Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manager offered ... but was not honored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manager offered ... but was not honored

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Because it does matter.

If as several others have suggested, this was a side deal to sweeten the pot a bit for you personally when you were negotiating for a business, then the whole issue of whether this is a contract goes out the window and it's understandable why the corporate people won't touch a bribe / kickback situation.

So, that is why the facts do matter. This is a public board and others read this to get advice as well.
We're in agreement - the facts matter. I never asserted it didn't.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1

Obviously the hotel/sales managers have apparent authority even if they lacked actual authority to enter the bargain struck. That's good enough to win a damages claim against either the agents or the principal (Hyatt). Basic. OP has it in writing. The main "first year law" question for me would be whether OP subsequently (i.e. after the emails) entered into a "final" contract that didn't include the points/credits; if so, that may discharge whatever obligation the email-evidenced agreements created.
It depends what the subsequent Agreement says. For example, if it says that it is the "entirety" of the Agreement, then *perhaps* the obligation would be discharged. It's still not clear cut. In any case, I believe OP should ask for something different from the property; something they can give them.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1

Obviously the hotel/sales managers have apparent authority even if they lacked actual authority to enter the bargain struck. That's good enough to win a damages claim against either the agents or the principal (Hyatt). Basic. OP has it in writing. The main "first year law" question for me would be whether OP subsequently (i.e. after the emails) entered into a "final" contract that didn't include the points/credits; if so, that may discharge whatever obligation the email-evidenced agreements created.
You are presuming that OP this was part of the contract. OP explicitly refuses to say. Thus, impossible to say whether this is something which OP is contractually owed or whether it is an illegal kickback.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
It depends what the subsequent Agreement says. For example, if it says that it is the "entirety" of the Agreement, then *perhaps* the obligation would be discharged. It's still not clear cut. In any case, I believe OP should ask for something different from the property; something they can give them.
Thanks for all the tips. The only length I'm willing to fight is the following - since it's minimal efffort. If the nights aren't awarded - I'll send a letter coroporate and all the way up the food chain. I'll also mention that I plan to send letters to the state's AG for the property, the AG for the state of Hyatt corp, and the BBB of both as well. It's free to do - so we'll see what happens.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You are presuming that OP this was part of the contract. OP explicitly refuses to say. Thus, impossible to say whether this is something which OP is contractually owed or whether it is an illegal kickback.
Illegal kickback? I doubt it - but they have better lawyers and more money so if they feel that it's in that realm - I'm not going to fight back. Thanks for all the tips. The only length I'm willing to fight is the following - since it's minimal efffort. If the nights aren't awarded - I'll send a letter coroporate and all the way up the food chain. I'll also mention that I plan to send letters to the state's AG for the property, the AG for the state of Hyatt corp, and the BBB of both as well. It's free to do - so we'll see what happens.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO, those types of complaint letters rarely generate a useful response.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
How many nights are we talking?

I don't see how WoH can be made to enforce an agreement that some rep wasn't authorized to make. At most, it's a comp issue for the hotel in question. Letters to state AGs are a waste of time.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Who's dispensing useless illegal advice now? You would flunk first year law for those kinds of claims. The promising party must be authorized to make the promise.

I'll tell you what. I'll send you an email promising that Marriott will give you one million dollars. That would be exactly as enforceable as the unauthorized promise the manager made.
For a guy throwing around barbs about flunking the first year of law school...
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
IMHO, those types of complaint letters rarely generate a useful response.
It's only intended to let WOH know that it's as far as I'll go.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami
How many nights are we talking?
Quite a lot. Not trying to be coy - but that's more information than I'm willing to provide.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I don't see how WoH can be made to enforce an agreement that some rep wasn't authorized to make. At most, it's a comp issue for the hotel in question. Letters to state AGs are a waste of time.
They won't be made to enforce it; it's just the 'squeaky wheel.' Had some progress today. I think the gain from this will be worth the time, but I'll keep everyone posted. Hope to have it all finalized by Wednesday or Thursday.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Update: today I received notice that I had received ‘globalist’ status. All told, it took a little extra effort (a few calls and a few emails) but I received what was offered and agreed upon.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Did you get Globalist or Globalist lite
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by martinplas
Did you get Globalist or Globalist lite

lolol just read this whole thread and this quip ends it on a perfect note. It’s basically the old joke about such terrible food (“and such small portions too!”).

Last edited by stvr; Mar 22, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:26 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Update: today I received notice that I had received ‘globalist’ status. All told, it took a little extra effort (a few calls and a few emails) but I received what was offered and agreed upon.
If you book multiple rooms, WoH is supposed to count just one room per night for stay credit. (Other chains are different. For example, Starwood counts up to 3 rooms per night.)

Shall we assume that WoH gave you Stay Credit for multiple rooms per night? And that they made good on a local hotel's promise?

If so, then I'm glad you received what was promised. You got lucky. Perhaps Hyatt will change their program to count multiple rooms per night. We can always hope.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:05 am

Glad OP got Globalist.

He relied on what the hotel manager (who had apparent authority) said, acted to his detriment in making the booking and did his part. Enforceable legally and morally.

Or he could also, as an alternative, claimed against the hotel for misrepresentation and ought to be put in a position as if the misrepresentation had not been made.

Good for you, OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.