Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt makes award nights count towards status apply to retroactive 2017 status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt makes award nights count towards status apply to retroactive 2017 status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by benitovacation
There is language under "We're Sorry" wording to the effect of removing "G-" in URL (.....WOHNUMBER=G-XXXXXXXX....). XXXXXXXXX is your WOH#. Remove the G- and re-enter and that same page displays again. Make the selection and it should go through properly.

I already chose points for my 90 and 100 nights award.

Idk whether it's fraud protection or Hyatt IT at its finest.
THANK YOU! It worked (points to show up in minutes or less). To reiterate the above in more detail:
  • Click the link in the email
  • select your choice and the We're sorry page is displayed.
  • copy the url and paste it in notepad
  • remove all the "G-" in the url
  • copy the modified url and place in browser
  • the selection page is render again
  • select your choice and submit
  • wait for points to show in a minute or so
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I achieved Globalist in 2017 by reaching 62 nights and imagine my surprise with an email now saying i have 73 nights and I get to choose between 10K points or an additional TSU. I've been saying it all along, Hyatt rocks! If you all could have just stayed loyal for longer than the time it took you to read the next email promotion from another hotel chain announcing their great new promotion.....What is the definition of loyalty? a strong feeling of support or allegiance, as opposed to this definition....a person who takes advantage of others' generosity. Another year of top notch status and loyalty recognition for me, I'm all in!!!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
THANK YOU! It worked (points to show up in minutes or less). To reiterate the above in more detail:
  • Click the link in the email
  • select your choice and the We're sorry page is displayed.
  • copy the url and paste it in notepad
  • remove all the "G-" in the url
  • copy the modified url and place in browser
  • the selection page is render again
  • select your choice and submit
  • wait for points to show in a minute or so
Just tried this myself and it worked.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
So essentially does not look like anyone was bumped to the next status due to this, but just given the bonus for achieving 70, 80, 90, ect nights. I think this is relatively fair--as others have mentioned many spent cash to get to 60 when they otherwise would have done an award night. I'll gladly take the extra 10k points!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:40 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
So essentially does not look like anyone was bumped to the next status due to this, but just given the bonus for achieving 70, 80, 90, ect nights. I think this is relatively fair--as others have mentioned many spent cash to get to 60 when they otherwise would have done an award night. I'll gladly take the extra 10k points!
It's tempting to assign a rating (such as not too bad, terrible, could be worse, etc.) to Hyatt's recent announcement, by comparing it to other "change the rules after the game is over" scenarios. But what's the point? _All_ "change the rules after the game is over" scenarios are hated by those who played by the rules, and welcomed by those who did NOT play by the rules.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
It's tempting to assign a rating (such as not too bad, terrible, could be worse, etc.) to Hyatt's recent announcement, by comparing it to other "change the rules after the game is over" scenarios. But what's the point? _All_ "change the rules after the game is over" scenarios are hated by those who played by the rules, and welcomed by those who did NOT play by the rules.
I would completely agree with this if there was some huge benefit given. It seems those that went for a paid night in an effort to get to 70, 80 ect is a very small minority. This retroactive change is basically a gift that was not necessary to give, to all of us that "played by the rules." If they gave Glob status based on award stays in 2017, that would be a different story entirely.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I don't know what is considered playing by the rules, but I don't see how this is anything but a decent gift.

Sure, at the beginning of 2017 (and 2016, and 2015, and etc.) we thought reward nights should have counted as actual nights, but that was not how Hyatt did it.

We all seemed to be pleased when they announced they would start counting them in 2018.

Reaching back to retroactively do it for 2017 to essentially give points or TSUs to folks is a good thing.

We should stop trying to make a good thing a bad thing.
PortlySpartacus and MarkOK like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I don't know what is considered playing by the rules, but I don't see how this is anything but a decent gift.

Sure, at the beginning of 2017 (and 2016, and 2015, and etc.) we thought reward nights should have counted as actual nights, but that was not how Hyatt did it.

We all seemed to be pleased when they announced they would start counting them in 2018.

Reaching back to retroactively do it for 2017 to essentially give points or TSUs to folks is a good thing.

We should stop trying to make a good thing a bad thing.
It's a nice bonus for sure but a kick in the teeth to come CLOSER to achieving Globalist and fail.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:07 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
It doesn't sound as if this was limited to handing out bonuses for staying 70, 80, etc nights. There have been claims in some of the threads on this topic that people were bumped to the next status level, including Glob, by the retroactive counting of award nights. I think this is totally unfair to those who "wasted their money" to get to Glob status by paying for nights when they had plenty of award nights to qualify under these "new" rules. I know if I had done mattress runs to get the 5 nights I needed to get to 60 nights, I'd be real unhappy learning my award stays would make spending those $$ totally unnecessary.
DaveH likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by Aventine
It's a nice bonus for sure but a kick in the teeth to come CLOSER to achieving Globalist and fail.
I've never been kicked in the teeth, but I'm not seeing it here.

Someone with 48 paid nights and 11 award nights in 2017 wasn't Globalist for 2018. They still aren't under this plan.

If Hyatt doesn't make the award nights retroactive for 2017, then the person still isn't Globalist.

Had Hyatt notified folks last January that they were doing this, then sure, the person could have stayed one more night and become Globalist, but that is not what Hyatt did.

