated personal assistance at all times to ensure that events and meetings run smoothly.

For more information, please visit www.grandhyattathens.com.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:25 am
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Staying at GH Athens atm, and apparently they dont have the Grand Club Lounge, a bit disappointing given that it says they have one on the website. Other than that, its a really good place to stay in Athens. Rooftop pool is sick!
tigerwong likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:27 pm

No lounge as in, no longer at all ever or it just isn't ready yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.