Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt to SPG to Hyatt - Boomerangs Coming Back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER

Several bloggers and in Marriott/Starwood forums are leaking unofficial news on the new combined program, which is rumored to start kicking in during second half of 2018. All rumors and nothing confirmed.

I am a SPG LT Gold and will be SPG LT Platinum if it survives through 2019 (which may not be happening now and was wishful thinking on my part). So, I have a lot to lose but it is out of my control. I just made sure to meet Globalist and SPG Platinum (due to potential LT goal as mentioned above).

I remember a little over a year ago, all those fleeing Hyatt loyalists swearing off Hyatt for life and running to SPG. It will be interesting to see the number of boomerangs (aka flip floppers) coming back to Hyatt after the revised SPG/Hyatt program.

Yes - I miss the old Hyatt program, but it is working for me over the past year or so.

So who is panicking and now considering coming back?
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CrashDavis
Several bloggers and in Marriott/Starwood forums are leaking unofficial news on the new combined program, which is rumored to start kicking in during second half of 2018. All rumors and nothing confirmed.

I am a SPG LT Gold and will be SPG LT Platinum if it survives through 2019 (which may not be happening now and was wishful thinking on my part). So, I have a lot to lose but it is out of my control. I just made sure to meet Globalist and SPG Platinum (due to potential LT goal as mentioned above).

I remember a little over a year ago, all those fleeing Hyatt loyalists swearing off Hyatt for life and running to SPG. It will be interesting to see the number of boomerangs (aka flip floppers) coming back to Hyatt after the revised SPG/Hyatt program.

Yes - I miss the old Hyatt program, but it is working for me over the past year or so.

I remember sentiment to leave, but I don't remember anyone saying "for life".
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It will be interesting to see the number of boomerangs (aka flip floppers) coming back to Hyatt after the revised SPG/Hyatt program.
Doubt Hyatt will see much of that. Anyone who can't make 75 nights with Marriott/SPG's combined footprint and credit card nights is going to find it next to impossible to hit 60 with Hyatt.
notquiteaff and adunker like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum

Not me.

I've still got the Hyatt CC which gives me
Explorist
Explorist gives me MLife Gold
and 1 free night annually.

The credit card stays in my sock drawer and I'm still (slowly) burning down Hyatt points. I haven't paid for a Hyatt room (except cash + points) since the new program was announced.

I tried Hilton, was matched Diamond (now Gold), but wasn't impressed. Need to burn those points.

I've read reports that multiple Hyatts have cheapened on lounge offerings. If that's the case, there's no way I'd spend more money (Hyatts are more expensive for comparable properties than other chains) chasing Hyatt Glob. I've got the club access awards that should allow me to see if that's true.

I'm actually very thankful that Hyatt changed their loyalty program. Since that happened, we've reduced our vacations - we're no longer doing vacations that are centered around chasing statuses - and have bought a beautiful new home that cost twice our old house. We're waiting on our HOA to approve our $80K pool plans so that's more former vacation money that we're using for other things.

Looking at Awardwallet, we've still got quite a few loyalty program points that we should burn. It will probably take us another couple of years to get all of our accounts close to zero.

So thanks Hyatt, you convinced us that we were wasting way too much money on travel. And we're not missing the travel/perks.
DeltaFlyingProf and invalyd like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Doubt Hyatt will see much of that. Anyone who can't make 75 nights with Marriott/SPG's combined footprint and credit card nights is going to find it next to impossible to hit 60 with Hyatt.
^ Correct. And Marriott/SPG offers better perks at intermediate levels than Hyatt.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
Originally Posted by JackE
I remember sentiment to leave, but I don't remember anyone saying "for life".
Scroll back through the prior posts on the changes. Not literally, but implied by many with statements that they were done with Hyatt and not coming back. It was a mass exodus to other programs, most commenting about heading to SPG.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:12 am

Even 75 nights would be easier and cheaper for many people at SPG, compared to 60 nights at Hyatt, including the cost/ease of doing mattress runs if they fall short.

Unless they gut the elite benefits, which we haven't seen yet, I don't foresee much of the "boomerang" effect.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
No. Marriott management has already stated they can afford to increase elite benefits with the savings they achieve by only having one program instead of 2.
No chance at all I will return to Hyatt. Every tier below the top one is just useless to me and there is no way I am doing 60 Hyatt nights. SPG/Marriott will still provide a significantly greater value and footprint.
itsallgood likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
No chance at all I will return to Hyatt.
I really don't miss the Hyatt program. There are a few properties I will continue to frequent (just had a very nice stay at PH Zurich) . . . and in those cases, FHR rates provide roughly equivalent benefits to top tier status.
itsallgood likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:18 am

I really don't miss the Hyatt program. There are a few properties I will continue to frequent (just had a very nice stay at PH Zurich) . . . and in those cases, FHR rates provide roughly equivalent benefits to top tier status.
That's interesting with FHR; I initially considered using Virtuoso but I get 4 club upgrades/yr as an Explorist and I don't see myself staying at Hyatts that often. So, for me, very little lost over when I was a Diamond.

With the combination of Marriott and SPG, the footprint is now so much larger than Hyatt. I've tried to stay at Hyatts in Europe in the past but I found their locations to be extremely limited. Not so with the combined Marriott and Starwood.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:55 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
No. Marriott management has already stated they can afford to increase elite benefits with the savings they achieve by only having one program instead of 2.
Not to defend WOH in any way, but I'd say let's wait for the upcoming integration announcement from Marriott before we judge what's actually going to happen with that program. In these times, I'm skeptical when any airline or hotel company claims that they are going to increase benefits for members.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I will never say never, and if the MR benefits are reduced and they move to a dynamic award model based on room rates, I would definitely consider switching back. The WOH program is still pretty solid; I just think it requires way too many nights given the limited footprint. I struggled to make the 25/50 thresholds before the changes, and usually ended up qualifying on stays so it would be tough.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
But will those 75 nights give attractive enough benefits to focus there? That's an important question. Both SPG's and Hyatt's membership base is accustomed to working with a program that doesn't offer the footprint of Starriot and offers extra benefits to compensate. Pre-WOH it was possible to maintain BOTH SPG Platinum and Hyatt Diamond on as few as 46 nights in hotels (if all one night stays). If these changes are implemented, it could take 130-160 nights to maintain both, and there's a lot more pressure to choose one than there was previous. At least some of those who left could be doing e.g. 75-100 nights in SPG/hyatt markets - not enough to double-dip plat50 and Globalist, bt more than enough to choose one or the other. Benefit changes can certainly drive a shift.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Hyatt.. Of course I miss some properties... but that's it. Too limited footprint than Marriott+SPG.
And I can book through FHR or Virtuoso for the hyatt properties that I like.
If 25 stays, I would move some of my stays to Hyatt to achieve the highest tier. But for 60 nights?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
In my case, it might be SPG to Hyatt, followed by more SPG to Hyatt. I got Hyatt status match when Marriott acquired Starwood, and I have maintained Hyatt Globalist by moving some nights from SPG to Hyatt. If Marriott takes away my SPG Ambassador tier level because of the $20k USD spend requirement, then even more nights will move from SPG to Hyatt and Hilton. I am glad Hyatt now gives 10k bonus points for each 10 nights after 60. At least I will have an incentive for moving more business to Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.