Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on World of Hyatt Globalist status after using it throughout 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on World of Hyatt Globalist status after using it throughout 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I've been Diamond/Globalist for a few years and qualified for Globalist at 62 nights in December.

My experience with Globalist in 2017 was about par for the course in terms of what the rest of you are describing. The only upgrades I got were a result of a lot of work: I tried to use TSUs about six times and each time was told by the Globalist phone line that there was nothing available. After letting the phone person know that I know most of the hotels have reduced their TSU-eligible suites due to re-categorization, I would ask if they would contact the hotel to see if they could find an alternate suite. In a couple cases I found a sympathetic person who would call the hotel and get me into a suite (there were always low-level suites available, the hotel had just programmed the categories so that they would show unavailable for people trying to use TSUs), in a few other cases the phone clerk got nasty and refused to help me utilize TSUs at all. It's a bit shocking sometimes how the regular Globalist phone line treats the supposed "top tier" members-- I've had nicer phone support from the Department of Motor Vehicles in some cases. Even though I was a Globalist with a ton of nights in 2016, I never got a concierge. Still waiting on an assignment of a concierge for 2018.

Most of my stays were in the Americas where the service isn't as top-level as in Asia, but the rule of thumb that Hyatts outside the country have better service/amenities than domestic Hyatts proved true this year as well. HR Mexico for example has a great lounge in Mexico City.

I also found the situation with the supposed World of Hyatt check-in lines to be really frustrating-- it's very common for there to be no front desk clerk at the WOH line, so as WOH you have to just wait with everyone else. Line organization was much clearer and quicker during Hyatt Gold Passport. But that's basically the case with the whole program: HGP seemed very customer-focused and attentive, whereas in WOH you basically have to shout and struggle for your benefits like its an episode of Survivor.

Lack of resort fees for Globalists is nice, but if you also have a car you still end up paying a lot in parking fees.

I'm not going to prioritize WOH status for this year. If my travel patterns happen to get me Globalist again, that's nice, but the amount of work it takes to get benefits just doesn't incentivize putting in any extra effort to obtain Hyatt status. Particularly since U.S. Hyatts seem to be downgrading their service levels at a rapid rate. Soon it will just be a lot more economical to buy your own breakfast and club room and suite upgrade (if desired) and stay wherever you want than play the status game.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Katlor
Soon it will just be a lot more economical to buy your own breakfast and club room and suite upgrade (if desired) and stay wherever you want than play the status game.
A lot of that depends how close you are to 55. If you subtract your nights-on-points as well as the nights that Hyatt happens to be the best property for that trip, then it may not be that costly.

For that matter, suppose you have 55 nights. There would be a savings in points by a 5-night mattress run for 25K that gets you a Cat 7 night. That assumes there is access to a Cat 1.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Appreciate the OP. I just realized I can likely qualify for Globalist this year on points solely off my Vegas stays if I move them all to mLife properties, but reading the posts on here I'm not sure I should bother. I used to be Hyatt Diamond several years back, and it's disappointing to see how poor the program is now.

I just wanted to add one comment:

Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
  • M-Life Status - As someone who spends far too much time in Las Vegas for work, the prior Gold Passport Diamond status benefit of M-Life Platinum was massive, and it is actually the original reason I started staying at Hyatt. Under the new World of Hyatt program, Globalist only gets M-Life Gold, which is unfortunate, as gold is borderline useless at MGM properties (at least in Las Vegas). I do, however, greatly appreciate that I earn Hyatt points and qualified nights by staying at MGM properties.
TBH, I've always thought mLife Plat is borderline worthless and I'm not sure there's a huge difference between Gold and Platinum; IIRC Plats don't even get separate check-in lines from Gold at any of the properties. The taxi line skip was really useful when Uber was banned, but I always take Uber now over dealing with the shady Vegas cabbies. mLife keeps devaluing Platinum every so often too.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
A lot of that depends how close you are to 55..
That's true, if you are close enough to 55 just based on natural travel and have the points, some effort towards Globalist might be worth it. One issue however that devalues Globalist for me even more this year is that many of the Hyatts that have lounges don't let Globalists have a breakfast in the restaurant anymore. One of the best things about HGP Diamond was getting a nice, full breakfast. The loss of restaurant breakfast isn't a big deal in places like Asia where the lounge breakfasts are full and tasty, but some of the U.S. Hyatt lounges are now serving lounge breakfasts that are equivalent with domestic Sheratons: e.g. a few carbs with little to no protein. I've found in those instances that I just end up getting a coffee and nibbling a muffin, and then I've still got to go buy breakfast. So the Globalist benefit there shrinks even further.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Katlor
I've been Diamond/Globalist for a few years and qualified for Globalist at 62 nights in December.

