Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Q1.5 2018 promotion Morepoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Q1.5 2018 promotion Morepoints

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
No, as the More Points bonus terms require people to choose Hyatt points to get the More Points bonus. But you can get the More Points and the 1,000 AA miles, as that bonus doesn’t require one to choose miles.

In other words, if you choose Hyatt points, you get the base points, the More Points bonus, and the 1,000 AA miles bonus. If you choose miles, you get the 500 miles plus the 1,000 AA miles.

Make sense- thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:52 pm
Chy

Got 500 points back as soon as the stay posted at a Hyatt Place paid with points.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You obviously don't quite understand the difference in value between Hilton points and Hyatt points. 4K per stay with Hilton - assuming you are doing multiples of 5 stays - yet you need 50-95K to get a free night anywhere decent.

1K per night with Hyatt, yet you need 12-25K for a decent free night, 30K for the very top end.

"Pales in comparison"... exactly... you reach a free night much faster with Hyatt, unless you are hotel hopping every night in a desperate attempt to generate Hilton stays.
No I do. You need to do the math to see it work out. Compare a $200 stay that comes to $220 after taxes.

Hilton:
2000 Base points
1000 My way points
1000 50% bonus points
1000 Diamond bonus
4000 promo bonus (2k per stay plus bonus 2k in multiples of 5)
500 Amex cobrand bonus
2640 bonus points via Amex Ascend (3080 with Aspire)
HH total = 12,140 HH points (12580 with aspire)

Hyatt:
1000 base points
300 Globalist bonus
1000 bonus promo
660 for Chase Hyatt
Hyatt total = 2960 points

Most bloggers and even FT-ers value HH points in the 0.5-0.6 cpm (or more accurately cpp) and Hyatt at 1.25-1.5. That’s max around 3x (per your example 95k VS 30k is 3.2x, not the 4.3x as seen above.

So I guess yes maybe I shouldn’t have used the phrase pales in comparison, but still my point is the Hilton promo is much better than the Hyatt. I’m not even factoring in coverage, where I’d need to stay at a HR, GH, PH, Andaz, etc to get the 1K Hyatt bonus. That’s a lot more limited than finding a Waldorf, Conrad, Hilton, Doubletree, or Embassy for the 1K my way. And the Holton promo is 4K even st Hampton Inns.

Look don’t get me wrong, I am not a Hyatt hater. I’m just pointing out that on a points and free night basis right now the Hilton promo is better than Hyatt’s. And keep in mind that most of the time Hyatt doesn’t even have a promo. One might think they would want/need to up the ante to remain competitive especially given their smaller footprint. Clearly Hyatt thinks otherwise but the recent givebacks have only proven that they miscalculated and probably are continuing to do so.

Last edited by mnredfox; Feb 27, 2018 at 12:24 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I'm really happy to hear that people are reporting getting the per night bonus points for every night of a stay checking out after Feb 15, since we just completed a Feb 12-25 stay, but I would have much preferred double pts rather than 1,000/night.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:00 am

No, as the More Points bonus terms require people to choose Hyatt points to get the More Points bonus. But you can get the More Points and the 1,000 AA miles, as that bonus doesn’t require one to choose miles.

In other words, if you choose Hyatt points, you get the base points, the More Points bonus, and the 1,000 AA miles bonus. If you choose miles, you get the 500 miles plus the 1,000 AA miles.
The Q&A for the promo seems to say you get the bonus pts even if you choose miles:

13. Can I choose miles for my stay and earn Bonus Points for qualifying nights during the promotion?
Yes, you can choose to earn either Base Points or miles for each qualifying night in order to earn Bonus Points. The offer is fulfilled with Bonus Points.

(BTW, thank you for answering my question in the other thread, which I will let fade now that I've found this one.)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox

No I do. You need to do the math to see it work out. Compare a $200 stay that comes to $220 after taxes.

Hilton:
2000 Base points
1000 My way points
1000 50% bonus points
1000 Diamond bonus
4000 promo bonus (2k per stay plus bonus 2k in multiples of 5)
500 Amex cobrand bonus
2640 bonus points via Amex Ascend (3080 with Aspire)
HH total = 12,140 HH points (12580 with aspire)

Hyatt:
1000 base points
300 Globalist bonus
1000 bonus promo
660 for Chase Hyatt
Hyatt total = 2960 points

Most bloggers and even FT-ers value HH points in the 0.5-0.6 cpm (or more accurately cpp) and Hyatt at 1.25-1.5. That’s max around 3x (per your example 95k VS 30k is 3.2x, not the 4.3x as seen above.

So I guess yes maybe I shouldn’t have used the phrase pales in comparison, but still my point is the Hilton promo is much better than the Hyatt. I’m not even factoring in coverage, where I’d need to stay at a HR, GH, PH, Andaz, etc to get the 1K Hyatt bonus. That’s a lot more limited than finding a Waldorf, Conrad, Hilton, Doubletree, or Embassy for the 1K my way. And the Holton promo is 4K even st Hampton Inns.

Look don’t get me wrong, I am not a Hyatt hater. I’m just pointing out that on a points and free night basis right now the Hilton promo is better than Hyatt’s. And keep in mind that most of the time Hyatt doesn’t even have a promo. One might think they would want/need to up the ante to remain competitive especially given their smaller footprint. Clearly Hyatt thinks otherwise but the recent givebacks have only proven that they miscalculated and probably are continuing to do so.

Your math is OK, except only two out of your eleven line items have anything to do with promotions.

And we could sit here arguing all day about points value. I happen to value Hyatt points closer to 2 cents, because I know I'll be in a suite 4 weeks a year and at least a deluxe room anywhere outside the US. As a HH Diamond you might get an "executive room" but I've never found those to be much different from regular rooms. A suite at a Hilton? Yeah right... once in a blue moon. Maybe if I'm in Asia...

But for me it comes down to the fact that I will stay at a Hyatt regardless, and am happy to receive bonus points whenever they run a promo. I will ONLY stay at a Hilton or IHG hotel if the promo is lucrative enough. For the people out there who don't care where they stay, but simply want to maximise their rebate via points, especially when spending other people's money... Hyatt is suggesting you aren't a target customer and time will tell whether they are actually wrong about that...
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The Q&A for the promo seems to say you get the bonus pts even if you choose miles:

13. Can I choose miles for my stay and earn Bonus Points for qualifying nights during the promotion?
Yes, you can choose to earn either Base Points or miles for each qualifying night in order to earn Bonus Points. The offer is fulfilled with Bonus Points.
This is odd. The T&C include this:

“You must provide your World of Hyatt membership number at the time of check-in and choose World of Hyatt points for each stay.”

Is that from the More Points FAQs or the AA promo FAQs?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The above analysis with Hilton was nice -- but it is based on a 1 night-stay and is also based on hitting on an exact factor of 5 stays in a way (for the 10,000 bonus points per 5 stays).
These assumptions may apply to you, but it also may not. For me, I may have 20 nights during the promo period, but only 5 stays. That makes a big difference in promo valuation between the two. I also don't have Hilton status (not even sure I am registered with them), so the other bonus pts don't apply, and why chase Hilton status and sink all those costs just for maybe a small leg up on such a bonus offer?

Anyways, it seems like Marriot has introduced their response with 'mega bonus' of 2000 pts per STAY starting on your second Stay with 3,000 pts for STAY on weekends. With Marriott points worth less than half of Hyatt's, I don't see the appeal of the promo, and it is limited for stays until mid April so it isn't real long. Could be better than Hyatt's if you have lots of 1 night weekend stays and enough stays that burning your first stay promo free is made up?? Beats me, but I for one am glad most of Hyatt's promos are night based -- I'd feel continuously underappreciated if my 7 or 8 day stays were being treated the same as 1 night stays.

Last edited by MarkOK; Feb 27, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:36 pm

This is odd. The T&C include this:

“You must provide your World of Hyatt membership number at the time of check-in and choose World of Hyatt points for each stay.”

Is that from the More Points FAQs or the AA promo FAQs?
It is from the More Points FAQ, so as you say, the discrepancy in info is quite strange.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Your math is OK, except only two out of your eleven line items have anything to do with promotions.

And we could sit here arguing all day about points value. I happen to value Hyatt points closer to 2 cents, because I know I'll be in a suite 4 weeks a year and at least a deluxe room anywhere outside the US. As a HH Diamond you might get an "executive room" but I've never found those to be much different from regular rooms. A suite at a Hilton? Yeah right... once in a blue moon. Maybe if I'm in Asia...

But for me it comes down to the fact that I will stay at a Hyatt regardless, and am happy to receive bonus points whenever they run a promo. I will ONLY stay at a Hilton or IHG hotel if the promo is lucrative enough. For the people out there who don't care where they stay, but simply want to maximise their rebate via points, especially when spending other people's money... Hyatt is suggesting you aren't a target customer and time will tell whether they are actually wrong about that...
Well I always look at how it all figures out as that is what matters to me. If you want to look at promos then yes, the comparison is Hyatt 1K vs Hilton 4K per night, which is close to the overall ratio I showed. I still don’t think Hyatt has a 4X value vs Hilton but to each their own.

Despite getting several suite UG’s at Hilton’s and DT’s recently, I will agree with you that for the most part that upgrades at Hyatt’s have been more frequent and legitimate. Hilton suite upgrades are typically nonexistent and are limited to “high floor” upgrades. Problem once again is that HH and HP don’t count for upgrade and that’s where you find most Hyatt properties for most folks.

Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Lots

Why would you think that Hyatt cares whether a guest is spending their own money or other people’s money? I know it’s some weird type of badge of honor on these forums to brag about earning points out of one’s own funds and to look down on folks who have to travel for work but I would imagine Hyatt (and any other hotel) doesn’t really care about who is funding stays, only that they get the occupancy.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD

Why would you think that Hyatt cares whether a guest is spending their own money or other people’s money? I know it’s some weird type of badge of honor on these forums to brag about earning points out of one’s own funds and to look down on folks who have to travel for work but I would imagine Hyatt (and any other hotel) doesn’t really care about who is funding stays, only that they get the occupancy.
While of course hotels do not really care where the money comes from, business travellers are usually not free to lengthen their stay at whim and have no choice in destination, and there are also a good number of corporate travellers who have restricted options in their choice of hotel chain. Leisure travellers have complete discretion as to where, when, and how long to stay. This is a key difference between guests staying on their own dime and those spending other people's money that I think Hyatt should take into consideration in their promos.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by IggySD

The rates for Double Your Points are clearly designed for travelers spending OPM.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:16 am

How long are these pts generally taking to post? Should I assume that it will take longer for them to post since I registered after I had actually completed the stay?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
How long are these pts generally taking to post? Should I assume that it will take longer for them to post since I registered after I had actually completed the stay?
In my case, they have posted along with everything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.