FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   What to do with Anniversary Free Night Award? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1908726-what-do-anniversary-free-night-award.html)

sailor279 May 10, 2018 11:14 am

What to do with Anniversary Free Night Award?

I'm a Chase Hyatt Visa holder and each year I receive an Anniversary Free Night Award (Cat 1-4). Unfortunately, I can't seem to use them by the time it expires. This year, I've got until 6/11 to use/lose but have no time to use it.

I hate to see it go to waste so wanted to ask my savvy FT community for suggestions on alternatives on how to spend/preserve/keep the value, etc.

Ideas?

invalyd May 10, 2018 11:34 am

There are reports of some members receiving 10k points by calling Hyatt after their night expires. YMMV.

shakim May 10, 2018 12:35 pm

I'm sorry but I must ask, how are you not able to use 1 night in an entire year? Do you not travel at all..? Or stay at a Hyatt? If that's the case, what made you get the card in the first place?

skywalkerLAX May 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by shakim (Post 29739237)
I'm sorry but I must ask, how are you not able to use 1 night in an entire year? Do you not travel at all..? Or stay at a Hyatt? If that's the case, what made you get the card in the first place?

I always ask myself that question as well and am shocked to hear this even from seasoned travelers (or so they should be). MY guess is folks holding onto these awards for a high value redemption to feel they get the most value of it and then ending up not being able to use it at all on time.

ClarkGriswold May 10, 2018 3:43 pm

IIRC you can use these to make a reservation for somebody else. Could be a nice getaway from mom on Mother's day... :)

jameswes May 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 29739362)
I always ask myself that question as well and am shocked to hear this even from seasoned travelers (or so they should be). MY guess is folks holding onto these awards for a high value redemption to feel they get the most value of it and then ending up not being able to use it at all on time.

Previously, if chasing status people have have been trying to to paid for C+P for eligible night/stay credits. In which case, 10K points is more valuable to use for C+P.

Now though... I can't think of a good excuse not to use it.

mikew99 May 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by shakim (Post 29739237)

I travel once or twice a month, but the only Hyatt stay I had last year was the Chase free night I used locally for the sole purpose of not wasting it. I could have gone out of my way to stay at a Hyatt, but it simply never made sense for my trips last year. So it does happen, even to former Diamonds like me.

OP, sounds like it's time for a staycation!

Duke787 May 10, 2018 7:11 pm

I find it puzzling too when people have this card and can't use the certificate. I always seem to be able to find a good use for it and at the very least come out ahead of the $75 annual fee.

Just got mine today and already have it redeemed for the next year. Having a wedding in Maine this summer and need a hotel for one night in Portland on our way up. Hyatt Place Old Port in the summer was ~$355 plus tax at the member rate but eligible for the free card night. Pleased with that value. Last year used mine for the Hyatt Place Charlotte the night before a Panthers game which was of similar value (typically $150-175 for a weekend night there but because of the Panthers game it was over $300).#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }

sailor279 May 11, 2018 11:21 am

Good questions about why I can't use in a year -- but the short answer is 'no', unable to use this (or even last year). I travel all the time for work but less so for personal. When I do, I look for the best deals, often use Airbnb or typically stay in higher category properties. I may ask Hyatt CS for a point credit in lieu of this since I can put it to better use at a Cat 5++ property.

Duke787 May 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by sailor279 (Post 29742977)
Good questions about why I can't use in a year -- but the short answer is 'no', unable to use this (or even last year). I travel all the time for work but less so for personal. When I do, I look for the best deals, often use Airbnb or typically stay in higher category properties. I may ask Hyatt CS for a point credit in lieu of this since I can put it to better use at a Cat 5++ property.

If I may be so bold as to ask -- wouldn't using this on one of your personal trips for a *free* night stay be the best deal over AirBnB since you know it's free (or $75 if you count annual fee)?

sailor279 May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

@Duke787: Also a good question -- but it just worked out that a stay at a Cat 1-4 Hyatt property was just not worth it, IMO. They either weren't in the right location to where I wanted to be or not available at the time and/or inferior accommodations relative to Airbnb. "Best Deal" doesn't always mean free...although cost is always a factor! :)

phant0m May 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 29738999)
There are reports of some members receiving 10k points by calling Hyatt after their night expires. YMMV.

I asked them to extend one of my four club upgrades to use in Oct when it expires in June and they're like no go. Never even used one since I typically stay at Park Hyatts.

Ritz Carlton on the other hand was more than happy to extend my club upgrades certs as long as I needed them.

dakid23 May 13, 2018 9:05 am

Using mine at the HR Vancouver.