Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manager offered ... but was not honored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manager offered ... but was not honored

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:09 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by nlkm9
so what does the reference to zappos mean?
Zappos made a huge pricing error in May 2010.
https://www.fastcompany.com/1651302/...-pricing-screw
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
The law of contracts enforces promises. That's fundamental.
Who's dispensing useless illegal advice now? You would flunk first year law for those kinds of claims. The promising party must be authorized to make the promise.

Originally Posted by aviators99
What about this contract do you find unenforceable? A promise in this context *is* a contract. An e-mail offer has been considered acceptable as a written contract for many years, now.
I'll tell you what. I'll send you an email promising that Marriott will give you one million dollars. That would be exactly as enforceable as the unauthorized promise the manager made.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If it's not part of a signed, enforceable contract, it's just a promise.

It doesn't matter. The managers were not authorized to make that promise. Even a vice president probably doesn't have that authority if he/she is not in the World of Hyatt hierarchy.

It'll be interesting to monitor that situation.
Glad I asked.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
A hotel manager offered a personal bribe, to be paid by Hyatt Corp. When Hyatt Corp wouldn't pay the bribe, screamin' and hollerin' ensues.

Sorry, but I think Hyatt Corp is doing the right thing. Hotel manager offered something which was not theirs to give.

Suggestion: ask nicely at the hotel if they can offer some kind of customer service bonus points. The situation is 100% caused by the local hotel, so it's 100% their duty to fix it. Still, I don't see a fix as a likely outcome, as the hotel has already shown their expertise at trying to make Hyatt Corporate foot the bill for their own mistakes.
Were you suggesting that I was "screamin' and hollerin'"? Not even once. I'm pretty good at speaking nicely to people.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who's dispensing useless illegal advice now? You would flunk first year law for those kinds of claims. The promising party must be authorized to make the promise.

I'll tell you what. I'll send you an email promising that Marriott will give you one million dollars. That would be exactly as enforceable as the unauthorized promise the manager made.
If the OP gave you something in exchange for that promise, he/she would be entitled to some compensation from you once Marriott (obviously) failed to deliver the money.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:05 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Were you suggesting that I was "screamin' and hollerin'"? Not even once. I'm pretty good at speaking nicely to people.
Apologies for my choice of words. Of course we can't literally Scream and Holler over the internet. But your topic has certainly generated a flurry of posts.

The takeaway from this thread is that while you've been trying to get Hyatt Corp. to deliver the promises made by the local hotel, it seems that only the local hotel can make it right.

Suggestion: speak nicely to the local hotel, to find out if and how they choose to make it right.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this was a group contract, there ought to be a standard form Hyatt group contract signed (electronic signatures are fine) by both parties and it should state in it what amount to the deal terms. This would include the obvious such as the room rate and the less obvious such as points and other credits, whether they are included and who gets them. Finally, the contract will make clear that it is the sole controlling document and that any "side deals" are unenforceable.

Finally, in most states in the US, the concept of "apparent authority" exists. Thus, when dealing with the sales manager of a property on a Hyatt email account, it is reasonable for Hyatt to be bound by the apparent authority of its sales employee. On the other hand, if the cleaning lady at a restaurant down the street made the same offer, it would be hard for OP to argue that the cleaning lady had the apparent authority. This exists because, generally speaking, it is hard for the contracting party to know what level of authority the other side has.

So, the question to OP is, what does the sales contract say and who was it between? Was it between you personally and the property or were you doing this as a work-related effort, but the perks were a "side benefit" for you?

The complete details are essential here. Otherwise, you are not providing sufficient information and what you get back will be vague too.
Pookynubbers likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
In any organization, you'll find people who make promises that they are not authorized to make.
well, perhaps the OP should initiate a chargeback for the hotel charges and send the hotel a note indicating that, they too, unfortunately were not authorized to make promises for the room payment.
Pookynubbers likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Apologies for my choice of words. Of course we can't literally Scream and Holler over the internet. But your topic has certainly generated a flurry of posts.

The takeaway from this thread is that while you've been trying to get Hyatt Corp. to deliver the promises made by the local hotel, it seems that only the local hotel can make it right.

Suggestion: speak nicely to the local hotel, to find out if and how they choose to make it right.
I've been doing just that....process is still on going...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If this was a group contract, there ought to be a standard form Hyatt group contract signed (electronic signatures are fine) by both parties and it should state in it what amount to the deal terms. This would include the obvious such as the room rate and the less obvious such as points and other credits, whether they are included and who gets them. Finally, the contract will make clear that it is the sole controlling document and that any "side deals" are unenforceable.

Finally, in most states in the US, the concept of "apparent authority" exists. Thus, when dealing with the sales manager of a property on a Hyatt email account, it is reasonable for Hyatt to be bound by the apparent authority of its sales employee. On the other hand, if the cleaning lady at a restaurant down the street made the same offer, it would be hard for OP to argue that the cleaning lady had the apparent authority. This exists because, generally speaking, it is hard for the contracting party to know what level of authority the other side has.

So, the question to OP is, what does the sales contract say and who was it between? Was it between you personally and the property or were you doing this as a work-related effort, but the perks were a "side benefit" for you?

The complete details are essential here. Otherwise, you are not providing sufficient information and what you get back will be vague too.
I'm still in process with Hyatt (WOH and the property) It's all negotiation at this point. Do they feel the cost of honoring the terms is worth it. And I have to decide if the effort is worth it. ;-)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:10 pm
Suspended

I'm still in process with Hyatt (WOH and the property) It's all negotiation at this point. Do they feel the cost of honoring the terms is worth it. And I have to decide if the effort is worth it. ;-)
Why not answer the specific questions I posed?

Of course, it's a process of negotiation and customer service. That goes without saying. But, the specifics matter and the advice you sought here is useless without the specifics.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:53 pm

There is no Agency relationship between you and Marriott, which makes your hypothetical different.
controller1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Why not answer the specific questions I posed?
Easy there! It should 'go without saying' that I don't need to answer your questions - nor do I need to justify why.

Of course, it's a process of negotiation and customer service. That goes without saying. But, the specifics matter and the advice you sought here is useless without the specifics.
If the 'process and negotiation' goes without saying - then it must be also go without saying that my question was not 'useless.' I've gotten a lot of information that was useful. If you want to be involved in the conversation - then be better at communication.

I appreciate the helpful responses. You can choose to be nicer and less pedantic.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Easy there! It should 'go without saying' that I don't need to answer your questions - nor do I need to justify why.

If the 'process and negotiation' goes without saying - then it must be also go without saying that my question was not 'useless.' I've gotten a lot of information that was useful. If you want to be involved in the conversation - then be better at communication.

I appreciate the helpful responses. You can choose to be nicer and less pedantic.
Because it does matter.

If as several others have suggested, this was a side deal to sweeten the pot a bit for you personally when you were negotiating for a business, then the whole issue of whether this is a contract goes out the window and it's understandable why the corporate people won't touch a bribe / kickback situation.

So, that is why the facts do matter. This is a public board and others read this to get advice as well.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 18, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aviators99
There is no Agency relationship between you and Marriott, which makes your hypothetical different.
+1

Obviously the hotel/sales managers have apparent authority even if they lacked actual authority to enter the bargain struck. That's good enough to win a damages claim against either the agents or the principal (Hyatt). Basic. OP has it in writing. The main "first year law" question for me would be whether OP subsequently (i.e. after the emails) entered into a "final" contract that didn't include the points/credits; if so, that may discharge whatever obligation the email-evidenced agreements created.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.