My experience with Globalist in 2017 was about par for the course in terms of what the rest of you are describing. The only upgrades I got were a result of a lot of work: I tried to use TSUs about six times and each time was told by the Globalist phone line that there was nothing available. After letting the phone person know that I know most of the hotels have reduced their TSU-eligible suites due to re-categorization, I would ask if they would contact the hotel to see if they could find an alternate suite. In a couple cases I found a sympathetic person who would call the hotel and get me into a suite (there were always low-level suites available, the hotel had just programmed the categories so that they would show unavailable for people trying to use TSUs), in a few other cases the phone clerk got nasty and refused to help me utilize TSUs at all. It's a bit shocking sometimes how the regular Globalist phone line treats the supposed "top tier" members-- I've had nicer phone support from the Department of Motor Vehicles in some cases. Even though I was a Globalist with a ton of nights in 2016, I never got a concierge. Still waiting on an assignment of a concierge for 2018.

Most of my stays were in the Americas where the service isn't as top-level as in Asia, but the rule of thumb that Hyatts outside the country have better service/amenities than domestic Hyatts proved true this year as well. HR Mexico for example has a great lounge in Mexico City.

I also found the situation with the supposed World of Hyatt check-in lines to be really frustrating-- it's very common for there to be no front desk clerk at the WOH line, so as WOH you have to just wait with everyone else. Line organization was much clearer and quicker during Hyatt Gold Passport. But that's basically the case with the whole program: HGP seemed very customer-focused and attentive, whereas in WOH you basically have to shout and struggle for your benefits like its an episode of Survivor.

Lack of resort fees for Globalists is nice, but if you also have a car you still end up paying a lot in parking fees.

I'm not going to prioritize WOH status for this year. If my travel patterns happen to get me Globalist again, that's nice, but the amount of work it takes to get benefits just doesn't incentivize putting in any extra effort to obtain Hyatt status. Particularly since U.S. Hyatts seem to be downgrading their service levels at a rapid rate. Soon it will just be a lot more economical to buy your own breakfast and club room and suite upgrade (if desired) and stay wherever you want than play the status game.
If you use points for the stay, you get free parking.
I always check first to see if there is a suite available online, under the standard rate, before calling to use a suite upgrade certificate. If there is, I haven't had issues.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
If you use points for the stay, you get free parking.
Yes of course you get free parking when you are using points, which is nice, but unless you have a huge stash of Hyatt points from prior years, the major reduction in points earning with WOH (elimination of the check-in bonus, very few promos) means that most stays are going to be paid if you are doing 55 or more nights a year. It was easier to rack up award stays when Hyatt was giving Diamonds nice points bonuses with each stay.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
im a 35 to 65 night domestic guy. Las 7 years very loyal Hyatt. Always was HYATT first, second and third option. With the WoH lacking a Welcome Pomits/food, I will be sidelined until if it returns. Hopefully it does at some point. Was down to about 15 nights hyatt 2017; lowest since 2009
Just out of curiosity, where are you shifting the stays that you used to give to Hyatt? Have you found a different hotel loyalty program that better suites your needs, or are you now a hotel free agent?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I left the IHG ambassador program when I realized 60 nights per year as benefits were fleeced wasn’t worth it and I could go elsewhere. Hyatt committed the same sin in some sense when it upped the qualification without thinking about its footprint. They are still “small” IMO regarding footprint vs Hilton, Marriott. SPG, and IHG. They got from me what that deserves, just a few stays. If they reconsider for 2018 so will I as I’ve felt treatment has been great. But footprint is the killer for me. I will agree with the OP’s point about upgrades and asking though.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I'm relatively new to Hyatt, 1 year as Diamond and 1 year as Globalist. Also hold top tier status with SPG/Marriott/Hilton since 2011.

I would rate Hyatt as my favorite program for the following reasons:
-Staying at top tier properties does not require that many points.
-Free parking on award nights, saved me a lot in NYC, DC, Toronto
-Upgrades to suites (SPG is on par)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
FlyingRobot, your summary of Hyatt Globalist is spot on. I have the same feelings.

