FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   I miss the welcome amenity points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1884891-i-miss-welcome-amenity-points.html)

HoustonConsultant Dec 28, 2017 12:52 am

I miss the welcome amenity points

I did 66 nights in about 25 stays this year. There were some Hyatt Places in there (because that is all Hyatt has in Richmond).

With Glob/Diamond welcome amenity points, it would be 21,500 points that could be flexibly used for hotels at any category level.

SPG/Marriott still do welcome points, and I'm hoping the new leadership here brings that back.

Aventine Dec 28, 2017 1:19 am

I miss them too.

craigthemif Dec 28, 2017 1:20 am

Instead of 21,500 points you earned a free night at a Category 1-4 and another 1-7 free night. I know the haters don't like the 4-month window for those certs, but it's not like we received a lump of coal.

I miss the amenity too, especially at the cheapskate hotels that never offered anything. But in several nicer hotels I still get the same bottle of wine, fruit, chocolates whatever that I used to get as a Diamond.

rwm818 Dec 28, 2017 7:26 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29221882)
Instead of 21,500 points you earned a free night at a Category 1-4 and another 1-7 free night. I know the haters don't like the 4-month window for those certs, but it's not like we received a lump of coal.

I miss the amenity too, especially at the cheapskate hotels that never offered anything. But in several nicer hotels I still get the same bottle of wine, fruit, chocolates whatever that I used to get as a Diamond.

My experience is the same - rec'd full-size bottle of wine (Latitude 33...not bad) at GH - Sao Paulo.
No wine - but full fruit tray & chocolate "bundle" at PH - Zurich

HoustonConsultant Dec 28, 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29221882)

Not exactly a lump of coal, but there is a grand total of one Category 4 hotel that would fit my travel patterns and benefit from a free night. The Cat 1-7 obviously fits more places, but I'm going to need to go out of my way to use it within the 4-month window.

I'd happily give those up for 20k+ points that I could use within my normal travel patterns.

There is no way we'll even see the numbers, but I have to assume the number of Globalist stays at HP/HH dropped a fair amount this year without the benefit of the welcome points.

antonius66 Dec 28, 2017 8:24 am

Yup and my cat 4 night is about to expire and I will struggle to get good use out of the 7. That is the intent of course. Yes, they did replace it with something of value, but a fraction of the previous value. Given the 60 night requirement, lack of awards counting, and the insanely ludicrous 4 month expiry, the nights are worth a small amount compared to points.

Kacee Dec 28, 2017 8:45 am

There's been an overall decrease in points earning opportunities under WoH - the welcome amenity, the lounge closure comp, and the lack of promos.

sfozrhfco Dec 28, 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29222962)
There's been an overall decrease in points earning opportunities under WoH - the welcome amenity, the lounge closure comp, and the lack of promos.

Not paying cash for Hyatt stays has been the biggest reason for my decrease in points earning. Finishing up my 106th night with SPG plus a few with Marriott so I still earned lots of points. Looking forward to my last Hyatt stay next month to use up the rest of my points. Unless things radically change, I won’t miss Hyatt.

MSPeconomist Dec 28, 2017 11:04 am

I miss the welcome amenity points too, as well as the "pick a beverage from column A and a food treat from column B" welcome amenity.

The problems with the free night certs include the following:

Four month expiration, which is especially bad for those who cannot time their 60th night to occur as late in the calendar year as possible

Can't use TSUs with the free night certs

No elite qualifying nights with the free night certs, including any PAID nights adjacent to the free night

beachfan Dec 28, 2017 12:34 pm

120 day expiration is now 180 days ; at least for 2018 certs.

creativeguess1 Dec 28, 2017 9:35 pm

We need a recession

unfortunately housing is going straight up from here, never will pause again.

Political climate is is too stable.

MarkOK Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by rwm818 (Post 29222647)
My experience is the same - rec'd full-size bottle of wine (Latitude 33...not bad) at GH - Sao Paulo.
No wine - but full fruit tray & chocolate "bundle" at PH - Zurich

My stay at GH DFW (ongoing) came with a bottle of wine and a tray of sweet and savory snacks delivered to my room 30 minutes after check in. Is there a thread for Globalist Experiences - Welcome Amenity?? It would be nice to document properties that do this sort of thing.

Colin Dec 29, 2017 11:13 pm

i always took the food and beverage amenity. and more often than not also got the 1000 points.

gunksny Dec 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Agreed- its made a significant dent in points earnings for many - it's roughly equivalent to points earnings for a $150 rate for a single night stay. The 2500 point bonus for lounge closure was even better.