Search

Award games- Andaz Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: RIP
Award games- Andaz Maui

Wanted to book 4 award nights at Andaz Maui, but all showed non available. Despite showing queens available for cash but they had some view in the description. This is what looks to be the standard room when checking a handful dates Also if I checked for 10 (not less) nights queen beds was available for points. Plan was to book this, and call in to amend, but not enough points on acct.

After some games checking wrong hotel, it was said no awards possible. After checking two systems. Agent called hotel, and still no awards. She also claimed the last room for revenue was sold during the process. Eventually she agreed 10 nights were possible. But I didnt have enough points. Not possible to overdraft with more than 1K. No option to issue some temp goodwill points to deduct later. Had to cancel a future 7 night at PH Maldives, but with the risk of room disappearing she managed to hold a new res there. Cancelled original MLE, booked 10 nights Maui, amended to 4 nights, and finally booked the held res at MLE.

Score!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:51 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by skaya
Eventually she agreed 10 nights were possible. But I didnt have enough points. Not possible to overdraft with more than 1K. No option to issue some temp goodwill points to deduct later. Had to cancel a future 7 night at PH Maldives, but with the risk of room disappearing she managed to hold a new res there. Cancelled original MLE, booked 10 nights Maui, amended to 4 nights, and finally booked the held res at MLE.

Score!
Congrats on the ingenious workaround and on the score. Why oh why does Hyatt make people jump through hoops like this?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Congrats on the ingenious workaround and on the score. Why oh why does Hyatt make people jump through hoops like this?
Impressive travel hack and great job by the agent.

But Hyatt is hardly unique in having hotels that impose minimum stay restrictions, play games with standard room inventory, etc. I know people have their heart's set on specific hotels sometimes, but the only way to have this behaviour change is: 1. the hotel chain paying more to popular hotels (yeah right!) or 2. moving your business to other hotels that don't play such games.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Love the Andaz Maui, but it's ridiculous. I've stayed 6-7 times with some paid stays and some points. They have availability for 10 nights, but not 4 during the same time. Reached out and hotel told me to contact Hyatt. Contact My Hyatt Concierge and they said no awards available. This is where SPG has Hyatt beat - fewer games and ability to work around hotel-specific restrictions.

Last edited by Duke777; Jan 27, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:23 pm

It’s a big joke and Hyatt should not allow the hotel to play games. It would be great if woh would chime in and give their two cents.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by slm9555
It’s a big joke and Hyatt should not allow the hotel to play games.
It's a Hyatt corporate owned property.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a Hyatt corporate owned property.
Yes and it tells you a lot about how Hyatt views its own loyalty program.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:32 am

It’s a nice property but nothing truly amazing given the price. The public spaces are impressive, but rooms kind of meh. The award and upgrade games keep me away. Yet another reason why SPG/Marriott are going to get my 5+ nights this year. Too many Hyatt hotels give the bare minimum to globalists.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:25 pm

10 night minimum stay for points????!!!!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Can there be any explanation for that other than it allows them to offer the base "garden view" room for sale without technically violating the requirement that it made be available for awards as well? By imposing a 10 day minimum for an award, they maximize the likelihood the room will be booked at a cash rate, rather than for points.

Shame shame shame.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Not that unusual for resorts. I have run into this with other Hyatt resorts and it is allowed under WoH program. What bothers me is that minimum length of stay for WoH can be substantially longer than paid rates.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

........ if I checked for 10 (not less) nights queen beds was available for points. Plan was to book this, and call in to amend.....
Not going to work. I've tried this with a different Hyatt resort and could not change booking to less than minimum. If 10 is the minimum, you can book 12 and change to 10. But you cannot change to less than 10 unless hotel approves it. Which is not likely as they were the one who instituted 10 night minimum to begin with.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by TerryK
Not going to work. I've tried this with a different Hyatt resort and could not change booking to less than minimum. If 10 is the minimum, you can book 12 and change to 10. But you cannot change to less than 10 unless hotel approves it. Which is not likely as they were the one who instituted 10 night minimum to begin with.
Well, as reported it did work here. Without hotel involved.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, as reported it did work here. Without hotel involved.
Whoops! I missed that part. Congrats. You've got better Hyatt agent than I do and I supposedly have PL agent.

Last edited by TerryK; Jan 29, 2018 at 6:58 am
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:19 am

A couple of years ago I was able to book a four night award stay in a Garden View room. The room, being dark, facing bushes, and on the ground floor, truly put a damper on my stay. Contrast that to when the hotel first opened and I was automatically upgraded to the Pool Suite using my credit card free nights and points. Times have changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.