Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Bangkok Sukhumvit REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

Just stayed in the new Hyatt Place property in BKK ($72/night) on the second day of its soft-opening.

Is an impressive property. Great to have USB and universal plugs all over the room. Hotel just a short walk from Phrom Phong BTS station.

More pictures here (disclaimer, it's my blog)

dsquared37, tjae and uggboy like this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Looks nice. Its very close to my home. I can make globalist again by staying here for 40 nights a year lol.
thucanhho likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I have a couple of stays planned here prior to year's end.

The room pictured is spacious with a wide open western view which makes me wonder how the a/c will handle itself on hot afternoons. If you had a higher floor the views would be nice... as it is the Emporium parking garage is clearly viewed.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I was actually staying at Grand Hyatt Erawan when the GC manager mentioned Hyatt Place was opening. So I changed to Hyatt place (instead of Marriott Marquis) for one night.

I recognized some of the staff from GH Erawan. There were 9 guests checked-in on the first day, and each of us were given a cert of being their inaugural first guest. Bottle of Chandon was waiting in the room which was a lovely touch!

Assuming the back-lit signboard is up and running already, Hyatt Place is across the street from Ariston Hotel (purple sign).

Beds are slightly hard. The best beds I have slept so far is surprisingly @ Aloft BKK

Breakfast is ok. Missing an egg-station. Hopefully they will check out other hotels breakfast offerings. Take note that officially breakfast ends @ 0930H, which is bit early IMHO.

If you like taking a long shower, the shower stall may get flooded.

If you are walking along the sidewalk to Phom Phrong BTS, be careful of stray electrical wires.

It's great to see another Hyatt option in BKK, but with so many hotels nearby, it is going to be tough. Marriott Marquis is my new goto hotel, esp if you have Platinum status.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Nice looking room, except for the door to the hallway opening directly into it, with no entryway. I wonder if they're all like that?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Nice looking room, except for the door to the hallway opening directly into it, with no entryway. I wonder if they're all like that?
Well, at least when the door opens into the room, you can't see the bed from the hallway (only looking at the sofa side).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Well, at least when the door opens into the room, you can't see the bed from the hallway (only looking at the sofa side).
But it also means the bed backs onto the hallway which will not deaden any hallway noise.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ws8n
It's great to see another Hyatt option in BKK, but with so many hotels nearby, it is going to be tough.
Yeah, that was my thought; looked at it idly for some dates I'll be in Bangkok, saw prices comparable or more to the Hilton Sukhumvit and Millennium and went "nah, I think I'd go for the actual five stars over the limited-service one if I get five stars for LESS".

There are some dates where the prices are more reasonable, but even then, definitely some "you're a Hyatt sucke-I mean, loyalist" tax going on there compared to some three stars in the area. But I find this to be true of a lot of chains in Bangkok. Limiting yourself to a chain really limits your options, and I've found that a lot of the benefits of status (nice suites, breakfast) just means adding 500-1000 THB or so to the daily bill. As such, I'd rather focus on best bang for buck than chain loyalty in the Bangkok market.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, that was my thought; looked at it idly for some dates I'll be in Bangkok, saw prices comparable or more to the Hilton Sukhumvit and Millennium and went "nah, I think I'd go for the actual five stars over the limited-service one if I get five stars for LESS".
I haven't priced out Hilton Soi 24 in some time but HP is showing 2375++ which is significantly less than anything I can remember seeing at Hilton.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
But it also means the bed backs onto the hallway which will not deaden any hallway noise.
I do not mind backing onto the hallway as much as the bed being visible from the hallway.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I do not mind backing onto the hallway as much as the bed being visible from the hallway.
When the door opens, the door itself blocks the view of much of the bed, so that someone walking down the hall at the right moment would only see a corner of the foot of the bed,

Anyway, I don't see why this is such a big deal unless you're expecting a housekeeper to open the door when you're in bed.

BTW, what is the cream colored sitting area in the OP's second photo? Is this the presidential suite or part of the lobby?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When the door opens, the door itself blocks the view of much of the bed, so that someone walking down the hall at the right moment would only see a corner of the foot of the bed,

Anyway, I don't see why this is such a big deal unless you're expecting a housekeeper to open the door when you're in bed.
It would be an issue if you are not travelling alone, and someone is in bed when you are opening the door.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:04 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
wow - what 1st world issues with a bed...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The issue I have is not just the lack of privacy but also the noise . . . when the room opens directly on the hallway you tend to get lots of hallway noise, i.e., slamming doors.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:51 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
The issue I have is not just the lack of privacy but also the noise . . . when the room opens directly on the hallway you tend to get lots of hallway noise, i.e., slamming doors.
That's my main complaint with old/historical hotels, where the doors often open up right into the room, near the bed. I'm a bit surprised that a new build would have this design, if even for only a small number of rooms.

The best design (which I've only seen at a few properties) is when hotels have a secondary door that closes between the main door, closet and bathroom area and the sleeping area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.