Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

GH Singapore: children under 12 not allowed in RC after 5pm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

We're schedualed to stay at this property July 2018. According to the hotels website the following is mentioned

Please note: Children under the age of 12 of guests with a Grand Club booking are welcome to enjoy the Grand Club facilities before 5:00pm. Kindly contact the hotel directly for further assistance.

We will be traveling with a 7 year old, and for our child not allowed in the RC would be a major deal breaker for us. Does anyone know if this policy is actually upheld? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyer121
We're schedualed to stay at this property July 2018. According to the hotels website the following is mentioned

Please note: Children under the age of 12 of guests with a Grand Club booking are welcome to enjoy the Grand Club facilities before 5:00pm. Kindly contact the hotel directly for further assistance.

We will be traveling with a 7 year old, and for our child not allowed in the RC would be a major deal breaker for us. Does anyone know if this policy is actually upheld? Thank you in advance for your help.
Probably strictly enforced to keep the lounge from becoming loud and disruptive from loads of local children that came in with their guest or member families.
kpc and craigthemif like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:22 am

Nothing unusual, at least in Asia - you'll probably find that more hotels do this than those who do not. I can't recall off my head any major chain property in Asia which allows children into their cocktail hour at the lounge.

Some lounges prohibit children all day, not just the evening cocktail hour.

Mostly down to hotels choosing to prioritise business travellers' needs, which is generally the intention behind having executive lounges.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
With all due to respect to the OP who may or may not have a well-behaved 7-year old, this is very much a policy of catering to business travellers rather than those seeking an "all-inclusive" resort.

I have been in lounges, especially at the weekend in parts of Asia, where locals have clearly booked a hotel room with the intention of treating lounge attendants as babysitters whilst they enjoy a meal / drink.

Which isn't to say that children are the only problem. I also appreciate when a dress code is enforced, rather than guests visiting the lounge in pyjamas or swimwear.
59Impala likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Yes, true, but only half of the story. For eligible families with children under 12 the complimentary cocktails/hors-d'oevres are served at the pool side bar. I have not personally attended the pool side event, but it seems a great solutuion to avoid the conflicts.
dw likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
Nothing unusual, at least in Asia - you'll probably find that more hotels do this than those who do not. I can't recall off my head any major chain property in Asia which allows children into their cocktail hour at the lounge.

Some lounges prohibit children all day, not just the evening cocktail hour.

Mostly down to hotels choosing to prioritise business travellers' needs, which is generally the intention behind having executive lounges.
I d like to see examples supporting your claims.

having traveled with kids rather extensively (china, hk, malaysia, sin, thailand, indonesia) we rarely encountered restrictions. In some cases there were 1 or max 2 hours of cocktail hour limitation. Its been a few years since visiting sin but Iirc ic singapore had 2 hr cocktail hour (during which there was an alternative offered iirc) and Fairmont had no such limitation.

op, contact the hotel if they indeed have no kids after 5 policy without reasonable alternative book away.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I have also stayed at > 50-60 different hyatt hotels in US and internationally. This is the 1st time I have heard of this. If the rules of WOH is to allow Hyatt members and their guests (including children) access to lounge, if they make this exception, they need to make alternative compensations for excluding kids from the evening offerings. They can do something like what HR Churchill with kids only allowed in the family lounge. Those who don't want exposure to the kids can voluntarily not go to the lounge vs those with kids be involuntarily be excluded from the lounge. We all pay the same rates.
sandra2 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by azepine00
I d like to see examples supporting your claims.

having traveled with kids rather extensively (china, hk, malaysia, sin, thailand, indonesia) we rarely encountered restrictions. In some cases there were 1 or max 2 hours of cocktail hour limitation. Its been a few years since visiting sin but Iirc ic singapore had 2 hr cocktail hour (during which there was an alternative offered iirc) and Fairmont had no such limitation.

op, contact the hotel if they indeed have no kids after 5 policy without reasonable alternative book away.
FS Seoul has to be over 12.
GH Seoul not after 5:30pm. Conrad Seoul not after 4:30pm.

FS Hong Kong charges even if they're registered in the club room.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
As of this summer, Fairmont did have a child policy for their evening hours. GH SIN at least in the main lounge, has a separate area that kids can go to, to be quieter. When you hit the top floor, go right instead of left.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I was just at the GH Singapore and didn’t realize that’s what the small room on the right is for.

The lounge was very busy in the evening. Completely fully during my stay. Mostly were business travelers discussing business so I can understand why they want to restrict young children.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another example is Westin Chosun Seoul. IIRC isn't no kids under 12 in the lounge after 5 pm and none under 7 at breakfast. Families with kids are offered the buffet breakfast downstairs instead.

Unfortunately GH ICN does allow kids in the lounge--and it's a huge problem IME--but when occupancy is high enough to operate both lounges, I've been told that one is adults only. They have a pool for children, but unfortunately the kids use the other pools.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by flyer121
We will be traveling with a 7 year old, and for our child not allowed in the RC would be a major deal breaker for us. Does anyone know if this policy is actually upheld?
I sure hope so. I would note the hotel to help favourably in booking decisions.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:03 pm

Yes, children are not allowed and they enforce this rule at the entrance of the lounge.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:09 pm

Watch out... here come the "anyone who doesn't want to be bombarded by children is a terrible heartless monster and having kids everywhere is the spice of life" posts.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
Watch out... here come the "anyone who doesn't want to be bombarded by children is a terrible heartless monster and having kids everywhere is the spice of life" posts.
Not at all. I like my kids, but not other people's kids. I also don't like loud and obnoxious drunk adults, including ones screaming over a football game at the HR DC. I just think there should be an alternative for those with kids. If not a separate lounge, then eg 4-6pm for everyone, 6-8pm for adults only. Excluding family with kids for Globalist does not seem right. Globalists have complained about much less with the devaluation.
gspurr and sandra2 like this.

Last edited by thucanhho; Nov 5, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.