Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Racing to.... the bottom. Will someone save Hyatt?

Racing to.... the bottom. Will someone save Hyatt?

Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
Haven't noticed any cost cutting at Napa, Carmel, Tahoe, Mayakoba, Andaz SD, Churchill.

I save over $2000/yr now by not paying resort fees on ~50 resort nights per year, including always waived on a 2nd room I often book.

I will save a few thousand more this year with resort nights now counting as qualifying & being TSU eligible.
In the past, I have always anxiously sought out P+C at the most desirable properties and often during peak times.
No more now. When rates are good, I use Citi 4th. When rates are high, I'll book full points always for Cat7 and full points for Cat 1 to Cat6 when P+C not available.
Good for you in learning how to milk the system. Perhaps this is part of the reason why Hyatt can no longer afford to run full service restaurants at 4 star properties. For some of us, the experience is more important. I'd rather pay resort fees (a few times per year) and still receive welcome amenities at every property, but to each their own.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:09 am

*his own
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:59 am

Ah the most legitimizing of all arguments... Hyatt is garbage now because all the rest of you aren't spending tons of unnecessary money on stuff at the hotels so those of us super rollers can't enjoy true luxury.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paolo64

My Hyatt experience in 2017 was great : Vienna, Berlin, Hamburg, London ( Churchill and Andaz)’, Bangkok ( Park and Grand), Moscow, Paris. Not even the vaguest hint of any decline in standards. But when I decided I’d had enough of the WOH BS ( ie, the day they decided to fast-track CC holders, a card unavailable to me) I cancelled reservations in NYC and a couple of other cities and gave up.
In future I’ll stay at some Hyatts by choice rather than as part of WOH, but probably only 8-10 per year ( cf 40 in a ‘normal’ year),

So what you are really saying is that the flagship international properties are behaving like..... flagship international properties. My points pertain to the mainstream (not bottom 10%) domestic properties. These are the ones where I have observed cutbacks with examples including HR San Antonio, HR Lake Washington, and Park Hyatt New York.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antonius66
Ah the most legitimizing of all arguments... Hyatt is garbage now because all the rest of you aren't spending tons of unnecessary money on stuff at the hotels so those of us super rollers can't enjoy true luxury.
I've never said Hyatt is garbage. Far from it. What I am saying is that Hyatt is cutting costs in such a way that the brand is being degraded, particularly at domestic 3-4 star properties, but also at the Park Hyatt New York. This is for all guests, and not just elites. As an investor myself, I am arguing this is the wrong path. If you agree great, make your voice known as, I KNOW Hyatt corporate is reading this thread. My point is that Hyatt must be better than SPG/Marriott in order to justify the extra effort needed to be loyal to them - not simply "as good."
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Quality Control--Or Lack Thereof

I've been staying at Hyatt properties more since getting the Chase card two years ago. I've been pleased at the ability to redeem World of Hyatt points at reasonable levels (unlike Hilton), especially at Hyatt Place locations. What has bothered me, though, is the lack of quality control issues across the brand. No one seems to be checking up on the management companies running the properties. For example, at the ostensibly recently renovated Hyatt Regency in Rochester, NY, when I stayed there at the end of December, the expansive lobby was devoid of heat, as was my room, for the most part. There was no newspaper to be found in the morning. Same went for the valet attendant, who had left to take someone from the airport. Breakfasts at Hyatt Place locations popular with families are often a debacle. Long lines for middling food while you have to be aggressive or creative about finding a place to sit. How is it that nobody figured out the need for an orderly flow in the breakfast room? And why does the staff conveniently disappear when dishes need to be cleared? This is supposed to be a premium brand, but too often it acts like anything but.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by murrayhill
I've been staying at Hyatt properties more since getting the Chase card two years ago. I've been pleased at the ability to redeem World of Hyatt points at reasonable levels (unlike Hilton), especially at Hyatt Place locations. What has bothered me, though, is the lack of quality control issues across the brand. No one seems to be checking up on the management companies running the properties. For example, at the ostensibly recently renovated Hyatt Regency in Rochester, NY, when I stayed there at the end of December, the expansive lobby was devoid of heat, as was my room, for the most part. There was no newspaper to be found in the morning. Same went for the valet attendant, who had left to take someone from the airport. Breakfasts at Hyatt Place locations popular with families are often a debacle. Long lines for middling food while you have to be aggressive or creative about finding a place to sit. How is it that nobody figured out the need for an orderly flow in the breakfast room? And why does the staff conveniently disappear when dishes need to be cleared? This is supposed to be a premium brand, but too often it acts like anything but.
I think it's the mid-level Hyatt Regency's where most of the cuts are happening... and for the Hyatt Place it's important to remember that this truly is a value chain and when you compare them to their peers (like Fairfield Inn, or Holiday Inn Express) most do compare favorably. To me this is what Hyatt is all about - being just a bit better than their peers in the respective category - and I hate to see them modify this winning formula.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
So what you are really saying is that the flagship international properties are behaving like..... flagship international properties. My points pertain to the mainstream (not bottom 10%) domestic properties. These are the ones where I have observed cutbacks with examples including HR San Antonio, HR Lake Washington, and Park Hyatt New York.
Yes, point taken.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
I think it's the mid-level Hyatt Regency's where most of the cuts are happening... and for the Hyatt Place it's important to remember that this truly is a value chain and when you compare them to their peers (like Fairfield Inn, or Holiday Inn Express) most do compare favorably. To me this is what Hyatt is all about - being just a bit better than their peers in the respective category - and I hate to see them modify this winning formula.
The thing is, the Rochester property just underwent a $16 million renovation. It looks nicer, certainly. There's now a Morton's on the street level as well as a Starbucks. The rooms are more handsomely appointed. But the service issues and the severe lack of concern about the lack of heat on a December day when the mercury topped out at 17 degrees is truly appalling. I've had a better experience at the Hilton Garden Inn down the street, which is where I'll probably stay next time, on the full-me-twice-shame-on-me theory. It shouldn't be thus.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Wife is globalist and we've done a ton of stays in various properties over the past couple of years. Some great some awful. I'm diamond at Hilton. Overall my Hilton experience is better. They promise less and over deliver. Hyatt consistently fails to deliver. And she was a 80 night paid last year (not counting the award and promo nights) so in theory they should care...
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I've found myself at a few HP's this past year, and I have to say IMO they are improving except for breakfast.
solewalker likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I generally find Hyatt to be the strongest and most consistent of the hotel chains at all levels. I do think some things could change, but generally I am quite pleased whenever I stay at a Hyatt.
59Impala and Blootie Patootie like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Hyatt pretty much invented turn-down service with chocolates on the pillows. That ended decades ago.
I have gotten this at several hyatts in the past year. Unfortunately I can't remember which ones.

I was at the HR Maui last weekend and they left a postcard featuring local wildlife on the pillow with the turndown service. A different one every night so I collected 3 of them. Honestly the postcard probably costs more than a chocolate (it was a nice postcard). I'd still rather have the chocolate though.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Looks like Hyatt is rising to the top since Marriott got Bonvoyed.
UA-NYC, ginmqi, solewalker and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:05 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
never been more pleased with Hyatt in 10 years than now

really the only matter I now want sorted is TSU expiration at end of membership year

Couldn't agree more. Having both Marriott Platinum and Hyatt Globalist, the striking differences between the chains in simple customer service requests is striking. You can solve most matters via the Hyatt Twitter team.. Marriott is like impossible!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.