Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

GH Singapore: children under 12 not allowed in RC after 5pm?

GH Singapore: children under 12 not allowed in RC after 5pm?

Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The smarter hotels will have a separate family or kids lounge like GH Seoul was forced to do.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thucanhho
Not at all. I like my kids, but not other people's kids.
This pretty much nails it, although perhaps unintentionally.

Most people love their own little angels (even though many are actually little monsters), and don't care much for everybody else's kids.

When you're travelling with your own kids, you are scandalised by not being catered for. When you're travelling without and just want a quiet drink and snack, you get annoyed at strangers bringing their kids and then not ensuring that they behave appropriate to the venue.

As mentioned by others with examples, a truly well-managed hotel will cater for children elsewhere.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Most people love their own little angels (even though many are actually little monsters), and don't care much for everybody else's kids.

When you're travelling with your own kids, you are scandalised by not being catered for.

Expecting the same treatment for a guest with kids as guest without kids is NOT asking to be catered to.

It is a generalization to say that ALL parents don't try to control their kids and that ALL kids misbehave in the lounge.
ZBigFam likes this.

Last edited by thucanhho; Nov 6, 2017 at 11:58 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I've stayed in GH S'pore a number of times. I was thinking they do have a "kids lounge" room off to the side? But maybe not.

I know for sure GH Dubai does...and several others I've been to (as others have said, primarily in the ME/Asia region)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rwm818
I've stayed in GH S'pore a number of times. I was thinking they do have a "kids lounge" room off to the side? But maybe not.

I know for sure GH Dubai does...and several others I've been to (as others have said, primarily in the ME/Asia region)
Yes, there is a small room to the right of the stairs.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by antonius66
Watch out... here come the "anyone who doesn't want to be bombarded by children is a terrible heartless monster and having kids everywhere is the spice of life" posts.
If we were talking about a swimming pool, then sure, I would say excluding kids is just a petty grouchy thing to do. But for a lounge during happy hour? I don't have any problem with kid restrictions during happy hour. What is she to do? Sit and stare at the ceiling? I don't think so. She can enjoy a movie in the room and my wife and I will have a couple cocktails (and yeah, sometimes I leave my kid in the room alone, what a monster I am). As for breakfast, I don't see why kids should be disallowed, but if I get free breakfast at the restaurant instead, then I'd be more than happy to let the lounge exclude kids too.

As for airport lounges, I would have a problem with kid exclusions. My kid has a right to a comfy chair to read her book next to me just as much as an old grouch does.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by thucanhho
We all pay the same rates.
That of course is mostly not true. Depending on their age, in most cases children stay free, and then of course with lounge access they eat free...

Which is why many lounges are packed with families on weekends.

I've never understood the logic of kids stay/eat policies, and I especially cannot stand the gall of most North Americans complaining that their teenagers aren't comped in most of the rest of the world.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Most Australian hotels prevent children from club lounges in the evening because cocktails are being served.

Some will accommodate families with drinks and food in a separate part of the hotel but not all.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
My last time in the GH lounge 5 years ago, kids were definitely allowed. Some were pretty obnoxious.

I have nothing against kids in the lounge if they’re not disruptive. I have my own monster, who is too young to leave in the room alone. A separate club room is a good solution, so we don’t have to go one at a time to the lounge.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:24 am

The Hyatt Regency Montreal doesn't allow children in the lounge after 5pm because alcohol is being served. It's not much of a burden since the lounge is not worth spending any time in, adult or otherwise.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by OsakaWino

I've never understood the logic of kids stay/eat policies, and I especially cannot stand the gall of most North Americans complaining that their teenagers aren't comped in most of the rest of the world.
Well the logic is rather simple -- families make up a key customer group that fills hotels on weekends and other 'slow periods' and so hotels compete to attract them.

In this arena, the one thing that I find myself being a grouch about is the 'family' pricing for zoo/aquarium type memberships. At many places, my family of 3 (2 adults, 1 child) pays the same price for a 'family membership' as a family of 6 (or more) and it is a venue that is mostly oriented for the kids fun to begin with. And, then there is things like sibling discounts at child-care (which sometimes isn't much, but sometimes is steep enough to be off-putting) -- these are the types of things that make me feel like I am subsidizing other families paying full freight for my one kid.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
AFter reading through this thread I am still not clear as to what the ultimate answer to the original question is. A few have mentioned a smaller room attached to the Club. Is this room still there and are families allowed to use it at any time during Club hours?

I think a "family area" in clubs works fairly well if this rule is enforced and it is separate enough from the rest of the club. The GH Bangkok has a room that is used primarily for families and I was very happy to take my young kids in there where they wouldn't disturb others. I don't think, however, that the hotel has any sort of official policy on families having to use this room. The HR Da Nang has a clearly marked adults only area, which is probably a godsend for adult only travellers at this very family oriented resort.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gspurr
AFter reading through this thread I am still not clear as to what the ultimate answer to the original question is. A few have mentioned a smaller room attached to the Club. Is this room still there and are families allowed to use it at any time during Club hours?

I think a "family area" in clubs works fairly well if this rule is enforced and it is separate enough from the rest of the club. The GH Bangkok has a room that is used primarily for families and I was very happy to take my young kids in there where they wouldn't disturb others. I don't think, however, that the hotel has any sort of official policy on families having to use this room. The HR Da Nang has a clearly marked adults only area, which is probably a godsend for adult only travellers at this very family oriented resort.
Yes, it is still there. I was just there last week.

There is no elevator access to the club lounge floor. When you walk up to the top floor, there's a podium facing you. The main club lounge is to the left, but there's a decent sized room on the right. At first I didn't know why the room existed. After reading through the thread here, now it makes sense. There's a very large TV there too.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by flyer121
We're schedualed to stay at this property July 2018. According to the hotels website the following is mentioned

Please note: Children under the age of 12 of guests with a Grand Club booking are welcome to enjoy the Grand Club facilities before 5:00pm. Kindly contact the hotel directly for further assistance.

We will be traveling with a 7 year old, and for our child not allowed in the RC would be a major deal breaker for us. Does anyone know if this policy is actually upheld? Thank you in advance for your help.
I've stayed there many times and the policy is strictly enforced. The policy may be a response to Singapore's liquor laws.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA
They do not serve alcohol before 5. It is very crowded in there so I was glad not to have to compete for seating with the under 12 crowd. Call me mean, but the NY GH Club is a real nightmare during holiday periods with kids eating dinner for free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.