Pay for a week, stay a night?

Old Nov 10, 17, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp
Pay for a week, stay a night?

Any issues receiving 7 nights stay credit at Hyatt properties under the above scenario? I would plan to be there a day or two, but not the entire week.
Old Nov 10, 17, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
If you have luggage/belongings left there, and let them know you might be gone part of the time, it’ll probably be ok.
Old Nov 11, 17, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If housekeeping find an empty room, you might be checked out early. Best to let the hotel know what you're doing.
Old Nov 11, 17, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Disagree - I wouldn't tell the hotel what you're doing - better to put your DND sign on the door and instruct the hotel that you want to be left alone for a few days
Old Nov 11, 17, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Something?,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I haven't had any issues with four day stays, just leave the DND sign up and then check out on the last day (app or call in).
Old Nov 11, 17, 8:57 pm

I agree, do not tell them you are leaving. Simply give institutions to not disturb for the duration of the stay.

While itís supposed to be BIS (I guess BIB for an hotel stay) stay credit, I canít imagine the hotels mind this. They get paid and there are no/fewer utility and daily housekeeping costs. The guest gets stay and night credit. Itís a win win situation.

In the good old days of GP, there were reports of mutually beneficial arrangements in which the hotel cooperated and made it a ďvirtualĒ stay. i.e. they sold the same room again to an actual staying guest, while still posting stay credit to the mattress runner.
Old Nov 11, 17, 11:54 pm

Housekeeping will most likely alert FD if they see DND sign for over a few days. On a 2 or 3 night stay, I'd probably not notify FD, but on a week stay, that's a bit iffy. Do you plan leaving your belongings in the hotel and retrieve them on the day of check out?
Old Nov 11, 17, 11:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
...better to put your DND sign on the door and instruct the hotel that you want to be left alone for a few days
I would be careful about this. Since the Mandalay Bay massacre in Vegas I've heard a lot about hotels changing policies and no longer honoring the DND signs for more than a day.

Having them make a note that you'll be coming and going over the course of the week, but please don't check you out if they think it looks like you've departed -- or something like that -- may be a safer approach.
Old Nov 12, 17, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post
I would be careful about this. Since the Mandalay Bay massacre in Vegas I've heard a lot about hotels changing policies and no longer honoring the DND signs for more than a day.

Having them make a note that you'll be coming and going over the course of the week, but please don't check you out if they think it looks like you've departed -- or something like that -- may be a safer approach.
+1. I stand by my earlier advice, having done it previously.

DND signs don't matter. Hotels have to periodically make sure there's no dead bodies, etc. in the room. An empty room with no luggage and a made bed just raises concerns and/or the assumption that you've left early.

All you have to do is say you want a base for the week, but will be coming and going (and will be back before the week is out) so still need the room. Leave a note on the desk, let the manager know, etc.
Old Nov 12, 17, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World View Post

Thatís hardly surprising given the recent mass shooting from a Las Vegas hotel room. And, come to think of it, there are many reasons including deceased guest, incapacitated/unconscious guest, or possible criminal activity (human trafficking, drugs, hostage situation, terrorist activity/preparation etc... ) which would warrant suspicion and investigation if a DND sign were left on for an inordinate amount of time.

So, the above suggestion is the best approach. Tell hotel you will come and go, and not to check out before the scheduled date on the reservation. Then call or check out online at the end.
Old Nov 13, 17, 6:17 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
I agree, do not tell them you are leaving. Simply give institutions to not disturb for the duration of the stay.
A simple daily phone call solves this problem. You can do it while remaining truthful.

"Hello, Front Desk? I'm a registered guest at your hotel, in room xxxx. I'm tied up at a customer some distance away, therefore I have not made it back to my room. However, all is well and I definitely want to remain checked in. Thank you."
Old Nov 13, 17, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For in town stays, I use a “trying to reconcile with my wife so I may be in room but hopefully not.” Just don’t check me out so I can honestly say I’m checked in at the hotel.

Sometimes, they’ll call my cell a few days in to verify.

For these stays, I ask for the worst room on property and that they give my diamond upgrade to another guest that would appreciate it.
Old Nov 13, 17, 4:02 pm

Tell the FD your home is being remodeled and you will be using the room whenever the construction requires you to stay elsewhere. A lot of people do this when their homes are actually being remodeled or repaired. It's also a good idea to tell housekeeping (or leave a note) saying the same thing.
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:31 am

Programs: WN CP, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
A simple daily phone call solves this problem. You can do it while remaining truthful.

"Hello, Front Desk? I'm a registered guest at your hotel, in room xxxx. I'm tied up at a customer some distance away, therefore I have not made it back to my room. However, all is well and I definitely want to remain checked in. Thank you."
This is the one I use quite often, or they'll usually call me around 3PM.
Old Nov 15, 17, 8:53 pm

Aside from the potential change in operations due to the Las Vegas, many hotels conduct welfare checks. In some places, hotels are legally required to make sure guests are okay after X number of days of no contact.

Where I used to work, there was no local law but we still checked on guests after 4 days of no contact. I only remember one time when we got worried. A repeat guest of the hotel essentially vanished, leaving everything in her room. After repeated attempts to contact her via the information we had, we decided to start the process of reporting her as a missing person to the local police. Before we did that, she called and told us that a relative was in a bad car accident and she left in a panic.

I was fortunate to work at hotels that were very well run. I wouldn't expect an average hotel to be as vigilant. But, it's certainly possible. If this stay is an attempt to gain/keep status, I wouldn't assume that leaving the "Do Not Disturb" sign is all that needs to be done here. If you end up not getting 7 nights credited, you'll have to scramble to get that fixed before 2018 arrives.