Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Great Scotland Yard Hotel, London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great Scotland Yard Hotel, London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:35 pm

As this is on my work doorstep I must a visit to one of the bars after work. For anyone staying it is so very well placed with tons of sights on your doorstep. For those who like a morning walk or jog you can see go past four current or former Royal Palaces. You have down Whitehall the Banqueting Hall of the former Whitehall Palace, then Parliament Square the Palace of Westminster(Houses of Parliament to many), then down birdcage walk at the end Buckingham Palace and then part way down the mall the more interesting and historical St James Palace. You then continue down the Mall and either go through Admiralty Arch to Trafalgar Square or down Horse Guards across the parade square, through the arch and to the rear of the mounted soldiers on guard on Whitehall. I did the later version as a very brisk lunch time walk today as part of my get fitter in 2020 plans.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Curious if anyone has any comparison thoughts of this vs. the Churchill, if you have stayed at both.

Kinda would like to stay at the GSY on my next London trip (both for newness as well as a different location in London), but the tiny rooms and non-availability of the TSU room(s) is a dissuader.
EuropeanPete and Dsm2m2 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:53 am

@UA-NYC - did you complete your trip yet? I've been wondering the same thing! Though for my dates I do see Suites available - do TSU's book into the Koestler or Sherlock suites (which look amazing!)?

Thanks for any recent updates from anyone
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by madderlake
@UA-NYC - did you complete your trip yet? I've been wondering the same thing! Though for my dates I do see Suites available - do TSU's book into the Koestler or Sherlock suites (which look amazing!)?

Thanks for any recent updates from anyone
I'm booked there late March...think I will do it over the Churchill, esp. since I have to move after two nights for work to a cheaper Marriott option. Like trying something new.

My concierge said the suite is the Lewis suite (mentioned upthread) - tiny but also rarely if ever available apparently.

So - if anyone goes to the GSY, seems like we should keep our room sizing expectations in check.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:09 pm

Thank you - that's helpful!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: SK Gold
Just finished a 2-night stay. Could see upgrade to Koestler Suite in the app, which was exciting. We arrived before noon. Suite was occupied by another Globalist with 4 pm checkout. We were offered a resting room in the meantime, a nice gesture very much appreciated. All the staff at all times were very enthusiastic, proactive and friendly. The atmosphere was very personal and we simply felt welcome. There are a lot of quirky things everywhere hinting at the Great Scotland Yard era. If you go there, make sure to check out the speakeasy, which is a whisky bar.

The resting room presumably was an entry level room and, as others pointed out already, pretty small but tastefully furnished. We went out for an afternoon stroll and dinner. On our return everything had been moved to the suite. To be honest the suite wasn’t exactly large either, but just so charming! The sitting room had a fake fireplace, which was just so cosy and created a feel good atmosphere. I definitely hope to return soon.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by Travel4Love; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:00 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:15 am

Thanks for this Travel4Love! Super helpful - and good to know they will upgrade into the Koestler suite when available. Just checked into the Andaz Liverpool Suite and may try and do a couple days at Great Scotland Yard while we're here to give it a try...
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Great Scotland Yard vs Churchhill

Having stayed at the Churchhill and exploring Great Scotland Yard, I would far prefer GSY both for quality of the product, location, and service. The rooms are far more beautifully decorated with far higher quality finish than the Churchhill. Everyone was exceptionally friendly who worked there and all of the special touches make GSY an easy choice between these two properties. Exceptional place to stay.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Looking forward to our stay at this property in June. Never been a fan of the Churchill. And used a Prive rate at this property. thanks for the heads up that it is good.
Goodmorning2U likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Any recent stays, specifically anyone use a prive agent and any upgrades?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:24 am

I am still excited about this property. I have an upcoming stay in March and hopefully I don't have to cancel it because of COVID-19. At the moment the travel restrictions are to high to travel anywhere in Europe
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Axwell D
I am still excited about this property. I have an upcoming stay in March and hopefully I don't have to cancel it because of COVID-19. At the moment the travel restrictions are to high to travel anywhere in Europe
Agreed - I am two months behind (May stay) but only assuming 50/50 chance I'm let in by then!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:15 am

As a non-status person, booking a suite using points looks like a terrible idea. The Koestler suite (at 323 sq ft) is not much larger than the standard room, yet can be booked at 50K points, double a standard room. While it may include breakfast, it seems like a poor use of points. The cash price differential (about 170GBP) seems also hard to justify.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by xooz
As a non-status person, booking a suite using points looks like a terrible idea. The Koestler suite (at 323 sq ft) is not much larger than the standard room, yet can be booked at 50K points, double a standard room. While it may include breakfast, it seems like a poor use of points. The cash price differential (about 170GBP) seems also hard to justify.
Spending 50.000 points is definitely too much. You are at the better end if you pay cash rates like member rates which are around £190-230 and use 6.000 or 9.000 points for a guaranteed upgrade to a standard or premium suite.

If you have a lot of spare points, it is even nicer to use the points on properties in Asia like the Cape Fahn on Koh Samui in Thailand. That is a category 5 hotel and the cash rate for the lowest room category which will also be a Tropical Pool Villa is at around $835 but only 20.000 points per night.

There are of course a lot of other sweet spots.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have re-booked my trip for a Sept weekend...been tracking prices and they just dropped the base level room by over 100 GBP, hope I can keep this trip...
bcosinteno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.