The only thing that I would add is the elimination of resort fees for Globalists. That was a nice perk. However, I have had a few nights at the Scottsdale resort last year where I no longer had to pay the resort fee, but now they have also introduced a daily parking rate of $25

I have been a diamond for many years, all on my own dime. I have seen many changes and many of them positive (free internet, faster free nights, guaranteed breakfast or lounge, the introduction of bonus points or amenity, free night certificate after staying at 5 brands etc) . However the WORST net changes in all the years was the WOH changes. Globalist/Diamond is still one of the best in the industry, but for me its net negative changes MAY encourage me to stop being loyal. In fact if it wasn't for the award nights counting towards status, I probably would have finally quit chasing Hyatt status.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by smilee
FlyingRobot, your summary of Hyatt Globalist is spot on. I have the same feelings.

The only thing that I would add is the elimination of resort fees for Globalists. That was a nice perk. However, I have had a few nights at the Scottsdale resort last year where I no longer had to pay the resort fee, but now they have also introduced a daily parking rate of $25

I have been a diamond for many years, all on my own dime. I have seen many changes and many of them positive (free internet, faster free nights, guaranteed breakfast or lounge, the introduction of bonus points or amenity, free night certificate after staying at 5 brands etc) . However the WORST net changes in all the years was the WOH changes. Globalist/Diamond is still one of the best in the industry, but for me its net negative changes MAY encourage me to stop being loyal. In fact if it wasn't for the award nights counting towards status, I probably would have finally quit chasing Hyatt status.
The reasons you listed is where I pretty much was for this year. Then I found out late in dec all point stays will count. I will be able to get about 1.5M UR points this year along with other points/miles. I could qualify for Glob again just on points.

Last edited by shakim; Jan 12, 2018 at 12:09 pm Reason: Mistake
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
Originally Posted by gengar
TBH, I've always thought mLife Plat is borderline worthless and I'm not sure there's a huge difference between Gold and Platinum; IIRC Plats don't even get separate check-in lines from Gold at any of the properties. The taxi line skip was really useful when Uber was banned, but I always take Uber now over dealing with the shady Vegas cabbies. mLife keeps devaluing Platinum every so often too.
mLife Platinum can use the check in lounges ("Invited guest check-in") at all properties rather than the front desk. Spent this week at Delano and used the check in lounge through the glass doors to the left of the front desk to avoid a 75+ person line. Also, taxi line skip is still amazingly useful during busy weeks like CES, as Uber's are often 10-15 minutes away. Club entrance (with guests) is pretty good too, although I don't go to clubs that often anymore. Also, I find restaurants and the buffet, at all properties I've tried, have shorter waits/lines for Platinum vs Gold... but that is really only useful during heavy conference weeks.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I spend about half of each year on the road for work. I will always choose a Hyatt hotel if one is available in the area I am traveling to, which was 86 nights in 2017 (about 25% of my year). I had been a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member for 2012-2017, now Globalist for 2017 (and re-qualified for 2018).

In general, the change to WoH went mostly unnoticed, but there were a few things that stood out:
  • Upgrades (availability based) - while this has improved with Globalist, I have still yet to check in to a hotel this year that offered me an upgrade without me asking (including about half of the Hyatts listed on the "World of Hyatt - Globalist Experiences [Best Room Available incl. Standard Suites]" thread). When I do ask, they front desk representatives always moan and grumble as if I am annoying them. That is usually followed by "let me ask the manager" or some other statement to make it clear I'm imposing undue burden on them.

The World of Hyatt program very clearly offers room upgrades, up to standard suites, on all stays. Hotels should really be instructed to include something like "Thank you for being a Globalist, we've upgraded you to xxx" or "Thank you for being a Globalist, unfortunately we don't have any upgrades available currently, but I will check a few times during your stay if you'd be interested in moving rooms mid-stay" ... or anything that at least acknowledges the benefit so that I am not required to ask.

