Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Etiquette on letting people into the lounge...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etiquette on letting people into the lounge...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
All of the lounge I have visited (not Hyatt one unfortunately) ask the room number before direct you to the table.

Some lounge even have more secure layout .... swipe card for elevator access then swipe again at lounge door
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I always make sure to hold the door open for them as I am leaving the lounge.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kaizen7
All of the lounge I have visited (not Hyatt one unfortunately) ask the room number before direct you to the table.
In my experience, those are definitely the minority - both in asking the room number and directing you to a table. In fact, I have never experienced the latter.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I'll comment further. I've seen far fewer "tailgaters", meaning people I suspected were sneaking in who are not entitled, than I have seen obvious facilitated "mass pggybacking", meaning legitimate admitees bringing in additional friends, family members, work associates, sorority sisters, people they just met in the bar and are trying to impress; sometimes in numbers that literally take over the place. I'd be great if the hotel worked the door and checked the list twice. Just don't think guest judgement is a replacement for it.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:35 pm

You aren't the lounge police, so let yourself in, and if the people behind you tailgate and let themselves in, that's on them, not you.

-David
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This post should be auto-posted in every thread where there is a rant about a lack of proper food & drink or any other poor condition in a lounge. No one extra stale muffin makes a difference any more than any other piece of petty thievery. But, lounges are designed for projected patronage. If one has access and facilitates the thievery, don't expect the lounge to be larger or better stocked next time.

It's why we can't have nice things.
The idea that occasional tailgaters are the reason many lounges lack proper food or drink is rather misguided.

And knowing how often my key doesn't even open my own room i am gonna give those waiting by the lounge door the benefit of the doubt.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:46 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by azepine00
And knowing how often my key doesn't even open my own room i am gonna give those waiting by the lounge door the benefit of the doubt.
So I no longer need to earn status . I can just wait by the lounge door and you'll let me in, right?

At hotels without a lounge, will you bring items from the breakfast buffet to me at my table?

May I also use the living area of your suite while you're in the sleeping area, and vice-versa?

I'm so glad that you will share your earned perks, so that I no longer need to earn my own status. BTW (this goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway): THANK YOU!! You're awfully generous. (Except for the fact that you're giving away something which is not yours to give.) But it's the thought that counts, right? Thank you again for your generosity.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:13 am

Of course I will hold the door open for someone behind me as well as opening it if I notice someone struggling with the card entry system ( it has happened to me more than once and I’ve been grateful for assistance).
This sneaking in to the lounge must be a US Millennial issue because I’ve never seen it anywhere outside the US).
Most decent hotel lounges will ask for the room number once and then it’s remembered for the duration of the stay.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:00 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
So I no longer need to earn status . I can just wait by the lounge door and you'll let me in, right?

At hotels without a lounge, will you bring items from the breakfast buffet to me at my table?

May I also use the living area of your suite while you're in the sleeping area, and vice-versa?

I'm so glad that you will share your earned perks, so that I no longer need to earn my own status. BTW (this goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway): THANK YOU!! You're awfully generous. (Except for the fact that you're giving away something which is not yours to give.) But it's the thought that counts, right? Thank you again for your generosity.
I think that is a little over the top. Knowing how many times the front desk screws up access, it is not unusual at all that people entitled to access are just trying to get in and get on with their day, rather than wasting 10 or more minutes going down to front desk, addressing it (hopefully with no line to talk to a clerk) and then getting back.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CloudCoder

I agree with LINDEGR - this is way over the top (probably intentionally).

#1 - it's nice etiquette to hold open a door for someone else. I've never heard of proper etiquette is taking food from a buffet to hand to a stranger. Or to let a stranger into your room.

#2 - Also, as others have mentioned, it's common to have the lounge keycard not work properly. For lots of reasons.
I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt where possible. I have certainly appreciated when others have held the door open for me when they hotel auto-deactivated my card at 11 even though I have a 4 PM checkout. Or when they forgot to tag my card with lounge and I don't want to go back to the front desk right away.

So absolutely, there can be people that get into the lounge without proper security. But it seems like it's probably a much smaller deal than you're making it to be.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
The lounge tailgater issue is mainly a US issue. Many non-US lounges have attendants at the entrance asking for room number and how many guests are entering the lounge.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
So what if I want to check in at the lounge?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:16 am

I see all this as a non-issue.

Every serious hotel lounge (with a proper buffet) has formal reception where everybody checks in.

Keycard-only hotel lounges which people can piggyback into are usually just dingy rooms with tables, chairs, rotting fruit and bottled water.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355

Keycard-only hotel lounges which people can piggyback into are usually just dingy rooms with tables, chairs, rotting fruit and bottled water.
while I agree this is the case sometimes, the lounge here in Grand Cypress is decent to good and has some good offerings as well as free beer and wine. Yesterday people were knocking for a good few minutes to be let in...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:50 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
while I agree this is the case sometimes, the lounge here in Grand Cypress is decent to good and has some good offerings as well as free beer and wine. Yesterday people were knocking for a good few minutes to be let in...
When we were at Grand Cypress last year, the lounge was staffed every time we were in it. Is that no longer the case ? The staff should deal with the "knockers" and not let it go on for minutes. To me, this is a different situation than with the "tailgators". I'm not going to slam the door in anyone's face, but neither am I going to open the door for anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.