FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Place Frankfurt Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1886316-hyatt-place-frankfurt-airport-review-master-thread.html)

mechu May 12, 2024 3:37 am

Considering whether to book cash vs points. Would the parking be complimentary if staying on points as a globalist? Saw upthread that HP has a hotel garage although I am not sure if it belongs to the hotel.

Also this will be a mid trip stop. Does the property have self service coin operated washer dryers? Seems to be a rare amenity for HP and HH in Europe.

Flying Buccaneer May 19, 2024 6:32 am

I had a 24-hour layover at FRA between flights on two separate tickets, so I booked that stay at the HP FRA using 5000 WoH points. I arrived at FRA from SGN at 7:20 a.m. I had requested an 8 a.m. check-in but wasn't too optimistic about my chances of getting a room right away because I had seen the hotel was fully booked the night before. After the nearly 13-hour flight, I decided to do the 20-minute walk from T2. The walk is pleasant if you don't have too much luggage; I only had a roll aboard and backpack. (Note: I am a 64 year old man and not an athlete :))

When I arrived at the hotel, there was one person ahead of me checking out. There appeared to be some issues with their bill, so another agent came to the front desk to help me. She thanked me for being a globalist, looked for a room in the system, and made a call to housekeeping. One king room was ready. She told me that because I was so early, there would be a €20 check-in fee. Before I could say anything, she said that it was usually a €40 fee, but it was less for globalists. Because I wanted a shower and a place to lie down, I didn't want to quibble over it. She also told me I could have breakfast that morning, but I had eaten breakfast a couple of hours earlier on the flight. (Note: The early check-in fee did not appear on my final bill.)

As with my other experience with a HP outside the US -- the other was the HP London East -- I was impressed that the breakfast was a real breakfast. The past few years, I have bypassed HP breakfasts in the US more often than not because the quality has decreased tremendously. However, this was a real breakfast: scrambled eggs that looked and tasted like scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, roasted potatoes and tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, fresh fruits, pastries, breads, cereals, yogurt, cheese and meats, and a variety of spreads. Plus, there were two coffee machines.

I had been upgraded to a King Deluxe room, but the room I got was a regular king. It was a functional room with a comfortable bed and chaise lounge. After showering and relaxing for a couple of hours, I took the S-bahn into Frankfurt. The Gateway Gardens station is basically next door to the hotel; walk out the front door, turn left, and there it is. Frankfurt Hbf is only about 11 minutes away by train. If I were visiting Frankfurt, I would rather stay in the city, but this would not be a bad base for exploring the city if the other options were significantly more expensive.

Dining options nearby are limited mostly to restaurants and cafes at other airport hotels. There is also a Rewe Supermarket a few minutes away by foot. At check-in, I received a coupon for a free beer or wine at the hotel bar, so I checked it out. I also decided to have dinner at the hotel's restaurant. My spargel soup and Frankfurt salad were good, and the service was friendly. While most of the surrounding area is occupied by offices and other hotels, there is lots of green space. As a result, it seems more relaxed and serene than the locations of other airport hotels.

Overall, I think the HP FRA is a great option for an overnight stay near the airport, especially for those arriving at and departing from T2. If the weather allows, the walk from/to T2 is relatively easy. If not, or if traveling with luggage, the S-bahn or taxi/Uber gives easy access to the airport.