Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How are you celebrating your last day as Globalist?

How are you celebrating your last day as Globalist?

Old Mar 1, 18, 8:34 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Just to be clear - you're only talking about TSUs (and I guess the free night awards that are now good for a year). If you stay that often, wouldn't you also get a TSU at 70,80,90 nights (if you chose)? So as long as you hit one of the milestones (60,70,80,90) in late December, then you're covered for basically all of 2019. Unless there's some reason why you really need 2 or more TSUs in November/December 2019, AND you won't hit 60 nights before November/December 2019.
One year? The terms & conditions state the following: "The Category 1-7 Free Night Award is valid for one hundred and eighty (180) days from the date of issuance and must be redeemed for a reservation with a checkout date before the expiration of the award."

The same language is used for the Cat 1-4 free night award when obtaining Explorist status.

I would guess there are a good amount of business travelers that won't be able to use these awards at worth-while properties within 180 days of getting them issued if they earn them too early in the year. For these people, it may be best to delay obtaining certain status levels until they know they will be able to redeem the awards at a specific property.
tkelsay is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 8:52 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stilllwater OK (SWO)
Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Posts: 966
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Just to be clear - you're only talking about TSUs (and I guess the free night awards that are now good for a year). If you stay that often, wouldn't you also get a TSU at 70,80,90 nights (if you chose)? So as long as you hit one of the milestones (60,70,80,90) in late December, then you're covered for basically all of 2019. Unless there's some reason why you really need 2 or more TSUs in November/December 2019, AND you won't hit 60 nights before November/December 2019.
Exactly. I don't understand the strategy either. Sure, the sooner you reach 60 nights, the sooner your TSUs expire, but also, the sooner you get your TSUs to use or book where you want as well.

I am going to hit 60 at the end of July. On August 1, I will be trying to redeem one TSU for winter break, one TSU for 'spring break, and two TSUs for summer travel.
Then, when I hit the bonus 10 (Late Septemeber, then late October, then sometime mid-late December, if all pans out as planned), I will evaluate if I need any TSUs for those incremental months next year or, if not, I will pocket the points instead. People complain about not being able to redeem TSU's, but it's like getting 'supersaaver airfares', the early bird (or booker) gets the worm.
MarkOK is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 9:20 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,790
Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
Exactly. I don't understand the strategy either. Sure, the sooner you reach 60 nights, the sooner your TSUs expire, but also, the sooner you get your TSUs to use or book where you want as well.

I am going to hit 60 at the end of July. On August 1, I will be trying to redeem one TSU for winter break, one TSU for 'spring break, and two TSUs for summer travel.
Then, when I hit the bonus 10 (Late Septemeber, then late October, then sometime mid-late December, if all pans out as planned), I will evaluate if I need any TSUs for those incremental months next year or, if not, I will pocket the points instead. People complain about not being able to redeem TSU's, but it's like getting 'supersaaver airfares', the early bird (or booker) gets the worm.
You need to read what the bloggers say about this. And maybe you also need to go back to 2nd grade arithmetic. Unless you continue to hit 60 nights at about the same time each year or consistently post more than 60 nights throughout the year, there is the potential for a large gap when you have no TSUs that can be applied. The same holds true for Exporist Club Access Awards.

More to the point, what in the world does your post have to do with this thread?????
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 9:51 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 3,355
Lounging by my private pool at the Conrad Koh Samui!

Currently here in KS for two weeks. Already had 4 nights at the W where I was upgraded to a oceanside villa as a Starriott Gold.

The Conrad is treating me exceptionally well. It is a fantastic deal here for 10 nights, only 760k points.
zombietooth is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:47 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stilllwater OK (SWO)
Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Posts: 966
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
You need to read what the bloggers say about this. And maybe you also need to go back to 2nd grade arithmetic. Unless you continue to hit 60 nights at about the same time each year or consistently post more than 60 nights throughout the year, there is the potential for a large gap when you have no TSUs that can be applied. The same holds true for Exporist Club Access Awards.

More to the point, what in the world does your post have to do with this thread?????
1. I don't travel like the bloggers do and their needs and priorities are often at odds with mine. My goal isn't to maximize every cat 7 certificate at PH Maldives. My goal is to enjoy travel to its fullest within an 'upper middle class' income and time limitations.

