Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Residence Club Key West, Sunset Harbor REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

I have been a diamond aka globalist for 3 years and stayed at over 50 different hotels under the Hyatt brands so far. I’m just shocked how awful the Hyatt Residence Club Key West, Sunset Harbor is. Here are my reviews.
1. Parking. The website said the parking is limited self parking. Well the reality is much more complicated. This place doesn’t have its parking space. To park, you have to pull up your car near the tiny space near the registration, get a key card then enter the garage across the street from the hotel. Note the first floor is valet only so that’s off limits. After you park, you then carry your belongings through some stairs and back to the hotel. Alledgedly there is an elevator but I couldn’t find it.
2, View. Don’t be disguised by its name. Key West is famous for its sunset but this hotel is probably not the best place to view it. Instead most of the view is blocked by the pier. Oh did I mention cruise ships often park at the pier behind the hotel?
3. Room. I’m just shocked by the room. I was assigned a studio on the ground level. The view is dumpster plus the elevator. The room itself fits a king size bed, two chairs and thats it. Not even a desk. But I guess you don’t need a desk while at Key West?
4. Noise. Sound proof barely exists. I could hear the elevator noise, and footsteps from upstairs.
5. Checkout policy. I get it is a timeshare resort but 4pm check in with 10am checkout time is just stingy.
Overall, not a good stay. Don’t redeem your 20,000 WOH points or spent $$$ here.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
What part about booking a timeshare resort made you think that it was a full service hotel?

Hyatt make it pretty clear that no elite benefits apply at HRC.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
What part about booking a timeshare resort made you think that it was a full service hotel?

Hyatt make it pretty clear that no elite benefits apply at HRC.
Did I mention anything about elite treatment?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mediator
Did I mention anything about elite treatment?
If you are a rando at a hotel, then you would expect to get exactly what you paid for, nothing more. If however, you:
have been a diamond aka globalist for 3 years
And you expect things to be better (and typically are codified as explicit benefits for elite members), such as:
1. Parking.
3. Room. I’m just shocked by the room. I was assigned a studio on the ground level.
5. Checkout policy. I get it is a timeshare resort but 4pm check in with 10am checkout time is just stingy.
Those are things that as an elite member and paying with points at most hotels, you would expect to be better. But Residences Clubs are just timeshares with a Hyatt logo, and Hyatt explicitly says over and over that other than earning points/nights, you pretty much get nothing.
https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...att-terms.html
Old Dec 12, 2021, 9:26 am

This is actually a marvelous use of points. 20k for a studio, compared to 25k for other HRC in the area of HC. I was expecting a dumpy old room, and while the room itself is small it is well done, and in the corner with the Cuisinart coffee machine are silverware and plates which look nice. The bathroom is amazing, two sinks, full-sized stand-alone tub with separate shower, very beautiful in the way a nice hotel is beautiful.
The outdoor area is small but has a pool and hot tub and some swings where you can look out onto the marina.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
This is actually a marvelous use of points. 20k for a studio, compared to 25k for other HRC in the area of HC. I was expecting a dumpy old room, and while the room itself is small it is well done, and in the corner with the Cuisinart coffee machine are silverware and plates which look nice. The bathroom is amazing, two sinks, full-sized stand-alone tub with separate shower, very beautiful in the way a nice hotel is beautiful.
The outdoor area is small but has a pool and hot tub and some swings where you can look out onto the marina.
This is good to know. Might keep it in mind next time I have to go to EYW. I'm assuming you posted here because there's no master thread for the property -- maybe the mods can make this one & rename it?
Old Dec 12, 2021, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
This is good to know. Might keep it in mind next time I have to go to EYW. I'm assuming you posted here because there's no master thread for the property -- maybe the mods can make this one & rename it?
Yea, was looking for a place to stay in Key West. Google brings this up. No idea if there are other threads cause I just use google to search FT cause the search engine here is so bad.

Anyway there are 3 Hyatt Residence Clubs, but they are all out of the way (you would need a car) whereas this is centrally located. The Hyatt Centric I've stayed at before and it is ok, you get nice balconies overlooking the water (sort of).

In general looking with points Hilton are all super-expensive, so are IHG (Kimptons).
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yea, was looking for a place to stay in Key West. Google brings this up. No idea if there are other threads cause I just use google to search FT cause the search engine here is so bad.

Anyway there are 3 Hyatt Residence Clubs, but they are all out of the way (you would need a car) whereas this is centrally located. The Hyatt Centric I've stayed at before and it is ok, you get nice balconies overlooking the water (sort of).

In general looking with points Hilton are all super-expensive, so are IHG (Kimptons).
Yeah I sent a note to the mods asking them to rename the thread.

I just pulled this one up on the map & totally agree, the location looks great. Equally well situated compared to the Centric (assuming Duval St debauchery is the aim). Last time I had to join a weekend thing I burned two Cat 7s at the Centric, but this looks like a very viable points option. Weekend rates down there are just out of control even at dumpy limited-service brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.