San Jose, CA Overnight Stopover

Old Feb 16, 18, 8:08 am
Original Poster

San Jose, CA Overnight Stopover

This summer we will be flying home from from Maui with an overnight stopover at SJC. Flight lands at 10pm in San Jose and the flight the next day departs around 2:30pm. Looking for a Hyatt hotel to book with points that includes a free airport shuttle. Which one is the best?
Old Feb 16, 18, 8:41 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jenn0625 View Post
This summer we will be flying home from from Maui with an overnight stopover at SJC. Flight lands at 10pm in San Jose and the flight the next day departs around 2:30pm. Looking for a Hyatt hotel to book with points that includes a free airport shuttle. Which one is the best?
I think the 2 Hyatt Houses (Santa Clara and San Jose/Silicon Valley) are the only nearby properties that offer an airport shuttle. Both are fine if you just need a place to sleep.
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Both San Jose Hyatt Place and Santa Clara Hyatt Regency are about 5 miles away from SJC, both DO NOT have free airport shuttles service. If you are using points during Monday to Friday stay will be difficult to stay at HRSC.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 10:36 pm

uber to/from HR SC is not expensive.

-David
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
And do not stay at HP San Jose/Downtown. Awful property.
Jenn0625 and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Feb 17, 18, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post

-David
A tiny fraction of the cost of two people visiting Hawaii.
Old Feb 18, 18, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
One vote for HR SC. Stayed there for a night when I saw an Oregon/Cal football game at Levi's Stadium. Very close to airport, and Uber/cab won't be expensive. Hotel is solid for just one night. Nothing luxurious or special but it's fine for your needs. Have fun.
Old Feb 19, 18, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

-David
And it you want an even cheaper way to get there, take the free VTA bus to the light rail station (NOT to the train station) and get on a light rail tram going to Mountain View. It has a stop right next to the hotel.
serfty likes this.
Old Feb 19, 18, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 75K, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
And it you want an even cheaper way to get there, take the free VTA bus to the light rail station (NOT to the train station) and get on a light rail tram going to Mountain View. It has a stop right next to the hotel.
i have done this and it took me over an hour to get to the HRSC with the transfer, waiting for transfer, and walking. could be fun if you have time and light luggage but really not convenient ....
Old Feb 19, 18, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vudoosj View Post
i have done this and it took me over an hour to get to the HRSC with the transfer, waiting for transfer, and walking. could be fun if you have time and light luggage but really not convenient ....
flight lands at 10:40pm and we will be a family of 4 with luggage so probably not a good route for us
Old Feb 19, 18, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Uber, or lyft.... And contact the hotel, advise them you will be late arrival, with kids, they will do what they can to take care of you! Staff there is great
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 18, 6:46 pm

flight lands at 10:40pm and we will be a family of 4 with luggage so probably not a good route for us
So you will probably need an Uber XL, which kind of changes the economics a bit. Car rental might be equivalent at that point at least price-wise?

Is it weekend (Thurs - Sun night) or mid-week?

You might want to check out the Residence Inn or Springhill Suites, 2 Marriott properties in the same building with a shuttle, very close to the airport. They are both decent but overpriced mid-week and cat 6.

There's also a Doubletree (Hilton) nearby with a shuttle.

My preferred option would still be the HRSC, but if it's midweek, I'll consider other options and keep an eye on HRSCs pricing.

-David
Old Feb 19, 18, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

So you will probably need an Uber XL, which kind of changes the economics a bit. Car rental might be equivalent at that point at least price-wise?

Is it weekend (Thurs - Sun night) or mid-week?

You might want to check out the Residence Inn or Springhill Suites, 2 Marriott properties in the same building with a shuttle, very close to the airport. They are both decent but overpriced mid-week and cat 6.

There's also a Doubletree (Hilton) nearby with a shuttle.

My preferred option would still be the HRSC, but if it's midweek, I'll consider other options and keep an eye on HRSCs pricing.

-David
thank you. It will be a weekend night. We have Hilton points and Hyatt point and will be doing an overnight stay pre Hawaii at LAX and one post night Hawaii stay in San Jose so trying to figure out which brand is best to use for which night surrounding our trip. We only have the status that comes with the chase Hyatt card for Hyatt, but diamond status with Hilton. But enough points to cover one night each with each brand, if that makes sense? Trying to make the travel portions of the trip at a min so most of the vacation monies can be spent in Hawaii, so that is why we are inclined to looking for point only nights with free shuttle.
Old Feb 19, 18, 10:19 pm

Most weekend nights are very affordable at all the properties in that area unless there’s a special event.
Hopefully you now have enough info to check it out yourself with your actual dates

Jenn0625 likes this.