Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Finally! Award nights will count towards elite status in 2018

Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select

Being reported on several high profile blogs including TPG (https://thepointsguy.com/2017/12/hya...-elite-status/) and VFTW (Hyatt Will Count Award Stays Towards Status and Improve Short-Expiring Free Night Awards - View from the Wing)... all free nights, whether from points or a free night certificate, will count towards elite status. Starts January 1st 2018

Earned awards will go from 120 to 180 day expiration... that's an improvement too, but award nights is huge. Combine that with the 55 night requirement for returning globalists, and that will make status just that much easier to retain. Great job Hyatt... and finally! (is this because they lost too many globalists?)

Will this change lead to more nights at Hyatt for you?
Football Fan likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:21 am

DEFINITELY a step in the right direction.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
A day late, and a dollar short, as usual.
Markie, DH, bbbb and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice. I had to double check since it's Spain's version of April Fools Day today.

^ if confirmed. (although people like Gary Leff usually get it straight from the company)
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:28 am

Smart move I guess in that many people probably burned up a ton of points, removing a bunch from the system for next year
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
Such a good move and positive changes!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Definitely this solves one of the most important changes that needs to occur (elite qualifying nights), and improves (but does not solve completely) the short-expiration.

Will it make me stay at Hyatt more?? Not really (since I am already fully vested in the next year at least), but it does make it less likely that in the future that I will find greener pastures elsewhere. I does make it more likely that I will use all-pts for some of my stays.

Right now, I am on a 5 night stay with 2 reservations merged -- 1 free cat1-4 night followed by 4 paid nights -- Checkout is Jan 1. I have no idea how this will be processed. !

Last edited by MarkOK; Dec 28, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Great to see. I'm still disappointed that Hyatt continues to inform bloggers pretty much exclusively of changes to the program...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Pingtung
Great to see. I'm still disappointed that Hyatt continues to inform bloggers pretty much exclusively of changes to the program...
For the few minor changes in tier levels -- I really don't give two hoots, but this is something that I think they would want to email out (and maybe that is forthcoming -- it seems for most things emails come out a day after something is announced otherwise).

Announcement is at the front page as well now:
https://world.hyatt.com/
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Step in the right direction, for sure.

Next, let me earn nights credits for up to three rooms at a time.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Combine that with the 55 night requirement for returning globalists, and that will make status just that much easier to retain. Great job Hyatt... and finally! (is this because they lost too many globalists?)
The 55-nights is more "Globalist Lite" since it would not come with TSUs until you hit 60 nights. I'm a big fan of lounge access and all that, but the TSUs are a very big draw for Globalist status, and I doubt there are lots of folks happy to stop at 55 nights with no TSUs.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:27 pm

Everything I have been told including from my PL rep who researched it prior to replying, is that 55 night requals WILL get dsu.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
A day late, and a dollar short, as usual.
Indeed. Let’s see how long it takes Hyatt to realize that these changes too don’t make WOH a winner amongst their old time dedicated customers.
Markie, bbbb and cuthroat like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Will free night certs earned in 2017 count towards elite status if redeemed in 2018 (assuming you're still within the expiration)? Expiration bump from 120 to 180 days will not apply to any certs earned in 2017, hoping those certs will still count towards elite status if redeemed in the new year.

I've been digging around the various blogs/comments and WoH terms but can't seem to find a definitive answer.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K / AA EXP / VX Gold / WOH Globalist / SPG Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bronchial
Will free night certs earned in 2017 count towards elite status if redeemed in 2018 (assuming you're still within the expiration)?
According to Gary Leff's article, any free night certs issued in 2017 will not apply to the new policy. Only new certs issued from 1/1/2018 will earn elite stay credit. Sadly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.