Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Point Value

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Hyatt Point Value

I don't stay at many Hyatt's but have about 20,000 Hyatt points. I have a flight arriving late into Orlando airport and thinking of staying at the Hyatt in the airport overnight. Cash price is $263 or 12,000 points or 6,000 points and $84.38 ($75.00 plus taxes). I assume I am better with the points plus cash rate,
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:43 pm

Yea, I'd go with the p&c as the first option or the 12k pts if you want to use your pts. The HP Orlando Airport is actually pretty nice. I liked it and thought the service was great.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
2.2 cents per point redemption on 12K miles, 1.4 cents per point redemption on 6K miles
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
2.2 cents per point redemption on 12K miles, 1.4 cents per point redemption on 6K miles
While there are other considerations, such as if the OP has any future use for the pts, the redemption value for the 6K pts on P&C in this case is 3 cents per pt (or more if the $263 is not including taxes).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Just to be clear, that's the comparative value of the 6k additional points needed for the 12k redemption vs cash + points.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Just to be clear, that's the comparative value of the 6k additional points needed for the 12k redemption vs cash + points.
Now that math works. 3 cpp for the first 6K and 1.4 cpp for the 2nd 6K (resulting in 2.2 cpp for 12K).

Except for the category 7 hotels, P&C is always a better redemption value than all pts (assuming of course that there is future use for the pts and that no major devaluation occurs before the pts can be used).
1flyer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Now that math works. 3 cpp for the first 6K and 1.4 cpp for the 2nd 6K (resulting in 2.2 cpp for 12K).

Except for the category 7 hotels, P&C is always a better redemption value than all pts (assuming of course that there is future use for the pts and that no major devaluation occurs before the pts can be used).
And Category 1, now that award nights are elite qualifying. $50 + tax to save 2,500 points is poor value.

There is also the potential for random situations in other categories, where P&C picks up a service charge or resort fee or something that all-points might avoid. (can't think of any though, maybe parking for Globalist?)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
And Category 1, now that award nights are elite qualifying. $50 + tax to save 2,500 points is poor value.

There is also the potential for random situations in other categories, where P&C picks up a service charge or resort fee or something that all-points might avoid. (can't think of any though, maybe parking for Globalist?)
Thanks for the correction. If I'd taken 2 seconds to look I would avoided the mistake on cat 1.

And I can also see your point on possible extraneous charges. Sometimes even the outrageous exchange rate some properties use to calculate the cash portion of P&C pushes it close to the limit on value per pt vs all pts.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
To demonstrate this, here's the chart by category:
1: 5K or 2500 + $50, 2cpp
2: 8K or 4K + $55, 1.37 cpp
3: 12K or 6K + $75, 1.25 cpp
4: 15K or 7.5K + $100, 1.33 cpp
5: 20K or 10K + $125, 1.25 cpp
6: 25K or 12.5K + $150, 1.2 cpp
7: 30K or 15K + $300, 2 cpp

In other words, at a category 3, assuming that you've already decided it is worthwhile to pay with points, your cost is either 12K Points, or 6K Points + $75.
So, are you willing to pay $75 for 6,000 points? In other words, do you expect that you will get greater than 1.25 cents/point return going forward?
In other words, would you buy Hyatt points at 1.25 cents/point. If yes, then C+P typically makes sense.

As some others have said, it is definitely not QUITE that straightforward:
- Points only comes with free parking. That could easily run $40+ in a city.
- If you're not globalist, Points Only comes with waived resort fees. Which could also run $25+/night a lot of places.
- Random taxes & fees are tacked on

For example, Grand Hyatt NYC:
25K points. No additional costs, period.
OR
12.5K Points + $150 + $13 city tax + $3.50 occupancy tax + $9 state tax + $25 destination fee.

Or, something like Andaz 5th, parking is probably somewhere around $50/night - so if you were going to use the benefit, all points is probably better.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
The HP Orlando Airport is actually pretty nice. I liked it and thought the service was great.
Yeah, for a quick overnight stay before a morning flight I have always paid cash for that property.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It varies property to property, season to season.

e.g. A property I often stay at, Hyatt Place Miami Airport East is generally from $230 in winter and $130 in summer (including Taxes).

It is a Cat. 2 hotel so award 8000 points or C&P $62 + 4000 points.

At those rates, in January Award is 2.9¢ per point, C&P 4.3 ¢pp; in June Award 1.6¢ pp with C&P 1.7¢ pp.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by holocker
I don't stay at many Hyatt's but have about 20,000 Hyatt points. I have a flight arriving late into Orlando airport and thinking of staying at the Hyatt in the airport overnight. Cash price is $263 or 12,000 points or 6,000 points and $84.38 ($75.00 plus taxes). I assume I am better with the points plus cash rate,
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Yea, I'd go with the p&c as the first option or the 12k pts if you want to use your pts. The HP Orlando Airport is actually pretty nice. I liked it and thought the service was great.
just to clarify the choices, the Hyatt in the airport is the Hyatt Regency and is category 3 (used to be a category 4 a few years ago). The Hyatt Place Orlando Airport is a shuttle ride away and is a category 2 (it was briefly a category 1 last year) so is 8K points. OP must be talking aboutt the former based on the numbers he provides. and it's probably worth it for the 20-30 minutes of extra sleep you'll get by being able to go straight to the front desk and register vs. waiting for the shuttle which only runs every half an hour or even less often late at night.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
just to clarify the choices, the Hyatt in the airport is the Hyatt Regency and is category 3 (used to be a category 4 a few years ago). The Hyatt Place Orlando Airport is a shuttle ride away and is a category 2 (it was briefly a category 1 last year) so is 8K points. OP must be talking aboutt the former based on the numbers he provides. and it's probably worth it for the 20-30 minutes of extra sleep you'll get by being able to go straight to the front desk and register vs. waiting for the shuttle which only runs every half an hour or even less often late at night.
Yep! I know OP was referring to the HR. I'm talking about the HP Orlando Airport. A fab choice if the HR is out of the price range.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm debating using UR for a Hyatt stay: $750 vs 50k points. What would you do? I'm inclined to use cash b/c can get 3x points with CSR and I'm a point hoarder, but I do think this is a debate worth thinking about. How do you all decide?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm debating using UR for a Hyatt stay: $750 vs 50k points. What would you do? I'm inclined to use cash b/c can get 3x points with CSR and I'm a point hoarder, but I do think this is a debate worth thinking about. How do you all decide?
Just curious, what category hotel and how many nights? If it's $750 vs 50K points, I'm assuming you are just paying through the Chase UR portal.

BUT keep in mind:
- You don't get night credit (or the extra bonus points being awarded now, 1K for all hotels, 1.5K for HP/HH
- You don't get waived resort fees or waived parking (glob only)
- You don't get lounge access or free breakfast (Glob/other)

So I'm asking the above because there are really three options:
1) $750 cash
2) Transfer UR -> Hyatt, use Hyatt points
3) Pay with UR through UR portal

1 & 2 count for status, earn points, get status benefits.
3 gets you a room, nothing more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.