Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Dec 30 Not Counting Towards 2017 Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec 30 Not Counting Towards 2017 Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:44 am

I can share a similar experience.

As with many, I waited for late December for the final 60th night to trigger the 12 month TSUs & Cat 7 night, and booked a stay from 12/28 to 1/2. When I spoke with the Hyatt desk, the person assured me that, if necessary, we can backdate the stay for 2017 to ensure I'd qualify for Globalist. However, on second thought and reading some points of view on here, I decided not to risk it, and hedged with a single night stay in a different Hyatt for my 60th night. Checking out on 1/2, I see 5 nights credited towards 2018.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami

Regardless, it's utterly ludicrous that a nights-based program would operate like this. No rational person would expect a Dec. 1 to Jan. 1 hotel stay would count as 31 nights in 2018.
doesnt every program credit stays by checkout?
I kinda see it as a positive - head start can be quite useful.. and if one needs nights in prev year there is flexibility of checking out on 12/31
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paolo64
i .. However, given the Keystone Cops/French Farce/generally clueless way they managed the changes, nothing would surprise.
and tbis bitterness i dont get at all - you may not like new rules but hyatt implemented and followed the rules very consistently
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azepine00
and tbis bitterness i dont get at all - you may not like new rules but hyatt implemented and followed the rules very consistently
No, they absolutely have not. Misinformation and backtracking has been the norm with WoH.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
doesnt every program credit stays by checkout?
I kinda see it as a positive - head start can be quite useful.. and if one needs nights in prev year there is flexibility of checking out on 12/31
Not every program!

SPG for example:
One checks in on December 30, 2017 and checks out on January 2, 2018 will record as:
2017 - 2 nights
2018 - 1 night, 1 stay

The nights will always post in the correct year. The stay will post in the year of check-out.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It's only a positive for people who had already requalified or had no hope of qualifying or requalifying. It's an absurd way to run a nights-based program.

"Sorry you missed Globalist by one night even though you stayed with Hyatt for 60 nights in this calendar year, but look on the bright side: Now you have a three-night head start for 2018!"
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by controller1
Not every program!

SPG for example:
One checks in on December 30, 2017 and checks out on January 2, 2018 will record as:
2017 - 2 nights
2018 - 1 night, 1 stay

The nights will always post in the correct year. The stay will post in the year of check-out.
Marriott would always count nights based on what year they were in.

The Hyatt method of counting based only on checkout day means that anyone who needs nights to count for actual year needs to checkout on December 31 at the latest. Of course, someone who wants a head start on nights counting for the following year should book a stay with multiple nights in December and a check out date on or after January 1.

Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-gold, Hyatt - glob, HH - Gold, Marriott -Gold
Originally Posted by VA1379

Marriott would always count nights based on what year they were in.

The Hyatt method of counting based only on checkout day means that anyone who needs nights to count for actual year needs to checkout on December 31 at the latest. Of course, someone who wants a head start on nights counting for the following year should book a stay with multiple nights in December and a check out date on or after January 1.

You don't really get a head start on the next year because one of the benefits for hitting 60 nights is 55 night re qualification for the next year. So if the OP night was credited to 2017 they would only need 55 nights for 2018. Now they need 59 more to qualify.

Also, I still don't see anywhere in the T&C where it explicitly states that the nights will credit to the year where checkout occurred just that they won't be credited until checkout.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:43 pm

Same Problem

Hello ,

I had the exact same issue. I called WOH and had the rudest male person I have ever encountered.

Easily fixed. Sent email to the Global Sales Manager for my region. Received prompt response and apology and all rectified . Hopefully they were able to pull the call history from the first phone call made and reprimand appropriately.

Lisa
DaveH, Kacee and DltaSchmlta like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:17 am

Hmmm... where do I find the email for the global sales manager for the region? Got a bunch of rooms that I need to take care of quickly.. either Hyatt or Marriott....
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
Thank you very much Lisamare. Sent an email to [email protected] and 2 days later got an email apologizing for the problems and confirming Dec 30 posted in 2017 and i made glob. Faith in Hyatt restored.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:46 pm

Just called Hyatt and was told that management reviewed the issue and decided to fix the issue. Took about 5 minutes on the phone and now I have my suite upgrades and free night (I was going to be globalist anyway apparently). Rep told me that anyone else who has an issue just call and they can fix the issue.

Glad to see that Hyatt came through. Now I can book my Jan and Feb stays.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Looks like WoH are backtracking from what appears to be a decision made with/for the new program.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by serfty
Looks like WoH are backtracking from what appears to be a decision made with/for the new program.
No, they did the same exact thing last year under Gold Passport. The front-line agents apply the published rule aggressively, a bunch of people complain that they were told something else, and management decides to relax the rule. How much you want to bet we see the exact same circus next year?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Hi;

If one has a cash rate for Dec 26 - Dec 30 2018, and then one night stays booked as points (all with separate confirmation numbers) for Dec 30, 31 and Jan 1, my questions are:

1) Should this be treated as one big stay for seven nights, all credited as staying in 2019 (since I'm not checking in and checking out)
2) Will the system likely recognize it this way?

I'm not sure as of now which I would prefer (a head start on 2019 requalification for 2020, or an extra TSU for use in 2019). But I might be planning my 2019 vacation a little differently if I don't get the 7 nights all credited as a 2019 stay.

Thank in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.