Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How are you celebrating your last day as Globalist?

Old Feb 28, 18, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

I enjoyed a huge breakfast spread at the Grand Hyatt DFW after a night in the presidential suite with a decent bottle of complimentary red wine. I still have a decent chunk of points so my Hyatt days aren't over, but not sure if I'll ever make Globalist again absent some type of match or challenge that includes TSUs.
Old Feb 28, 18, 10:39 am

I expect that I will have died that day. I'm pretty sure about that, actually. This will coincide with my loss of Hilton Diamond and SPG Platinum status.
Old Feb 28, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
We enjoyed celebrating my wife's birthday with 4 nights in a suite at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek. 3 nights on points, one night with a free night cert. No resort fee, no parking and excellent free breakfast! Hope to get it back again one day.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Had a delicious b'fast in the Blue Duck Tavern at the PH Washington, followed by a 4pm check out. The upgrade was nice, too.

I am not looking forward to life as an Explorist.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:15 pm

I have burned > 400,000 points since the change to WOH was announced in 4Q '16. Most recently, meaning two weeks ago, my wife and I spent five nights in a great suite at the uncrowded PH in Mallorca using points and a TSU. Granted that it was off-season, but this didn't preclude our doing everything that we wanted, except for a swim in the Mediterranean. Despite this concerted effort to work down my point accumulation, I still have just < 100,000. Hopefully Explorist will be worth something, and I can reduce the Hyatt point accumulation even further.

As for the present, I am considering a trip to TPE in the spring, and trying to choose between a FS Marriott, a Westin and a Sheraton. I am hoping that my LT Platinum status with Marriott will not be diluted when the SPG and Marriott plans are eventually merged.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:32 pm

I think I've nearly completed the mental transition and am no longer searching Hyatt properties for future travel.
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
Had a delicious b'fast in the Blue Duck Tavern at the PH Washington, followed by a 4pm check out. The upgrade was nice, too.

I am not looking forward to life as an Explorist.
I bused right by there today, I would have stopped and had breakfast with you. ; )
Old Feb 28, 18, 1:43 pm

Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
Spent most of the AM, looking at EXPLORIST benes vs GLOBALIST benes, was Diamond past 7 years.

Explorist will be an easy get, especially with award nights counting. WAS going to reach and get those last 15 nights or so, to get to 60 and GLOBALIST this year. But after reviewing, Explorist will be fine. I could reach, but will choose not to. Just no value. Bring back the "welcome amenity" and I'd probably strive to be GLOBALIST again. Also, go back to DIAMOND, Globalist, Explorist, etc......stupid, imo.
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:43 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
I will be staying at Starwood. Used up all my points and TSUs so waving goodbye to Hyatt.
bbbb likes this.
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Spent my last day as Glob booking more points stays. Still have >100K pts to burn. Once I'm done with that, I'll start working on my Starpoint cache. I'm LT Marriott Plat but done chasing status. I will now just book best value, ignoring hotel loyalty programs.
Toula likes this.
Old Feb 28, 18, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
Spent my last day as Glob booking more points stays. Still have >100K pts to burn. Once I'm done with that, I'll start working on my Starpoint cache. I'm LT Marriott Plat but done chasing status. I will now just book best value, ignoring hotel loyalty programs.
That is a good strategy in theory, but there is the hurdle of program benefits. You have to put a value, if any, on late checkout, lounge access, suite upgrades, waived resort fees, sometimes-waived parking, free nights, etc. If you give all those $0 value, then it's easy. Otherwise, not so easy.
Old Feb 28, 18, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
That is a good strategy in theory, but there is the hurdle of program benefits. You have to put a value, if any, on late checkout, lounge access, suite upgrades, waived resort fees, sometimes-waived parking, free nights, etc. If you give all those $0 value, then it's easy. Otherwise, not so easy.
Again, Marriott LT Plat. Between Marriott and Starwood, I've got a lot of hotels covered for that stuff. I'll compute the cost of those items when booking.
Old Mar 1, 18, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
I expect that I will have died that day. I'm pretty sure about that, actually. This will coincide with my loss of Hilton Diamond and SPG Platinum status.
I suspect that, if you have clever family members, your lifetime Globalist status might outlive you for some time...
Old Mar 1, 18, 6:04 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I spent the night of Feb 28th at a Hyatt property. So far in 2018, I have 18 Hyatt nights and 18 Starwood nights. In 2017, all of those nights would have been at Hyatt. However, I'm not falling for that trick again. With Hyatt, the faster you qualify in 2018, the sooner your benefits expire in 2019. Thus, they only get half as much business from me this year as in previous years.
Old Mar 1, 18, 7:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
I spent the night of Feb 28th at a Hyatt property. So far in 2018, I have 18 Hyatt nights and 18 Starwood nights. In 2017, all of those nights would have been at Hyatt. However, I'm not falling for that trick again. With Hyatt, the faster you qualify in 2018, the sooner your benefits expire in 2019. Thus, they only get half as much business from me this year as in previous years.
Just to be clear - you're only talking about TSUs (and I guess the free night awards that are now good for a year). If you stay that often, wouldn't you also get a TSU at 70,80,90 nights (if you chose)? So as long as you hit one of the milestones (60,70,80,90) in late December, then you're covered for basically all of 2019. Unless there's some reason why you really need 2 or more TSUs in November/December 2019, AND you won't hit 60 nights before November/December 2019.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: