Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Racing to.... the bottom. Will someone save Hyatt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I moved to Hyatt from SPG (platinum - self-funded travel) because Hyatt is/WAS simply better. Better service, better consistency, better perks, better food, and (usually) better facilities. The fact that they are/WERE better justified the smaller number of hotels, less convenient locations, and (sometimes) higher prices.

For me, quality and overall value trumped convenience and scope. Yet, sadly, I feel things are changing and management feels NO need to be any better than the competition. But if they are no longer any better than SPG/Marriott, then why would any of us choose Hyatt over SPG/Marriott? I hope someone in Chicago realizes that one of Hyatt's biggest competitive advantages is/WAS simply being better.

For example, at the Hyatt Regency San Antonio over the past year or so they have....

1. Stopped putting water bottles in the rooms and offered up Chuck E Cheese style tickets you could exchange for a bottle of water at the gift shop. Thankfully they reversed this policy shortly after implementing it.

2. Removed shower gel from the rooms. Then they put it back.

3. Reduced the size of the Kenet MD products. Still the tiny bottles.

4. Eliminated full service room service for breakfast, replacing it with fast food-type items (burritos, mcmuffins, etc) delivered "take out" style in a paper/plastic bag, plastic utensils, etc. I know Hyatt Centric's are doing this, too.. (which sucks) but at least the food is "full service" and not fast food. As an aside, they push this as eco-friendly, but how can that be when everything gets thrown away after you eat? Isn't washing a plate more eco-friendly than throwing one away? Anyway...

5. Eliminated the **entire menu** in the restaurant for breakfast - now you can ONLY order the buffet. No more made to order full breakfasts at this hotel, period. Forget Eggs Benedict, it's not happening here anymore. On the plus side for them, now they need fewer cooks and fewer servers.

There still is a wonderful Hyatt staff, and it's a beautiful facility in a great location. Yet the staff IS obviously demoralized by the drip drip drip of downgrades. I am told these are "corporate" and "senior leadership" decisions.

At other Hyatt's we've seen some similar downgrades, not to mention the huge downgrade of the entire WOH program. I know most only care about points but we loved the check in amenity, and the nightly turn down service that both got eliminated with WOH. These little things made Hyatt better... and special.

I know much is "under review" at Hyatt and changes are underway. I also know of one other major hospitality company that went through a similar cycle years ago where they tried to cut costs everywhere, only to realize they made more money being a premium brand with a massive loyalty advantage. I hope Hyatt realizes the same thing...
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Getting popcorn ready. These responses should be fun (and predictable).
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:04 pm

never been more pleased with Hyatt in 10 years than now

really the only matter I now want sorted is TSU expiration at end of membership year

ryandc99 and Bellroy001 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Colin
never been more pleased with Hyatt in 10 years than now

really the only matter I now want sorted is TSU expiration at end of membership year

How is the service better?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Getting popcorn ready. These responses should be fun (and predictable).
You may be disappointed. Interest in Hyatt is waning on this board and likely more so after February 28th.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I've noticed very little change at my Asian Hyatts.
rwm818 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ha.

I was a Hyatt employee way back in the 1980s.

This "decline" has been going on . . . always. Everything is relative. Hyatt pretty much invented turn-down service with chocolates on the pillows. That ended decades ago. Remember also that most poperties are not owned by corporate, and are subject to their owners' individual commitment level to profit. I think the HR San Antonio used to be owned by Hunt Oil?

Anyhow, I feel your pain, but it's an old familiar song from where I stand.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Why is the assumption that the HR San Antonio value engineering is coming from Chicago? It sounds to me like whatever LLC owns this property is trying to juice its numbers in any way possible in so much as it is permissible. It sounds like you would like brand standards enforced to a higher level than Hyatt corporate is willing to do. I don’t think you’ll find better behavior from the bottom 10% of full service Marriotts or Hiltons.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
To me, their brg program is the main reason why i gave up on them.
bworrell, UAuhoh, ZBigFam and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Comparing your experience at a random Hyatt in San Antonio with the whole program is simple fallacy.
Give at least 5 anecdotal experience from both programs to even begin a comparison. I am not defending Hyatt (I have decamped to Marriot anyway), but Hyatt treats its elites well at most properties (qualifier = properties outside the North America). A comparison at flagship properties (in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, Delhi, Maldives, London, Paris, Milan, Cape Town, Cairo, Rio, Lima etc,.) would result in an even result, if not slightly better for Hyatt.
But, the overall experiences dont differ much for each chain's elites. Of course, it depends on what you (as the elite) values the most.
Late check out? Lounge access? Upgrades? Waived auxiliary fees? Guaranteed last minute cash availability?

This discussion warranties some popcorn for the spectators (like me), but also, is indeed a poor use of time.

Just define what you (as the elite) values the most, chose wisely, and be loyal to the chain. What else can we hope for anyway?
JackE likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stvr
Why is the assumption that the HR San Antonio value engineering is coming from Chicago? It sounds to me like whatever LLC owns this property is trying to juice its numbers in any way possible in so much as it is permissible. It sounds like you would like brand standards enforced to a higher level than Hyatt corporate is willing to do. I don’t think you’ll find better behavior from the bottom 10% of full service Marriotts or Hiltons.
I've confirmed from talking to staff here (that ARE Hyatt employees) that these changes are coming "from high up in Hyatt." We have also seen similar changes at other properties - San Antonio is a personal favorite hence the examples.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Comparing your experience at a random Hyatt in San Antonio with the whole program is simple fallacy.
Give at least 5 anecdotal experience from both programs to even begin a comparison. I am not defending Hyatt (I have decamped to Marriot anyway), but Hyatt treats its elites well at most properties (qualifier = properties outside the North America). A comparison at flagship properties (in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, Delhi, Maldives, London, Paris, Milan, Cape Town, Cairo, Rio, Lima etc,.) would result in an even result, if not slightly better for Hyatt.
But, the overall experiences dont differ much for each chain's elites. Of course, it depends on what you (as the elite) values the most.
Late check out? Lounge access? Upgrades? Waived auxiliary fees? Guaranteed last minute cash availability?

This discussion warranties some popcorn for the spectators (like me), but also, is indeed a poor use of time.

Just define what you (as the elite) values the most, chose wisely, and be loyal to the chain. What else can we hope for anyway?
As customers we can make our voices heard and vote with our wallets. This causes change in companies ALL THE TIME. We've already seen some positive changes in WOH...

Another example (corporate run): Hyatt Regency Lake Washington. Gorgeous (new) facility, but a club lounge with literally no food (see lots of other reports). Then there's all the Centric's that have basically given up on room service.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
I am not defending Hyatt (I have decamped to Marriott anyway), but Hyatt treats its elites well at most properties (qualifier = properties outside the North America).
Same boat, and I agree. Don't really see Hyatt itself in decline. Hilton led the charge eliminating room service at large convention properties, and there are now Marriotts that are following a similar approach. I'm not a fan, but the fact is that hotels lose money on room service.

There are certain Hyatt properties that treat elites poorly, and those did leave a bad taste in my mouth. But there are quite a few properties where I was treated fabulously (Vienna, Zurich, Mayakoba . . . .).

Overall Marriott/SPG works better for me and I don't regret the switch at all. But Hyatt is still a good value proposition for those who can do 60 nights given the limited footprint, don't mind dealing with the award gaming, maddeningly inconsistent customer service, and occasionally hostile properties, and can stomach the appalling "WoH" branding and marketing.
moulder3 and markko like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
3. Reduced the size of the Kenet MD products. Still the tiny bottles.
Reminds me of that old Catskills resort joke: The food here is awful, and the portions are so small!
LIH Prem and dsquared37 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Pickles
Reminds me of that old Catskills resort joke: The food here is awful, and the portions are so small!
Should be our FT motto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.