Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

NEW: minimum 48 hour cancellation policy as of Jan 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:58 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG

New minimum cancellation deadline of 48 hours going into effect as of January 1st, 2018. This also applies to existing reservations, when changes are made after 1st Jan, so be careful.
For Explorists and Globalists, a 24 hour cancellation is offered (if hotel applies the standard 48h).

I somewhat understand this policy, I thought a 6pm cancellation was actually very generous.

Effective for reservations made or changed on or after January 1, 2018, Hyatt will implement a revised minimum cancellation policy that allows hotels to manage guestroom availability more effectively, including offering rooms and upgrades to rooms that would have otherwise gone unoccupied.

This new default cancellation policy requires guests to cancel their reservations at least 48 hours in advance to avoid a cancellation fee. Because each Hyatt hotel may continue to set its own cancellation policy based on local market dynamics and expectations, we always encourage guests to check the cancellation policy at the time of booking. It will continue to be transparently communicated at the time of booking and in guest emails.

While this change is designed to improve room availability, we recognize that flexibility is important and will offer relaxed criteria for our most frequent guests. Beginning with reservations made or changed on January 1, 2018, World of Hyatt Explorist, Globalist or Lifetime Globalist members will be able to cancel up to 24 hours before arrival when the hotel’s cancellation policy is 48 hours. This relaxed criteria will apply to all hotels excluding Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Miraval resorts and M life resort destinations and excludes pre-paid and non-refundable rates. It will also not apply when a hotel’s cancellation policy exceeds 48 hours.

Hyatt Newsroom - News Releases

Last edited by 59Impala; Dec 22, 2017 at 3:53 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

WOH keeps getting better and better.
moulder3 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I've noticed a wide range of cancellation policies -- 72 hrs seems nearly as common to me as 24 hrs. So, I guess the standard before this announcement was 24 hrs? and now they are moving it to 48 hrs for non explor/global-ists? I don't think I've ever seen a Hyatt cancellation policy less than 24 hours (i.e. 6PM day of). So for us, non issue?

This may not be a great business decision though unless other chains follow -- particularly for the interstate-side Hyatt Places that are across the street from hamptons with much more forgiving policies.

I take this as another sign that Hyatt (and the industry as a whole) feels like they are doing well-enough to push back.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm wondering whether Glob searches and reservation confirmations will show the 24 hours or will indicate 48 hours and create confusion when Globs point out the policy.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Makes sense. We're all paying for inventory spoilage and this will cut down on that.

Maybe Hyatt will start offering a fully flexible rate such as the full F/J/Y offered by air carriers. It will cost more, but may always be cancelled for a refund (or no penalty). People who need the flexibility can pay for it.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe Hyatt will start offering a fully flexible rate such as the full F/J/Y offered by air carriers. It will cost more, but may always be cancelled for a refund (or no penalty). People who need the flexibility can pay for it.
Let's not give them too many ideas taken from the airlines I could see them offering this type of flexible rate, but I could also see even more restrictive rates in the future, such as 7-day cancellation policies (I believe Hilton has hinted that it's exploring that, as well as semi-flexible rates that are not prepaid, but would come with some sort of cancellation penalty, at any time).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I'..

This may not be a great business decision though unless other chains follow -- particularly for the interstate-side Hyatt Places that are across the street from hamptons with much more forgiving policies.
Marriott, spg and ihg went 48 hr some time ago although i am not sure how universal it is... i dont think they have exception for elites either..
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador; AA Exec Plat; UA Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
Marriott, spg and ihg went 48 hr some time ago although i am not sure how universal it is... i dont think they have exception for elites either..
IHG did not go to 48 hrs, their policy is generally 24 hours, with the exception of Kimpton. (see article below)
Hyatt tightens cancellation policy: Travel Weekly
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markko
IHG did not go to 48 hrs, their policy is generally 24 hours, with the exception of Kimpton. (see article below)
Hyatt tightens cancellation policy: Travel Weekly
ooops i meant to say hilton went 48hr along with marriott.. i dont stay often there so not sure how universal it is..

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/hilton-changes-cancellation-policy/
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Well, one more reason to avoid booking Hyatt. I like their properties and was ready to go for Diamond, as I had already re-qualified for Hilton Diamond and Fairmont Platinum.

If you are not one of the big chains like Hilton or Mariott/SPG, you need to add value to attract road warriors like me. Fairmont succeeded in my case, because their program was great until Accor bought them. FPC was awesome and incited me to do 47 nights with them and none were disappointing.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So with a 48 hour cancellation policy, if Check-in time is 3pm on a Friday, does that mean you need to cancel by 3pm on the Wednesday prior?
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 5:31 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
So with a 48 hour cancellation policy, if Check-in time is 3pm on a Friday, does that mean you need to cancel by 3pm on the Wednesday prior?
That is my understanding, too. Unless you're an Explorist or a Globalist, then it's Thursday 3pm.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
In typical stellar manner, Hyatt IT bungled the rollout of this. My existing reservations, which when booked had a 24 hour cancellation policy, and have not been modified in any way, are being shown with a 48 hour cancellation policy. And the information is being propagated out since I first noticed it when trying to cancel a reservation thru my corporate booking system which brings up the cancellation policies before allowing you to cancel the reservation. I know that i have solid ground for multiple reasons it I was between 48 hours and 24 hours (original booking confirmation plus the policy to allow Globs to go to 24 hrs), but just annoying that they can't even bother to code it properly to show the correct and original cancellation policy
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:24 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasonvr
In typical stellar manner, Hyatt IT bungled the rollout of this. My existing reservations, which when booked had a 24 hour cancellation policy, and have not been modified in any way, are being shown with a 48 hour cancellation policy. And the information is being propagated out since I first noticed it when trying to cancel a reservation thru my corporate booking system which brings up the cancellation policies before allowing you to cancel the reservation. I know that i have solid ground for multiple reasons it I was between 48 hours and 24 hours (original booking confirmation plus the policy to allow Globs to go to 24 hrs), but just annoying that they can't even bother to code it properly to show the correct and original cancellation policy
same here - it is clearly stated existing reservation would only get the 48 hours deadline when changes are made after Jan 1. all my reservations show a minimum of 48 hours, I have some 20 reservations already made in 2017.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
same here - it is clearly stated existing reservation would only get the 48 hours deadline when changes are made after Jan 1. all my reservations show a minimum of 48 hours, I have some 20 reservations already made in 2017.
Yup. me too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.