That said, nothing is more frustrating than having a representative tell me "we've upgraded you to a very nice xx room", only to have them list exactly what I booked ... or, my favorite, "we've upgraded you to a very nice room on the xx floor" only to look at the fire escape map in the room and see that I am in the smallest room on the floor. I would so much rather a simple acknowledgement of the benefit and honesty about availability.
  • Lines - With the prior Gold Passport program, every hotel had stanchions with signs for the front desk to form two queues. One queue said "Gold Passport Platinum & Diamond" and the other said something like "All other guests". It was clear to everyone what each line was for. Under World of Hyatt, there is a single roped off queue with an "Explorist / Globalist" sign, and absolutely no other queue for everyone else, or worse, I've been to a few that just have a sign on one check-in desk and no ropes at all. This is super confusing and I have not had a single hotel this year handle this correctly. Either everyone is in the one queue or there are multiple lines, one for each representative, and nobody is using the queue. The end result is that I either get a lot of dirty looks from other guests as I try to skip the queue and approach the Globalist labeled desk or, more often, I just get in line to avoid the awkwardness.
  • My Hyatt Concierge - when this was first added, I received a call from a concierge to introduce himself and explain the service. It made no sense. I book through the app, website, or my corporate travel service. The agent said I still call the main number if I want to use an upgrade or need help with a 48-hour guaranteed availability, rather than him. I've never had issues scheduling spa treatments or dining reservations at the hotel, on the day I'd like to have them. The agent said that he would keep me informed of the latest promotions and "insider information", but I never heard from him (or any concierge) again ... Overall, it seems like a wasted of Hyatt resources for very little member benefit. I'd rather see this effort spent on adding dining and spa bookings in the mobile app or finally allowing me to apply a Confirmed Suite Upgrade through the website or mobile app on an existing reservation or at the time of booking rather than forcing me to call to check inventory and availability.
  • M-Life Status - As someone who spends far too much time in Las Vegas for work, the prior Gold Passport Diamond status benefit of M-Life Platinum was massive, and it is actually the original reason I started staying at Hyatt. Under the new World of Hyatt program, Globalist only gets M-Life Gold, which is unfortunate, as gold is borderline useless at MGM properties (at least in Las Vegas). I do, however, greatly appreciate that I earn Hyatt points and qualified nights by staying at MGM properties.
I'm excited to see that "Finally! Award nights will count towards elite status in 2018".
The upgrades situation is EXACTLY my experience as well. As a globalist with 97 nights last year alone, I have a lot of experience checking in. If you ask for an upgrade its like you are really putting them off, and when it DOES happen frequently i'll look at the floor map and realize my room is exactly the same as everyone else. Which is to say they lied to me. I basically don't even bother anymore and just take whatever room.

The concierge is a joke. Half the time i've tried to use the concierge they didn't even respond. I once had to email 3 times before anyone responded to my request for more information on a property.

The lines are exactly as you say. We are in the chicago o'hare hyatt regency right now and I can see the check in counter from where I am sitting. There is a globalist line and then no queues for anything else.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
mLife Platinum can use the check in lounges ("Invited guest check-in") at all properties rather than the front desk. Spent this week at Delano and used the check in lounge through the glass doors to the left of the front desk to avoid a 75+ person line. Also, taxi line skip is still amazingly useful during busy weeks like CES, as Uber's are often 10-15 minutes away. Club entrance (with guests) is pretty good too, although I don't go to clubs that often anymore. Also, I find restaurants and the buffet, at all properties I've tried, have shorter waits/lines for Platinum vs Gold... but that is really only useful during heavy conference weeks.
Not all mLife properties have invited guest check-in lounges and/or segregate Plats from Golds at check-in. Bellagio, for example, only has one line for Plat/Gold and invited guests at the main check-in area; Plats don't even get to use Chairman's Lounge much less VIP check-in. It's the same for buffets - neither Bellagio nor Aria have separate lines for Plats vs Golds, at least last time I dined at either. So I guess any added Platinum value from Plat segregation vs. Golds is completely property-dependent. Perhaps it'd be interesting/useful to compile a list of which mLife properties do have further segregation in this regard.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Glob, Marriot/SPG - Plat, IHG - Plat
I was Globalist in 2017 and re-qualified for 2018 through the credit card promotion. I was quite pleased with most aspects of the program with some exceptions.

Upgrades - I have much better luck with upgrades than most but I also make a habit of asking proactively every stay. I have had success being upgraded to either true suites or Jr. suites at every property I stay at with the exception of Hyatt Houses/Hyatt Places. Travel for this was in the Continental U.S.

TSUs- I had an excellent suite at the Park Hyatt Tokyo and a Large suite at the Andaz Wall St. in NYC. I actually did not use all of my TSUs because I was so often upgraded to the same suite without using one.

Breakfast - I have noticed many of the properties I stay at have cut back on this benefit. I have encountered spending limits at both the Park Hyatt DC and the Andaz Wall St which is a bit annoying as the amount they will cover frequently causes us to cut back on breakfast (2 entrees + 1 coffee and 1 juice total for 2 people). I don't bother mentioning it if we go over unless it is a large amount because it is not really worth my time for a few dollars. On occasional the front desk will wipe all charges anyway which is appreciated.

I certainly miss the 1k points welcome amenity which hurt my total earnings for the year.

Overall I was pleased with Hyatt and they remain my favorite brand. It is unlikely I will be able to requalify for 2019 unless they have a similar promotion to last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.