2. My travel pattern is mostly self driven (not work driven) and thus fairly predictable and controllable.
3. Having a 'large gap' where I don't have a TSU in my pocket is meaningless in comparison to simply being able to use them. My key times to use them is winter break (usually the non-peak week after new years), spring break, and early summer. Getting them as soon as possible after early summer is ideal because that gives me the most time to coordinate using them with my travel. Waiting until December so that I make sure I have them through the following Fall months is simply pointless at best, and at worst, just provides time where I may loose the availability to use them where and when I want. I can't travel much at all during the fall, and when I do, it is for work when the TSU is worth much less.

I get if the strategy is to wait until a certain date because you want to use them at a very specific time. I wish they would have an expiration date a little longer. But the common complaint that earning them sooner means they expire sooner is tiresome. No matter when you earn them, you have 12 months to burn them. You get no more time to find a use for them just because you earn them later.

And yes, this became tangential to the thread, but I didn't make the false claim that " the faster you qualify, the sooner your benefits expire"
MarkOK is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:15 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Midwest
Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 749
I wonder how many former Globalist who have been Diamonds for years will forget the downgrade and be surprise with a breakfast bill. I know I would forget the downgrade if it wasn't for this forum.
thucanhho is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:18 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 4,004
I assume most Hyatts will be doling out far fewer complimentary breakfasts today.
JetAway is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:48 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TPA/SRQ
Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,564
I spent it responding to their wonderful email explaining how much fun I will now have as a newly downgraded Hyatt Exploder elite.

I explained to them its been fun, but its time to run. I am not going to have to slog through a bunch of HH and HP's, on their limited footprint to hit 60 nights. I told them the minute they announced the new Glob threshold, I switched my business travel, and just spent some vaca nights at a couple of my favorite Hyatts. They don't have enough FS hotels where I go to warrant me putting up with the rest of their options in my travels. For those of you that have business travel where they have a FS presence, I envy you.
Ceres is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:50 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I assume most Hyatts will be doling out far fewer complimentary breakfasts today.
I don't know... Anyone care to speculate on how much (if any, after the numerous "please don't go" globalist promos of late) globalist numbers have decreased as of today?
ClarkGriswold is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 2:14 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH
Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,011
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I think I've nearly completed the mental transition and am no longer searching Hyatt properties for future travel.
Me too. I "celebrated" yesterday by booking a bunch of Hilton rooms.
nineworldseries is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 2:22 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: berkeley, Ca, USA
Programs: ex-Hyatt Diamond soon to ex-globalist, Alaska MVP gold, Marriott Gold,Hilton Diamond, Ex UA 1P
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Me too. I "celebrated" yesterday by booking a bunch of Hilton rooms.
Same here, reserved some Fairmont rooms and canceled my hyatt Kauai reservation!
wilma is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 3:08 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: DTW
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Platinum, Delta Platinum, Turkish Elite
Posts: 140
I'm still going strong! I'm trying to stay at 55 nights (have 62 booked for this year). I feel like unless i can hit 70 to get the extra award, 55 is the sweet spot. Anything else can go to Hilton or someone.
shakim is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 7:09 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: BAGold,AA3MMPlat,UA1MMGold,FBSilver,MarriottAmb,AccorPlat,HHGold,ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
Posts: 4,359
I booked a W hotel and bought SPG points yesterday.
rfrost is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 10:29 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,158
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold View Post
I don't know... Anyone care to speculate on how much (if any, after the numerous "please don't go" globalist promos of late) globalist numbers have decreased as of today?
I'm at a resort property now, March 1. Last year, same time, the club was an absolute zoo. Today, there were between two and three other guests at any point in time. Predictably, the offerings also plummeted. Last year it was great (for a club). Today, the apps and desserts -- no more actual food -- was Sheraton-level.

For the FT'ers who thought there would be room to spread out beginning March 1, 2018, you were right. There's just little reason to go other than grabbing a drink.

All in all, I'd estimate their food costs dropped by at least 95%, and labor costs by 80%. But at resort level room rates, I can't help but think this is all penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Friday, March 2, picked up some, but not much. For a weekend, should have been far stronger. The food was almost acceptable in the morning, but still dreadful at night. It is what it is, so I will no longer give much value to the club here in choosing properties.

Last edited by JackE; Mar 2, 18 at 11:58 pm
JackE is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 1:39 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 619
After complaining about new rule. I ended 2017 with exact 60 night.

This year I am already on my way to 55.

I still Love hyatt
krispykrme is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: