Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Small but very short notice list of category changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Only 9 Hotels are Moving Up or Down Hyatt Category This Year - View from the Wing

short notice - luckily only one or two major upward revidions but still bad form and not what I remember in prior years, which had plenty of notice.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
I can live with that!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Hyatt Carmel from Cat 6 to Cat 7, but it's not like you'd find award availability anyways.

Hyatt Place Long Island/NYC from 8,000 to 12,000. Knew 8k was too good to be true.

The Confidante from Cat 6 to Cat 4. Paid nights seems to be around ~$200?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Category 4 is perfect for the confidante. definitely shouldn't be a 6
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:40 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’m actually (pleasantly) surprised as I was expecting this would be the year when a good number of city center properties would be moving from Cat 4 to 5, greatly impacting the annual Hyatt Visa certs.

Though I also suspect Hyatt is too busy dealing with WOH to implement a big devaluation of points this year.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Hyatt Carmel from Cat 6 to Cat 7, but it's not like you'd find award availability anyways.
I've spent a few nights there on awards. That said, I would hesitate to return at Category 7.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:44 pm

Too bad about HP Santa Cruz

It was an amazing deal at 8k pts a night
It’s just a Hyatt Place but makes for a great weekend away with kids for cheap
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by jacobguo
I see reward night availability for Ocean View King at Hyatt Carmel nearly every weekend over next four months.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Orlando cash rates have been going up for a while and the airport Hyatt Place was a category two several years ago, so it's not surprising. I always pay cash on a corporate rate but I guess 8000 isn't too bad (though it is a 60% increase). Santa Cruz is another that, given rates, isn't a surprise. Marriott properties there are pretty high (Category 7 or 8 of 9 for Fairfield Inns). Also interesting that there are no international properties on the list except the one in China. Given the dollar is down ten percent against the Euro this year, I would have thought that more European properties might be increasing since a bunch went down last year.

Again, this just confirms to me that Hyatt is definitely the best chain when it comes to category changes (i.e. with the fewest annual adjustments and the best ratio of ups to downs). Even this year when ups outnumber downs by 8 to 1, since only eight hotels out of ~740 are moving up, that's still an OK percentage (1%).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Is there no information posted on the Hyatt site?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
it is weird that there is no link in OMAATs article
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:04 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It’s a little odd that Hyatt gave such little notice and also hasn’t communicated the changes directly to WOH members.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Hyatt Place St Paul was a steal at Cat 1 -- it was the only Hyatt in Minnesota at Cat 1 and by far it was the best limited service Hyatt in Minnesota (and disregarding location differences, I would choose it above the HR Minneapolis if I was traveling without want of hotel-dining or lounge access). When I did pts+cash there a few months ago, my pt valuation was 5.5 cents/pt! Ah well, I knew it was too good to last.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:36 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I checked a couple of properties on the Hyatt web site and it looks like these changes have been implemented. It's really disappointing that Hyatt hasn't bothered to communicate these changes other than through some bloggers ...
eefor jfp likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by beachfan
Only 9 Hotels are Moving Up or Down Hyatt Category This Year - View from the Wing

short notice - luckily only one or two major upward revidions but still bad form and not what I remember in prior years, which had plenty of notice.
Wittingly or not, Hyatt management have tested the waters and now they may know they can continue to do these kind of "no-notice"/"very limited notice" devaluations without it causing enough of a customer backlash to amount to being a problem for them were they to continue on this customer-unfriendly path.

This kind of development is not a good thing for Hyatt's "loyalty" program customers, as it signals an increasingly hostile approach toward Hyatt program customers.
notquiteaff and dw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.