Could Hyatt be bought out?

Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Could Hyatt be bought out?

Given with what happened with SPG being taken over by Marriott is it a possibility? It won't be by Marriott anytime soon but another hotel group could. SPG is bigger than Hyatt, elites fleeing because of ridiculous status requirements, lack of properties. Other hotel mergers are happening too. What do you think?
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
The way Hyatt is acting certainly makes it seem like something is going on. Hyatt Gold Passport was about creating loyalty and brand differentiation, but WOH seems like it is running on autopilot and without any actual commitment to brand. Maybe that means they are coasting towards a buyout.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Katlor
The way Hyatt is acting certainly makes it seem like something is going on. Hyatt Gold Passport was about creating loyalty and brand differentiation, but WOH seems like it is running on autopilot and without any actual commitment to brand. Maybe that means they are coasting towards a buyout.
I’ve always felt WOH was just a stopgap “program” designed to get rid of some of the long standing GP benefits before a merger or acquisition happens. When you look at how huge the competition is, with Accor/Fairmont/Raffles, Starwood/Ritz-Carlton/Marriott, etc... it seems likely that something will happen.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I’ve always felt WOH was just a stopgap “program” designed to get rid of some of the long standing GP benefits before a merger or acquisition happens. When you look at how huge the competition is, with Accor/Fairmont/Raffles, Starwood/Ritz-Carlton/Marriott, etc... it seems likely that something will happen.
I agree. I think the changes were meant to boost numbers for a potential buyout, and if that doesn't happen in the near future I expect the program will go through another big change. But I can't imagine that change would happen until the joint SPG/Marriott program is announced and they know what they need to compete against.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I agree. I think the changes were meant to boost numbers for a potential buyout, and if that doesn't happen in the near future I expect the program will go through another big change. But I can't imagine that change would happen until the joint SPG/Marriott program is announced and they know what they need to compete against.
Yes probably correct. Also because my preference Hyatt merges with IHG (that is if a big merger has to take place) Hyatt will probably merge with Hilton. If the latter at least we will loose either Honors or WoH which may be at least one big positive outcome?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
This comes up frequently...

Unless every member of the Pritzker family wants to cash out, it's unlikely that a larger hotel chain can buy Hyatt.

Remember that Hyatt wanted to buy SPG, but maintaining family control was a stumbling block.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
While we are all speculating, which is fairly useless, I don't know why Hyatt would overhaul its loyalty program in advance of a buyout, when if it was going to be bought out, its program would be re-overhauled anyways. I think it more likely that Hyatt invested time, energy, and risk into an overhaul and rebranding towards 'lifestyle', because after the SPG debacle, they know they are going to need to better position themselves to compete in the long-run as a smaller brand against a consolidating industry (and by compete, it's only about increasing profit, not about showering awards on more marginal customers). Is it working for them? Maybe, maybe not, that too is something we speculate about with scant facts/evidence.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
This comes up frequently...

Unless every member of the Pritzker family wants to cash out, it's unlikely that a larger hotel chain can buy Hyatt.

Remember that Hyatt wanted to buy SPG, but maintaining family control was a stumbling block.
+1.^ Pritzkers didn't even want to bring Hyatt public until they were forced by lawsuit. They prefer to remain as a privately hold family company.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:59 am

Real frigging shame they did too

Last edited by antonius66; Feb 9, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkOK
While we are all speculating, which is fairly useless, I don't know why Hyatt would overhaul its loyalty program in advance of a buyout, when if it was going to be bought out, its program would be re-overhauled anyways. I think it more likely that Hyatt invested time, energy, and risk into an overhaul and rebranding towards 'lifestyle', because after the SPG debacle, they know they are going to need to better position themselves to compete in the long-run as a smaller brand against a consolidating industry (and by compete, it's only about increasing profit, not about showering awards on more marginal customers). Is it working for them? Maybe, maybe not, that too is something we speculate about with scant facts/evidence.
Exactly. There is so many opinions presented as fact on here. No one is fleeing. There is no doom and gloom.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I totally agree. I also think that WoH is designed to soften the blow that will inevitably come when there is a merger or acquisition. I hate to say it, but I think the days of incredibly rewarding programs such as Gold Passport and SPG as we have known them are probably over. WoH is designed to preemptively deal with that problem to make Hyatt more attractive to potential suitors, and to “soft land” Hyatt guests as they transition to a program that will undoubtedly be less exciting than Gold Passport was.
notquiteaff and Brendan like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
To preemptively soft land its loyalty program members, and to ensure that it is broadly compatible with other hotel chains as potential suitors. That’s why WoH is an exceedingly bland point scheme. Even the graphics used look temporary, as if people didn’t put in a lot of effort because they knew major changes are ahead. That is true whether or not Hyatt continues to exist as a stand alone company, they aren’t going to roll out anything new until they see what they have to compete against. SPG/Marriott are the main competition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.