There are plenty of promotions that just don't fit my stay patterns, and I don't benefit from them as much as other people. That's OK. I do not need to receive every possible benefit at the maximum level. I'll benefit from some aspects of the program more than other people, while other people will benefit from other aspects more than me.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'll add this to the list of things Hyatt has done that make almost no sense. Why not offer a promotion, bring back the diamond/globalist amenity, or better yet roll back the qualifying requirements to the old stay/night standards? All of those would have at least driven additional business.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by skj
It doesn't sound as if this was limited to handing out bonuses for staying 70, 80, etc nights. There have been claims in some of the threads on this topic that people were bumped to the next status level, including Glob, by the retroactive counting of award nights. I think this is totally unfair to those who "wasted their money" to get to Glob status by paying for nights when they had plenty of award nights to qualify under these "new" rules. I know if I had done mattress runs to get the 5 nights I needed to get to 60 nights, I'd be real unhappy learning my award stays would make spending those $$ totally unnecessary.
I have yet to see anyone make that claim (that they got to Glob based on this). At least not in this thread--perhaps I missed it?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
. I do not need to receive every possible benefit at the maximum level. I'll benefit from some aspects of the program more than other people, while other people will benefit from other aspects more than me.
Yes exactly. Too much of flyertalk (and not just members that visit the Hyatt boards) and certain bloggers are too focused on "maximizing return on investment". The complaints about this move just dumbfounds me because all it does it gives a gift to people that spend a ton of points last year, in a move which to me just looks like Hyatt trying to do an honest-to-goodness goodwill gesture towards improving their program and healing some of the wounds they opened with some of their frequent customers. To some people, nothing is ever 'enough' though. To some people, every move has some 'sinister' insult behind it.

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I'll add this to the list of things Hyatt has done that make almost no sense. Why not offer a promotion, bring back the diamond/globalist amenity, or better yet roll back the qualifying requirements to the old stay/night standards? All of those would have at least driven additional business.
Actually, I think that they probably think this will drive additional business. This is a direct gift to frequent customers in rough proportion to how many points they burned last year. The more points burned last year, the more likely they were a long term (or at least good) customer, under gold passport, that Hyatt probably wants to win back some goodwill from. For many people here, for example, it is nothing more than a 'gift' of a TSU and 10,000 pts (which, to be used, either way requires future stays) to people that made full globalists with paid nights last year. To some, it should mean a bump up in status (and people with status come back to take advantage of it).

Promos also produce a fresh round of moans/groans (every promo last year did). I don't see how any of this impedes/conflicts with Hyatt's probability of doing any promos (so I don't think this is an either or situation).

But now let's review what are the either or situations -- 'bringing back amenities' and 'old requirements'
I think bringing back the actual 'gift' amenity would be great, but do note that many of the better Hyatts still send up check in amenities (GH DFW, for example sends up a bottle of wine and a sweet/savory snack outlay) and I think a Hyatt that is truly on their A game would/should gift more/better to people checking in for longer stays. It would be nice though, I agree, if globalists were always treated something nice (even HH and HP's have bars and 'bar bites' and could give out a free drink/app coupon at the very least and it wouldn't cost all that much of anything). As for the bring back check in amenity in the form of pts, I still think that was a lame practice (rewarding customers at a higher rate for shorter-stays). And, remember, that that is replaced with essentially the free cat1-4 and cat1-7 certificates at 30 and 60 nights (which can easily be more valuable when redeemed well -- a cat 7 is 30,000 pts, the equivalent of 30 FS check in amenities), And, if you choose the 10,000 extra pts at nights 70, 80 90, 100, you are earning a rate of 1,000 extra pts PER NIGHT, which exceeds (or at the very least equals) the bonuses pts of the old check in amenity when you land on those spots. For my travel, I come out much farther ahead with this system, even with subpar use of the free night awards. The only way you don't come out ahead is if you can't use the free night award, thankfully we got longer expiration dates now and hopefully that gets longer, and/or if your travel was vast-majority 1 night stays at FS locations, and I realize that includes some people, but it certainly isn't most people. I would call a reversion from the free night certs and 70.80.90.100 night bonuses a devaluation (a term, that I think is over used and used too loosely), and a devaluation big enough to force me to go back to the drawing board to make sure Hyatt was still the best program for me. Of course, we just want it both ways but that has never been the program.

By, 'better yet roll back the qualifying requirements to the old stay/night standards', do you mean back to when free nights didn't count or do you mean - I want my free nights to count and I want the old standards (because of course we just want everything for free anyways). I for one would rather have 60 nights (55 upon renewal) with free nights counting than the old 50 nights/25 stays that only counted cash and cash/pt paid stays. If hyatt reverts, it isn't going to "drive up" business in any obvious way, but rather would make a few happy (who wants to earn status with 25 nights) while making others mad (those us who wants free nights to count). If Hyatt does decide to bring 'back' a stay-based qualification, the rules will have to be carefully evaluated which will surely, no matter what they do, be called a kick to the teeth by someone (should free night stays really count towards the 25? should someone staying 25 nights and 25 stays be gifted a cat 1-4 and cat 1-7 certificate, TSU's? IS there a 'additional stay' criteria that makes sense for additional awards like the 70,80,90,100 nights? It is such a minefield, and the bottom line question is, how valuable is something that stays 25 times for 1 night to Hyatt's bottom line?)

Sorry, this post got long....

Last edited by MarkOK; Jan 26, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:25 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I have yet to see anyone make that claim (that they got to Glob based on this). At least not in this thread--perhaps I missed it?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29338634-post669.html, in the "Here we go again, 20 night ..." thread.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Now I will have to start booking away fron Hyatt a month earlier to avoid my TSUs expiring too early

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.