Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What happens if you don't show up for a nonrefundable award booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

I am booking a three night stay for next year, and the terms of the reservation says that it's full deposit required at booking / non-refundable.

If I have to cancel my booking or don't show up for the booking, will they just take my points away (20,000 WOH pts / night) or will they charge me the cash price ($950/night)?

EDIT: @HyattConcierge answer - you get charged the cash rate on the day of cancellation

Last edited by samwise6222; Apr 8, 2018 at 9:06 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:30 pm

never heard of Hyatt having this bs policy that SPG had for many years to refund the points & charge the paid rate in the case of a no-show or cancellation after the deadline on an award reservation
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by Colin
never heard of Hyatt having this bs policy that SPG had for many years to refund the points & charge the paid rate in the case of a no-show or cancellation after the deadline on an award reservation
You can email SPG customer service to pick between the cash rate and points (they have this instruction on your point bookings). I've done it before.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Colin
That is the default, but as pointed out above, you can easily swap it out. However, SPG has never had a bs policy of making an award reservation non-refundable. And I'd also say that all this discussion about SPG is off-topic.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That is the default, but as pointed out above, you can easily swap it out. However, SPG has never had a bs policy of making an award reservation non-refundable. And I'd also say that all this discussion about SPG is off-topic.
@HyatConcierge just responded:

The points would be refunded and any penalty would be charged to the credit card on file instead

Yikes.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by samwise6222
@HyatConcierge just responded:

The points would be refunded and any penalty would be charged to the credit card on file instead

Yikes.
This borders on criminal.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JackE
This borders on criminal.

No-show equals the day of check-in walk up rate? Wow.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
It appears that way.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:20 pm
Suspended

And I would immediately do a CC charge back. The room was paid for with points, not cash. I would cite merchant fraud as the reason for the charge back.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kingdom
And I would immediately do a CC charge back. The room was paid for with points, not cash. I would cite merchant fraud as the reason for the charge back.
And the chargeback will be reversed.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:55 am

https://twitter.com/HyattConcierge/s...39899237896192

No shows -- this I already knew.

What's wilder about this situation is that they're going to do that even if you cancel a month out. I haven't seen such strict non-refundable terms on points bookings before.

Obvious question -- which property are we talking about?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:56 am

You may want to call the property direct. I had the same issue at a Fairmont and the corporate people told me the same thing as you.

When I called the hotel direct they assured me this would not be the case.

We did not end up cancelling so I did not have to find out for sure
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:35 am

it is certainly good to know, for certain high-demand bookings, of the potential financial exposure.
yes, in practice, status and dealing directly with hotel will likely mitigate the loss, but I still like to always know my maximum downside risk up front
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kingdom
The chargeback would be decided against you as soon as the t&c were provided to the merchant vendor's processor. Do this enough as a card holder and your issuer (bank) will get tired of you as a customer.

I would be careful about advising others to initiate chargebacks in this circumstance.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold

Obvious question -- which property are we talking about?
Park Hyatt Maldives has 30 - 60 day cancellation requirement, which would expose you to $10,000+ penalty if you had to cancel at the last minute.

A lot of properties around the New Years Eve has non-refundable policy for point bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.