Search

Park Hyatt tokyo booking help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, hyatt globalist, alaska mvp75K
Park Hyatt tokyo booking help

Hi all, globalist here.

Trying to think through a few options here. Right now i have 2 nights at Hyatt Regency Tokyo followed by 5 nights at PH Tokyo coming up later this week. Bookings are as follows:
1. HR 1 night is a cat 1-4 promo award
2. HR 2 night is normal 12K points reward
3. PH Tokyo is normal 30K points reward + confirmed suite upgrade to king suite.

That said, my company has a rate of (w/taxes) 42,000Y at PH Tokyo for night #2 that right now would be at HR. I could switch over to that but i can't apply suite upgrade to it. That same rate is basically available the entirety of the stay at PH Tokyo and its making the value of the points redemption look weak. Issue is if i try to change this up, i'm prob going to end up losing the suite upgrade because its only available for those 5 nights i already have booked. But wondering if i want to take back some points for a different vacation (nothing specific planned but always opportunities - like hawaii in fall or something).

My priority is most nights at PH Tokyo and to not blow a ton of points on a bad value redemption..esp when i also of course need the nights to build towards status requal. but obviously nice to not shell out $3K in hotel stay either.

What do you think? Keep? change? Thanks all.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Interesting dilemma.

It is definitely painful to pay $400+ cash for a room night when you have points to burn, even though you know the points are worth more than that...

I don't really think that 5-nights at the PH is worth 150K points, but a suite upgrade does change the perception somewhat. However, I'm more of the kind of person who would stay 5 nights at the HR since I'd be out and about most of the day, and then a couple of nights at the PH and barely leave the hotel...

I agree that changing to a cash rate could lose you the upgrade, unless you have a really good Concierge.

So many hotels play games with points inventory that I certainly wouldn't save them for a Hawaii trip.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:37 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MatthewBL
What do you think? Keep? change? Thanks all.
I personally would not pay extra for PH if it was just me on a business trip. (I'm not sure how many are in your party. I try to stay cheap when I'm a solo traveler, and go big when I'm with family.)

30K is an awful lot of points, considering the paid rate. Still, points are certainly not a Savings Account. Overall, a good strategy is to spend them before they get devalued.

Suggestion: figure out what you want to do, then email your Hyatt Concierge and ask them to please do it for you. If they can't or won't, then call the hotel directly. I always start my "call the hotel directly" phone call with, "I tried to get My Hyatt Concierge to do this, but was having a hard time getting them to understand what I want. This caused me to wonder, "Who on this planet is the best in the world at understanding the (name of hotel) ... and that's why I'm calling you today. Can you help?".

(Obviously, hotels can't redeem WoH points and awards, but they can make space available.)

Good luck.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, hyatt globalist, alaska mvp75K
Update. Shifted the booking successfully to have a suite upgrade award for all 7 nights. First 4 paid with corporate rate (~$400/night) and then last 3 on points since the rate was higher for those nights. And managed to book a 7 night cash and points at GH Kauai for thanksgiving week for 12K/night + $150 (vs $450 cash rate) so i'm thinking i may have maximized best of both worlds here but definitely painful to pay anything for first few nights...! Not 100% sure on this choice but at least Hyatt was nice enough to try to help me do it. One advantage I have is i wind up between the two bookings with 11 nights towards requalifying for globalist i wouldn't have had otherwise. $400 a night is a little tall for a night qual of course.

Thanks for advice all.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:12 pm

So if you were wondering about the PH Tokyo regular room vs suite, on this board it seems regular room (base level) is quite horrid and small. I stayed on points and got upgraded to a nicer room (view or something) and it was reasonably sized, not much inferior to the suite I had last time. Got in-room check. You get the Club on the Park anyway as a globalist. I'd say forget about the suite upgrade and just pay cash for the PH. You can use the points for Maldives or something
MatthewBL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.